Lofty

Le Flora Restaurant Pont Aven

Last Sunday I once again took pleasure of sailing from Plymouth to Santander on one of my favourite vessels the Pont Aven.

I was lucky enough to have been able to select when boarded  if and when I wanted to dine in Le Flora restaurant without having to pre book and stand for ages queuing.

However, like this trip and many times before it appears that not  everybody knows about pre  booking to dine and you end up in this massive que behind a load of people who have not only waisted their time along with the pre booked customers as they are sent away having not booked a table.

It would make sense if there was a sign put somewhere so passengers are aware that it was bookings only on appropriate sailings

I do realise that on late sailings it is a free for all.

Apart from that it was great to see her back in commission - and what happened to the triangular rolls?!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lofty said:

and what happened to the triangular rolls?!!

Now there’s a question!  Maybe a topic for another thread! 🤣

• Haha 6

16 hours ago, Lofty said:

Last Sunday I once again took pleasure of sailing from Plymouth to Santander on one of my favourite vessels the Pont Aven.

I was lucky enough to have been able to select when boarded  if and when I wanted to dine in Le Flora restaurant without having to pre book and stand for ages queuing.

However, like this trip and many times before it appears that not  everybody knows about pre  booking to dine and you end up in this massive que behind a load of people who have not only waisted their time along with the pre booked customers as they are sent away having not booked a table.

It would make sense if there was a sign put somewhere so passengers are aware that it was bookings only on appropriate sailings

I do realise that on late sailings it is a free for all.

Apart from that it was great to see her back in commission - and what happened to the triangular rolls?!!

...and another one said, "roll over" !!!

• Haha 2

I also referred to this in the thread "Club Voyage Members" as it is ridiculous that you have to queue even if you are booked in. 

• Like 1

Irish Ferries have come up with a cunning plan this year on the WB Yeats to avoid this sort of problem, a 3 course meal in the Bernavel A la Carte restaurant on the Oscar Wilde was €37.95 last year and very well done, now it's up to €60 in the Lady Gregory with "amuses bouches" to justify the ridiculous pricing. Hey presto, no more queues.....O.o

Chris

• Haha 2

Just going back to Lofty’s original post re the ability to make restaurant reservations.

I think ........ and I emphasise think, that you can’t make make restaurant bookings in advance.  If however, you’re in a ‘premium’ cabin, they do allow the steward /esse to make a table booking for you.  Imagine somebody paying for a premium cabin and then ranting because he / she / they couldn’t get a table in the restaurant.

Most of the time, this isn’t a problem, but getting towards high season ............

Edited by Gardian
typo

10 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Just going back to Lofty’s original post re the ability to make restaurant reservations.

I think ........ and I emphasise think, that you can’t make make restaurant bookings in advance.  If however, you’re in a ‘premium’ cabin, they do allow the steward /esse to make a table booking for you.  Imagine somebody paying for a premium cabin and then ranting because he / she / they couldn’t get a table in the restaurant.

Most of the time, this isn’t a problem, but getting towards high season ............

You can make restaurant bookings in advance for Spanish crossings - even without a "premium" cabin. BF have invited me to book a table on next Sunday's crossing to Santander.

I was on a recent crossing from Portsmouth to Saint-Malo on the Bretagne, and had a commodore cabin. I asked the cabin steward to book a table in Les Abers. It was a reasonably busy crossing, and there was a sizeable queue. I went straight to the desk and said I had a reservation, and was shown to a table straight away,  but the comments and looks I got from those waiting in line made it very uncomfortable. EID who was with me has told me we will never be doing that again, and will queue up regardless, so makes the reservation process a bit pointless if you have to still queue up.

B t B ........

IMO, your other half’s reticence about (effectively) jumping the queue was laudable, but you were perfectly in order.

You’d paid a premium price for your cabin and that was one of the advantages.

