Cabin-boy

BF charters a new ship

Just now, Gareth said:

(And clearly we are seeing the end of Economie as a separately branded livery).

I had a feeling that was going to happen, I couldn't see BF repainting 'Normandie' again next year.

3 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I had a feeling that was going to happen, I couldn't see BF repainting 'Normandie' again next year.

Me too.

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Normandie was showing as a Cruise Ferry in the original Le Havre timetable for this year, I imagine that it will again when we get the new timetable out in a couple of days.

I hate to say it but the new logo is growing on me and has a warmer, more modern feel to it - never thought I'd say that!

I note the Limassol registration so assume the crew won't be French - I hope BF have consulted with the French Unions on this....O.o

Chris

What Économie livery, are we alluding to the wavy line? That's just BF doing the barest minimum in order the get their name and logo on the side and on the funnel... A quick splash of blue and BDS is back in DFDS livery and Etretat just looks like Norman Voyager without the red stripe... cost effective, nothing more.

Connemara has always been all over white, is marketed as Économie now and still is well into 2020 on her her temporary cover routes to Le Havre and Spain. Same for Kerry so for them it's been a simple name change.

Normandy will never be marketed as an Économie ship, she doesn't have the limited onboard passenger facilities the Visentini's do plus if you compare her to the "luxury" offerings on board the current twins which sail to Ijmuiden and Zeebrugge, she never will be.

If anything 2020 may actually see an established Économie livery if the website is anything to go by:

Thumbnail

...And if we consider what ships will be available for charter to prospective competitors - namely Visentini's - , BF maybe doing themselves a favour keeping the "budget" alternative around for a while longer.

3 minutes ago, jonno said:

What Économie livery, are we alluding to the wavy line?

Yes, essentially.  I think Kerry must be the first Economie ship to be painted in full BF livery? (Can’t remember what Connemara looks like, but it can’t be the same as Kerry otherwise Kerry’s appearance wouldn’t have come across so strikingly to me).

I think this corroborates my suspicion that the reason they did not give BDS the new branding last year was because BF had not bothered to generate an Economie version of it.  No point - once the e-flexers are here, and the Vissentinis have gone, there will be no purpose to it.

24 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Yes, essentially.  I think Kerry must be the first Economie ship to be painted in full BF livery? (Can’t remember what Connemara looks like, but it can’t be the same as Kerry otherwise Kerry’s appearance wouldn’t have come across so strikingly to me).

She's painted in the new livery for sure but her blue waterline has always been there. Connemara is solid white all over with a red waterline, again always there. The difference is that she still bears the old logo and font.

I agree that under the current offer on the western channel, the end of 2020 could well be when the Economie brand goes from the BF UK routes to France and Spain when Galicia arrives ( I think CF will take over PIP, Le Havre,Spain) but I think as long as Pont Aven sails to Cork from Roscoff in tandem with Connemara it'll remain there for a while longer especially as BF are now giving the latter French registry and crew... She's to be in service far longer than Kerry.

2 hours ago, Stena Invicta said:

Will the Connemara get a repaint before she starts on the channel ?

I'm guessing 'Connemara' will get the same livery as 'Kerry' has while she's dry docking in Santander for the 2 weeks. I'm sure 'Etretat' will get the same in February. Whether 'Connemara' and 'Etretat' get 'Economie' painted on remains to be seen.

On 13/10/2019 at 14:52, Gareth said:

I think this corroborates my suspicion that the reason they did not give BDS the new branding last year was because BF had not bothered to generate an Economie version of it.  No point - once the e-flexers are here, and the Vissentinis have gone, there will be no purpose to it.

It's more a painted out Adria Ferries livery with the Brittany Ferries logo added than a full livery.  Same as was done with Connemara which still has red at her waterline.  For a short charter its not worth doing any more since it will be Brittany Ferries (and not Stena RoRo) paying for a full repaint.

With regard to the "Economie livery".  Will there ever be such a thing and would it be worth the expense?  Etretat looks like she is in LD Lines livery with the red band removed and a Brittany Ferries logo slapped on.  BDS looks like she's had some of her DFDS blue hull painted over to look a bit like Etretat (the swooshy wave thing isn't even in the same place).  As above, Connemara and Kerry retain their previous colours with a Brittany Ferries logo added!  All are chartered and likely on borrowed time

As for the E-Flexers, while they may be an upgrade on your regular Visentini they are unlikely to be the height of luxury either.  They are still very much a Ro-Pax design and no matter how much interior design you do there's only so much can be done within the existing constraints.  If BF had wanted "cruise ferries" (I hate that term) then they'd have ordered them.  One of the alternatives considered was apparently an order with Visentini after all (mind you Balearia's latests look very nice)!  Still, it may be unfair to brand the E-Flexer's as economie, especially given how the whole Northern European ferry market seems to be moving in the same direction.

Edited by tarbyonline

12 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

With regard to the "Economie livery".  Will there ever be such a thing and would it be worth the expense?

As you rightly point out - everything we've seen so far is an adaption of a previous incarnation. As I understand it, there were objections from French seafarers over the suggestion of painting the word 'economie' as part of a livery as it was deemed to mark things out as 'lesser'. Perhaps just an anecdotal tail, but perhaps believable from our continental cousins! Note that with the Kerry we haven't seen the addition of any blue stripe in the 'new style' either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

As for the E-Flexers, while they may be an upgrade on your regular Visentini they are unlikely to be the height of luxury either.  They are still very much a Ro-Pax design and no matter how much interior design you do there's only so much can be done within the existing constraints.

Steve I think you'll be surprised what the BF E-Flexers look like internally. They certainly won't be as utilitarian as any Stena vessel which they deem luxury, I'm including the Kiel ships too. MSM is a prime example of what BF do to twin loading RoPax. They are notorious for not relying solely on maritime internal designers, she'll have luxury cabins, A la Carte, café's and boutiques similar to Pont Aven.

I have a feeling that if BF were left to their own devices with a Visentini it would look pretty stylish too.

BF use them now as a means to an end, nothing more. If lesser appointed ships was their new focus Bretagne would have been replaced by now and there would be no motivation to relocate Normandie to lose the Économie tag at Le Havré.

Edited by jonno

To a greater or lesser extent, all ships in the BF fleet (with the exception of Bretagne and Pont Aven) can be considered ropaxes.  Some of them, like MSM, carry off that role very effectively and with a luxury that makes them feel like a cruise ferry.  I’m sure the e-flexers will be the same.