BF charters a new ship

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

'Kerry' seen in Gilbraltar this morning, she's now bunkering.   Thanks to Francis Ferro for the photo.    

That’s an awful big bowl for the car keys .

A voyage report on the AF Michela - https://www.maxglobetrotter.com/2018/03/trieste-to-durres-adria-ferry-way.html

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jim said:

... I always thought they were significantly larger... so much so they needed their own funnel ;)

They look like the "off the shelf" ones which went into the BDS - which were utterly useless.

BF build big bespoke over-engineered and overly expensive ones, but at least they work!

1 hour ago, Jim said:

... I always thought they were significantly larger... so much so they needed their own funnel ;)

Memories of seeing pictures of monstrosities before the BF fleet got theirs fitted.  Only the Pont I think has come off badly from her post scrubber look.

Edited by Khaines

Does anyone know, is there a difference in the styles of scrubber? I know there’s closed and open loop systems which work differently. I’m not sure which the big ones are (MSM, PA, Arm) and the smaller ones (BDS, CF, Kerry) - but I know engine size has something to do with it hence why PA and MSM have huge ones. Perhaps someone else knows please?

44 minutes ago, wortley said:

Is there any news of the dormitories please? Is that being retained for crew accommodation, or for passengers, and if so how will it be priced ?

She's a modern, Stena-owned ship built in 2001 with a mostly still intact standard Visentini fitout; which means the overnight accomodation comprises 4 berth cabins (there may be a couple of 2 berths but very few) and some reclining seats.

On 17/10/2019 at 12:50, Jim said:

That one looks like 12 x 4 metres and every main engine needs one including the fuel driven alternators. As an example, a ship such as Armorique would need five of them... considering the size of the bad boy pictured above, that's a lot of space needed.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

She's a modern, Stena-owned ship built in 2001 with a mostly still intact standard Visentini fitout; which means the overnight accomodation comprises 4 berth cabins (there may be a couple of 2 berths but very few) and some reclining seats.

But look ! It says three dormitories.

IMG_0847.PNG

Edited by wortley
29 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

It really doesn’t matter if she has dormitories or not BF would never sell them to the general public , truckers on the other hand ,,,

Why not, they do on planes and they are called first class. As long as they are priced somewhere between a reclining chair and a berth in a proper cabin that would seem to be a sensible option.

1 minute ago, David Williams said:

Why not, they do on planes and they are called first class. As long as they are priced somewhere between a reclining chair and a berth in a proper cabin that would seem to be a sensible option.

Ask BF ? Seriously though they won’t go from every cabin being en-suite to dorms of 40 odd folk no other ferry operator that sails from the UK does (as far as I know) and I can’t see BF bucking the trend.

Just now, neilcvx said:

Ask BF ? Seriously though they won’t go from every cabin being en-suite to dorms of 40 odd folk no other ferry operator that sails from the UK does (as far as I know) and I can’t see BF bucking the trend.

You are probably right, however what is the real difference between that and reclining seats. One can sleep in clothes just like reclining seats in a ship or lie flat beds in planes - BF could always sell sleep suits that you change into in the loos (like planes).

10 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Next step would be sleeping on deck.

Anyone ever tried sleeping out on deck?  Outdoor sleeping areas for use in summer months could be quite a gimmick.  Of course, a secure area needs to fenced in properly.  We have a cafe near us that has a large double bed outside (outdoor furniture plastic type of thing) with loads of cushions that people can sit on (will try and get a pic).  I reckon it would be fun if, so long as safety was taken into concern and this was in an enclosed area then it would be quite a hoot.

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

Anyone ever tried sleeping out on deck?  Outdoor sleeping areas for use in summer months could be quite a gimmick.  Of course, a secure area needs to fenced in properly.  We have a cafe near us that has a large double bed outside (outdoor furniture plastic type of thing) with loads of cushions that people can sit on (will try and get a pic).  I reckon it would be fun if, so long as safety was taken into concern and this was in an enclosed area then it would be quite a hoot.

Bed I was talking about.  One thing, it is wood, thought I remembered it to be plastic.  Get a couple of these on the outdoor decks.

C5F4FE5A-6D02-40FE-B9FD-FFCF175B8B8E.jpeg

C466E6B7-F2CC-4A74-A64F-99DA4C181DF6.jpeg