Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

Village hotel

Had a decent stay at the fairly new village hotel easy access to the port, loads of free parking, super king size bed plus lots more .

They do loads of deals for example we got a club room plus 2 course meal and a glass of Prosecco each for £65 and the food is a lot better than your Premier inn offering the only slight quirkinesses is that the bathroom is separated from the room by a  glass screen which smokes up with the touch of a button and the room is compact.DE2103F2-AF13-4243-BF66-67601209BBB2.thumb.jpeg.00b372f8c210d4241a6ee0a9435fcee2.jpegF0FB7D30-1BB4-44DC-91A6-D3C050520098.thumb.jpeg.8e931e7a68e1cf77623273c5dedababa.jpeg867F0F3F-FB9A-41F4-B498-BCB48FADDB5B.thumb.jpeg.417a66c96d63a9f490056637750800bd.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the report..We are staying here on our return to Portsmouth in July. Just booked room only due to late arrival (late tidal departure from St Malo) 

We’ve stayed in the Aberdeen one as well which has a proper bathroom!!! 

I would always go for a club room though the standard rooms have a chance of being above the gym which is popular and noisy from 6 am, plus you get the full sky package, water , coffee machine and a rather useless Dyson fan thing oh and an iPhone to use no idea what for though.

( They send you an email offering to bid for an upgrade a couple of days before if you haven’t booked a club room.)

We are staying at the Solihull one on our journey gone from this holiday.

Edited by neilcvx
  • Like 1

If I remember right, the bathroom glass frosts, except for the door itself? Weird!

I'm not sure how the hotel is doing in general, as I think it's aimed at the office complex next door and to compete with the Marriot down the road which had a refurb in response to the Village being built. There are generally good deals on the weekend though when business guests are lower in number. The standard rooms are quite compact though and might be seem a bit too small for any more than a night or two.

• Like 1

The club room was very  small but ok for a night and a lot smaller than the Aberdeen club room, the toilet is very strange and your correct @Jim the toilet door doesn’t smoke up as you can see in my photos , I personally wouldn’t spend anymore than a night there but it’s ideal for pre or post ferry stays, it’s aimed at the business market I presume going by the amount of sad single dinners that I saw.

Stopped at the Village hotel in Solihull on the way up the road had my offer of a room upgrade to club room declined (£9) went to check in its self service check in with friendly staff always present anyway the self service didn’t work the member of staff saw that it wouldn’t work so stepped into help and I said “it won’t give me a free upgrade to a club room” “I can fix that she replied “ free upgrade was the result, decent room a lot larger than Portsmouth with a proper bathroom and air con that went down to a decent temperature although it switched off about 2 am.

Down for breakfast I couldn’t remember if I had pre paid breakfast (25% discount)or not so I asked at the restaurant desk, “no you haven’t but we won’t worry about that” 2 free fairly decent buffet breakfasts.

All in all a decent stay and a Tesco on the way back to fill up at decent priced fuel.

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Stopped at the Village hotel in Solihull on the way up the road had my offer of a room upgrade to club room declined (£9) went to check in its self service check in with friendly staff always present anyway the self service didn’t work the member of staff saw that it wouldn’t work so stepped into help and I said “it won’t give me a free upgrade to a club room” “I can fix that she replied “ free upgrade was the result, decent room a lot larger than Portsmouth with a proper bathroom and air con that went down to a decent temperature although it switched off about 2 am.

Down for breakfast I couldn’t remember if I had pre paid breakfast (25% discount)or not so I asked at the restaurant desk, “no you haven’t but we won’t worry about that” 2 free fairly decent buffet breakfasts.

All in all a decent stay and a Tesco on the way back to fill up at decent priced fuel.

Thanks Neil, we're at the Portsmouth one in a couple of weeks I'll give it a go😆.

Edited by Paully
  • Like 1

Well we did give it a go last Friday and it was exactly as you described..We arrived just as a `Fifty Shades` ladies only night was about to start. There were about 150 women of all ages, types, shapes and undress oh yes and well popped up by 7.30..As a result we wangled a free upgrade to a Club Room, on the 4th floor, which is exactly as you described..quirky, novelties but very small..Certainly would not pay top dollar for them. I`ve stayed in the one at Hull and the standard rooms were far better. One big mark down by me was no kettle and coffee sachets. Instead it had one of those awful Tassimo pod machines. They are the spawn of the devil and the coffee equivalent of an Oxo cube...Thankfully it didnt work so spared me morning desperation. The staff in the restaurant were extremely friendly and helpful but nothing doing with regard to free breakfasts..sadly..but she did bring me a nice pot of fresh drinkable coffee for which I was grateful..

Not sure I`d stay there again, as a first choice though.

Yes it’s not for everyone we didn’t mind the small room in the Portsmouth one (Solihull &  Aberdeen have much bigger rooms) we were on the 8:15 sailing so it was mainly just for sleeping in, as you say I wouldn’t pay a lot of money to stay there but it’s decent value for money especially if you use the pool,gym,sauna etc