Cabin-boy

BF charters a new ship

We've stayed in the motorhome on board from Bari to Patras with use of the ship's showers and electric hook up.

• Like 1

About 20 years ago I took my sleeping bag from the cramped reclining seat lounge and slept on a sun lounger on the upper rear deck of Normandie. Lovely weather, was very pleasant. 

On 16/10/2019 at 16:48, jonno said:

Steve I think you'll be surprised what the BF E-Flexers look like internally. They certainly won't be as utilitarian as any Stena vessel which they deem luxury, I'm including the Kiel ships too. MSM is a prime example of what BF do to twin loading RoPax. They are notorious for not relying solely on maritime internal designers, she'll have luxury cabins, A la Carte, café's and boutiques similar to Pont Aven.

I have a feeling that if BF were left to their own devices with a Visentini it would look pretty stylish too.

BF use them now as a means to an end, nothing more. If lesser appointed ships was their new focus Bretagne would have been replaced by now and there would be no motivation to relocate Normandie to lose the Économie tag at Le Havré.

We shall see.  I suspect that Brittany Ferries and DFDS will both play things less "safe" than Stena so far as ID is concerned, but there's only so much can be done within a given amount of space at the end of the day.  Certainly the Stena pictures so far haven't looked very revolutionary.  One of the most interesting aspects of this series will be seeing the differences (and similarities) of course.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2019 at 01:42, tarbyonline said:

As for the E-Flexers, while they may be an upgrade on your regular Visentini they are unlikely to be the height of luxury either.  They are still very much a Ro-Pax design and no matter how much interior design you do there's only so much can be done within the existing constraints.  

Out of interest, what do you see those constraints as being? I get that more space is given over to freight but within the space remaining, so long as the passenger to space ratio is right, would there be any other constraints?

• Like 1

On 16/10/2019 at 18:26, neilcvx said:

Stena Estrid looks particularly dull the BF ships wouldn’t have to try hard to be better.

I think she looks great from the photos that I have seen

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VikingVoyager said:

She does the job I suppose but remarkably similar to the Superfasts.

2 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

Yes, Stena seem to have gone for a warmer look.

I'm really interested to see what BF do with their three as they've threatened strong Spanish themes & artwork. A couple of Miró reproduction prints gracing the walls would be nice. BF could sell them onboard too rather than having to nip to the Guggenheim for them. Never understood why they don't sell Goudie prints on Bretagne.

• Like 1

Someone must have painted a picture of the Battle of Salamanca.   That would be fitting and go down well with the crew ! 😜

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, David Williams said:

BF have cancelled the sailing from Cork to Santander tomorrow evening, I wonder if the authorities are insisting on an inspection like they did on the first visit of the Connemara

Nothing on the updates yet.

From the schedules there was no sailing from Cork to Santander tonight either way and Port of Cork only had her listed as departing on Monday next 04 Nov - so I would assume that her PSC inspections will take place tomorrow.

4 hours ago, ferrymancork said:

From the schedules there was no sailing from Cork to Santander tonight either way and Port of Cork only had her listed as departing on Monday next 04 Nov - so I would assume that her PSC inspections will take place tomorrow.

The timetable said different on Wednesday, there was a sailing for Cork to Santander listed.

On 20/10/2019 at 09:39, Khaines said:

Bed I was talking about.  One thing, it is wood, thought I remembered it to be plastic.  Get a couple of these on the outdoor decks.

C5F4FE5A-6D02-40FE-B9FD-FFCF175B8B8E.jpeg

C466E6B7-F2CC-4A74-A64F-99DA4C181DF6.jpeg

There are some well cool squirrels around there. Eat out of your hand :)

• Like 1

Photos of 'Kerry' approaching the Passenger Terminal from Raos 1 on Thursday afternoon preparing to enter service from Santander to Cork.

Photos by Jose Luis Diaz Campa

K1.JPG

K2.JPG

K9.JPG

K10.JPG

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 3

Out of the 2, which is a nicer ship to travel on? Has anyone been on both vessels? 

I imagine that Kerry, despite being older is more comfortable and has larger inside passenger space? 

The newer Visentini's seem to be more dedicated to Freight...

12 hours ago, David Williams said:

I could be wrong about the reason, it could just be the weather, however they did forget about Inspections last time !

Sources are:-

image.png.1b45dee34f0c81c0b773265c8a8fbcab.png

'Paper' timetable  https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/media/pdf/q/m/Timetable_Spain___Ireland_November_2019.pdf shows a sailing tonight.

image.png.5f2e2a44f944f03368c88eb426cc9ab4.png

Yes it's weather, Fastnet, Plymouth & Biscay all have warnings between force 8 - 10. Portland isn't looking too healthy either.

Edited by jonno

'Kerry' arriving in Cork on Friday evening.
'Kerry' has docked alongside Marino Point where she is due to stay until Monday morning.

Capture.JPG

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 2

On 01/11/2019 at 10:15, hf_uk said:

On 01/11/2019 at 10:15, hf_uk said:

Yes they do, they will clamber all over you as well.  And they ain’t unknown to pinch out of shopping bags either if something takes their fancy, lol!  Only just seen the notification for this post!  Edit - the quotes are playing silly beggars...

Edited by Khaines

46 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Kerry' arriving in Cork this evening, photos (x2) thanks to Glen Grace.

There is some damage to the paint on the bow.

What did they use Dulux emulsion? 

• Haha 2