Jump to content

Brittany Ferries Buys Condor Ferries


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jonno - I think you have a short memory.  Condor Express and Condor Vitesse both ran two round trips per day. Express ran from Weymouth to CI to Poole to CI to Weymouth, leaving Weymouth at 0730

Slightly economical with the truth there, Mr Luxon.  Of course she has no problems maintaining the schedule she has now ended up with, because Condor has reduced its demands on Liberation to one rotat

Posted Images

10 hours ago, hhvferry said:

She's by some distance the worst of those four near sisters, a real bargain basement mess of a ship - and getting on a bit now as well. 

If you were sailing to the Isle of Man, would you choose the Mannanan (assuming it is running) instead? Is it a case of the lesser of two evils?! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

If you were sailing to the Isle of Man, would you choose the Mannanan (assuming it is running) instead? Is it a case of the lesser of two evils?! 

The discussion is about the merits or otherwise of Condor acquiring BMC to run alongside Clipper.  But as far as IoMSP is concerned, I would say she is the least enjoyable ship that I have sailed to the island aboard.  I agree that the choice between the current pair is a non-choice, but the eras of the Manx Maid pair, Monas Queen pair, and even the second hand Tynwald and King Orry were far superior to what the Steam Packet offers today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gareth said:

the eras of the Manx Maid pair, Monas Queen pair, and even the second hand Tynwald and King Orry were far superior to what the Steam Packet offers today.

I agree and I'm looking forward to see what IOMSP come up with to replace Ben My Chree. I think two new build conventional ferries is being discussed.

4 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

If you were sailing to the Isle of Man, would you choose the Mannanan (assuming it is running) instead? Is it a case of the lesser of two evils?! 

Mannanan is versatile and has been configured specifically for the I.O.M route having an added deck to carry more motorcycle passengers for the TT. She's also aged better as the U.S Navy used her quite sparingly. She's proved a popular and reliable vessel over her 11 years of service.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jonno said:

I agree and I'm looking forward to see what IOMSP come up with to replace Ben My Chree. I think two new build conventional ferries is being discussed.

Mannanan is versatile and has been configured specifically for the I.O.M route having an added deck to carry more motorcycle passengers for the TT. She's also aged better as the U.S Navy used her quite sparingly. She's proved a popular and reliable vessel over her 11 years of service.

And the quality of her conversion and fit out in UK makes the work done on the Liberation look a bit shabby....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/03/2020 at 22:28, hhvferry said:

She's by some distance the worst of those four near sisters, a real bargain basement mess of a ship - and getting on a bit now as well. 

What was the fourth one?  I obviously know about The Clipper, BMC and Canterbury operating with the NZ Navy but what's the other one?  Ed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

What was the fourth one?  I obviously know about The Clipper, BMC and Canterbury operating with the NZ Navy but what's the other one?  Ed. 

I meant the four ferries based on that version of the VDG hull design - Ben, Clipper, the current Stena Vinga and the current Straitsman.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

What was the fourth one?  I obviously know about The Clipper, BMC and Canterbury operating with the NZ Navy but what's the other one?  Ed. 

Stena Jutlandica?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Andy changed the title to Brittany Ferries Buys Condor Ferries
  • 3 months later...
On 13/03/2020 at 06:34, The Ferry Man said:

Other than the BMC and Clipper you have the

Straitsman https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Straitsman_(2005)

And

Stena Vinga

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stena_Vinga

Formerly the Hammerodde and Deuodde

https://www.ship-technology.com/projects/hammerodde/

 

And the NMNZS Canterbury, mentioned by Cabin Boy

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMNZS_Canterbury_(L421)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...