Anyway ....... life is too short to worry too much about the occasional ‘upside’.  They come too infrequently.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BobtheBunker said:

I was on a recent crossing from Portsmouth to Saint-Malo on the Bretagne, and had a commodore cabin. I asked the cabin steward to book a table in Les Abers. It was a reasonably busy crossing, and there was a sizeable queue. I went straight to the desk and said I had a reservation, and was shown to a table straight away,  but the comments and looks I got from those waiting in line made it very uncomfortable. EID who was with me has told me we will never be doing that again, and will queue up regardless, so makes the reservation process a bit pointless if you have to still queue up.

I have always pre-booked the early sitting which often coincides with the tail end of loading. This means that the early boarders are already queuing to book and if we are later we just have time to drop our cases in the cabin and make our way down to La Flora. Your booking expires if you are delayed so definitely do not join the queue but politely make your way to the front and make yourself known and you will be seated by one of the staff. We have pre-booked for several years now, at first I thought it was restricted to Club Voyage and Commodore bookings but I am not sure that is still the case.

• Thanks 1

This is the response I have just received just now to my email requesting a booking on the 15th July :-

I have booked a table for you on the Pont-Aven at 1830 (UK time) on 15th July 2019. If you have any queries regarding your restaurant booking whilst on board, please go to the Information desk on deck 6. The table will be reserved for you until 1845, after which time it will be released.

Tables are allocated onboard and we cannot take advance booking requests for specific tables.

If you amend your travel dates online, your restaurant booking will not longer be valid and you will need to contact us to rearrange (subject to availability). 

We hope you enjoy your crossing and Bon Appétit!”

It is worth noting they give you 15mins to take your table then it is reallocated. On that basis you cannot afford to be stuck behind a long queue.

• Like 2

You can reserve a table in Le Flora on Pont Aven's Cork to Roscoff. Whilst there are early boardings for this trip bookings don't open until she's about to sail.

We are on the Pont on 5th September on the 20.45 sailing Plymouth - Roscoff. OK, I know its a couple of months away but can we reserve a table in the Flora? We have a Commodore cabin booked and we would love to dine in the Flora without having to queue for ages.

4 minutes ago, KenTownley said:

We are on the Pont on 5th September on the 20.45 sailing Plymouth - Roscoff. OK, I know its a couple of months away but can we reserve a table in the Flora? We have a Commodore cabin booked and we would love to dine in the Flora without having to queue for ages.

4 berth Commodore cabin

4 berth Commodore on board Pont-Aven

These spacious ensuite and air conditioned cabins with window include:

• Twin beds plus sofabed & recess bed
  • TV & DVD player
  • Tea and coffee making facilities
  • Mini bar (soft drinks only)
  • Balcony
  • Hair dryer
  • Access to Commodore lounge with free Wi-Fi access
  • Priority restaurant booking
  • Newspaper
  • Continental breakfast or afternoon tea served in your cabin (dependent on sailing time)
  • Presentation box of toiletries
  • Box of macaroons and basket of fresh fruits
  • Complimentary Nespresso coffee machine in the Commodore Lounge
  • Fresh linen and towels provided
  • Continental plug socket

There we go Ken, taken from the BF website...;)

Chris

On 21/06/2019 at 22:06, Gardian said:

I was in a premium cabin, but the problem is that a lot of the passengers don’t realise you have to book, and join the Q when the restaurant opens to go and dine, only to be turned away after a needless wait and holding booked in passengers up.

on early scheduled sailing they start taking bookings for supper around 4.30 in the afternoon, but it is not made clear to everybody, it’s usually an announcement over the tannoy and it appears that not everybody hears it or cannot understand what being said.

Anyway I don’t think it is an easy fix, as it has been like it for as long as I can remember.

Won’t stop me going though I love it!! happy Days!!

On our Thursday evening midsummer sailings from Plymouth to Roscoff we are usually on board at 1930 before our windowless economy cabin is ready - and a personal steward is not readily available in that part of the ship for the likes of us. So we go straight off to La Flora under our own steam, unbooked and unannounced, and are ushered straight in.

As the crowd begins to gather and the restaurant fills up they start to lay more tables outside and tell the pianist to go away, so he shuts the keyboard lid and leaves. It's only the posh crowd , who have felt it necessary to dress for dinner,  who arrive late and find a queue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1