Via M25 to Portsmouth ..or not?

Starting point for next Sundays jaunt is Henlow in Bedfordshire with most maps suggesting to the M1 then onto the M25 to either M3 or A3 etc. However last few Sundays, checking AA Roadwatch for the area, the M25 before Heathrow to the M3 junction has been slow going, most of the day, although on weekdays it seems better. I have a longer alternative to route further west to Oxford and pick up the more familiar A34.

Anyone any idea what this area of the M25 is actually like on Sundays, so I can make an informed decision on the day..many thanks

The M25 on a Sunday can represent a moving traffic Jam, however you won't be hitting it at it's worst time.

TomTom predicts a 9 minute delay at that time. Note that the A3 to Portsmouth is around 10 miles less than the M3, however if the M25 is a pain, it is possible to start on the M3 and switch to the A3 later,

Edited by David Williams
  • Thanks 1

In my experience, which confirms what you have seen on Roadwatch, the M25 starts clogging up from early afternoon on Sundays particularly between the M40 and Junction 11 for Chertsey. It tends to get worse as the afternoon progresses. The M25 is also a lottery when busy, one collision and you can be easily looking at a further delay of an hour or more.

In your position, and assuming that you have got the day free, I would travel down in the morning and spend a bit of time in Portsmouth before your sailing. Once you have got to the M3 on the M25 and traffic is moving you may as well stay on it as the A3 is usually pretty good these days southbound at weekends. (Not so good northbound approaching the M25 on Sunday afternoons though.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone..we have arrived at Portsmouth via the M25 and I have much sympathy for anyone who has to use this awful motorway regularly..it was very busy..we came on from the SB M1 had 2 car park sessions and a lot of 60 then 50 plus huge volume of traffic..

We came off at the M3 and were able to leave but at that point it was a car park again going anti clockwise and no sign of movement..

The M3 was very civilised though

On 23/06/2019 at 16:49, Paully said:

Thanks everyone..we have arrived at Portsmouth via the M25 and I have much sympathy for anyone who has to use this awful motorway regularly..it was very busy..we came on from the SB M1 had 2 car park sessions and a lot of 60 then 50 plus huge volume of traffic..

We came off at the M3 and were able to leave but at that point it was a car park again going anti clockwise and no sign of movement..

The M3 was very civilised though

A note to all though - there are upcoming closures of the M27 at the bottom of the M3 on weekends. Always worth checking before heading that way over the coming weeks.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Jim said:

A note to all though - there are upcoming closures of the M27 at the bottom of the M3 on weekends. Always worth checking before heading that way over the coming weeks.

Thanks Jim. Here is the link to the the Highways Agency project site. 

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/m27-romsey-road-bridge-replacement-scheme/

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

Also worth thinking about is that on weekdays, the A3 around Guildford gets horrendous leading up to, and through, the evening rush hour. There is lots of traffic heading out of Guildford, and out of the University, and the road simply can’t cope with the volume of traffic.