BF charters a new ship

She looks better than the Etretat and Connemara. I know the style is older, but she looks more akin to BDS with that mid accommodation block looking over the stern.

Has anyone travelled on her? From initial impressions - i would imagine perhaps more internal space than Etretat, but less than BDS ??

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

'Kerry' seen in Gilbraltar this morning, she's now bunkering.   Thanks to Francis Ferro for the photo.    

That’s an awful big bowl for the car keys .

A voyage report on the AF Michela - https://www.maxglobetrotter.com/2018/03/trieste-to-durres-adria-ferry-way.html

Posted Images

Looking at that video - definitely an 'Etretat Plus' I would say.

Looks quite pleasant...

Wrap around bow promenade too - that looks pretty cool. 

MSM style. Incidentally - is the bow area on Bretagne still open to the public?

Edited by hf_uk
1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Looks quite pleasant...

Dammit, missed my 2000th post. I was going to say something wonderfully profound and amusing! Oh well. ;-)

5 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Looks quite pleasant...

Just another classic Visentini surely - no more, no less. Vilified by plenty of folk who have never travelled on them, clean, fresh looking and functional, but lacking the pzazz we associate with most members of the BF fleet. Cheap to run, you wind them up, point them in the right direction and they can save up to 30% on fuel costs compared to other ferries; cheap to crew as well, from memory around 40 compared to nearer 140 on say Normandie or close to 190 on Pont-Aven. 

You pays your money and takes your choice....

And you were going to say something wonderfully profound and amusing to celebrate your 2000’th post hf_uk?

How about BF are launching their gamma site tomorrow morning ( well the beta site was a pile of pooh..😉), they are taking over The Torpoint Ferry Company to ensure Cornwall stays in touch with the rest of Europe after Brexit, and as the proud owner of the recent Euromillions ticket winning £170 M you've invested the lot in a new ferry operating a Plymouth-St Malo-Portsmouth-Torpoint twice weekly service.....😂

Good job we know each other ....

Chris

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:
5 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Incidentally - is the bow area on Bretagne still open to the public?

Yes, but only on good weather days. It's the same as Normandie & Mont St Michel', the front viewing deck isn't always open. I'm sure it depends on the Captain at time.

22 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Yes, but only on good weather days. It's the same as Normandie & Mont St Michel', the front viewing deck isn't always open. I'm sure it depends on the Captain at time.

I’ve yet to find the viewing deck on Normandie open this year Tony, even in July ...☹️

MSM not a lot more accessible either

Chris

1 minute ago, Fine Whine said:

I’ve yet to find the viewing deck on Normandie open this year Tony, even in July ...☹️

MSM not a lot more accessible either

Chris

Agreed, unless you know where to look, access to the viewing area on MSM is difficult. I've seen it open a few times this year. Normandie though, that's a different story.

I’ve been on her 3 times in the last 10 days, forward staircase deck 6, complete lockdown throughout each crossing...😳

Which is a shame because the look on passengers sitting in the front reclining seat lounge on deck 7 as you turn to wave at them is priceless...!

Chris

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, BigDW1946 said:

Not sure about this new boat. On the Website for MV Michela there's talk of three dormitories with 128 beds, not something the wife and I want to try.

Us neither, but I`m told there are those who would pay a premium for such opportunities😂

10 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Cheap to run, you wind them up, point them in the right direction and they can save up to 30% on fuel costs compared to other ferries; cheap to crew as well, from memory around 40 compared to nearer 140 on say Normandie or close to 190 on Pont-Aven. 

Well in that case why aren't the crossings 30% cheaper? I've never been able to get a price on Etretat or BDS that offers more than about 10% off the Ouistreham fare and that's then more or less cancelled out by the extra distance and the Pont de Normandie and motorway tolls. Ed. 

1 hour ago, BigDW1946 said:

Not sure about this new boat. On the Website for MV Michela there's talk of three dormitories with 128 beds, not something the wife and I want to try.

That’s an awful big bowl for the car keys .

• Haha 5
14 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well in that case why aren't the crossings 30% cheaper? I've never been able to get a price on Etretat or BDS that offers more than about 10% off the Ouistreham fare and that's then more or less cancelled out by the extra distance and the Pont de Normandie and motorway tolls. Ed. 

Ok Ed, I've just looked online for a trial booking one-way next friday evening ex Portsmouth, car and 1 passenger. £185 to Caen 22h45, £125 to Le Havre 23h30. The following evening on the same route it's £155 to Caen, £79 to le Havre. Even without a calculator that appears to me to be at least 30% cheaper if not more....?

Chris

• Like 1

But then looking nearer to Christmas there are sailings where the price difference isn't as obvious so point taken. My 30% figure is only based on a comment by someone (now retired) who worked at Irish Ferries and signed off the fuel bill each month. Roughly 1 million euros per month for the larger cruise ferries, 700k euros for Epsilon with a similar workload.

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Chris. Obviously there can be savings and next Friday ex-UK is one of those opportunities. Clearly it's not the first weekend of UK half-term. In France it is and so if I do what you did via the French site for next Friday it's 177€ via Can and 145€ via Le Havre. The reductions are not consistent which they perhaps should be if the running costs remain the same. Ed. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

If Ryanair ran a ferry business this ship would be perfect for them .

• Haha 1