Jump to content
TonyMWeaver

Brittany Ferries Wants To Buy Condor Ferries

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Interesting you say about Poole being a short sea alternative.... just how near it is. Poole - Cherbourg is 83.5 miles. If Pont Aven were to whip over at her (original) top service speed, she could it in a shade under 3 hours!

Depends if Pont can make it half - way without conking out.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Khaines said:

I would say it is a Nova Star centred one.  She actually has her own thread in Other Ferry Operations, so possibly posts and talk of her could be shifted there and merged into that..😉

 

I believe the first Barfleur reference in this thread was yours in the 10th post. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, hhvferry said:

However if they consider that BF are trying to deter new entrants into the entire western channel market they may take more interest - although that would be a much more difficult case to assess and judge. 

If they get their hands on the leaked internal memo to BF staff outlining the company's intentions then the aim of deterring any competition is pretty clear, and potentially damming. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Paully said:

I know I've just got out of the pool...smug smug😂😂

I am in an office and it's 25, but everyone is moaning that it's cold.

I wonder if they will hire one of these for lunch hour!?

image.png.21441f65e08f460f71d1cd6b90135366.png

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Yes

Yes, and over the years she hasn't been flogged as much as Bretagne. Can probably hold out a little longer...

Is that right though?

Barfleur spent time on DO CAL for another operator - hardly a relaxing break. Meanwhile Bretagne has been pootling around under the careful administrations of BF with a nice rest over the winter months in recent years.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jonno said:

Why wouldn't BF build a new ferry to serve Cherbourg when the time comes? The port handles more passengers than St Malo, Roscoff or Le Havre with 70% of those heading from Poole and four times as much freight as Roscoff, twice as much as St Malo 99% of which again heads to or from Poole.

Poole seems to be ignored simply because Barfy just quietly gets on with it as she's so suited to the route. Strategically it's very important for BF. She's a very versatile ship, It's only her lack of berths which means she's not exploited more. I think there's only 3 ports she's never sailed to, Le Havre, St Malo & Bilbao.

 

 

As always, those are very interesting stats. Thanks! Do we know how they relate to the relative profitability of the routes / ships?

It almost seems to me that there will be more pressure to ensure that Barfleur is replaced than Bretagne. If there's an opportunity to improve freight numbers further and add a more flexible ship to the fleet on an already profitable route then you might think that the opportunity would be taken. 

Meanwhile, many people seem very happy with Bretagne as she is. She seems to keep St Malo ticking over on a route with high prices. Could a new ship increase passenger numbers significantly or justify a hike in fares?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

Is that right though?

Barfleur spent time on DO CAL for another operator - hardly a relaxing break. Meanwhile Bretagne has been pootling around under the careful administrations of BF with a nice rest over the winter months in recent years.

I believe so. Even including Barfys' Truckline days... Bretagne has spent more time at sea. Not just on longer crossings (St Malo and Roscoff) but also don't forget was the Spanish headliner for all those years too. I would say she has endured considerably more wear and tear...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the wear and tear occurs during berthing operations when the engines are changing speed and the ship is moving backwards and forwards. Chugging along at economical speed puts less stress on the machinery. It's a bit like car engines wearing out faster if they are just used for short trips rather than long runs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Biscay and Western channel operations over that many years would surely have an effect too? Barfy hardly gets a battering weather-wise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who does Roscoff regularly knows that those big rollers coming in from the Atlantic when they hit the channel, pack a punch. 

Barfy doesn't know she's born:)

 

Anyway - on a totally separate topic, and much more 'on-topic' here... I saw on the news that the Gov has a plan for a new "express sea service" if no-deal brexit happens again in October. For medicines etc. £3m allocated, and totally separate tot he other deals/re-deals/cancellations etc from the previous contracts.

I wonder if this would include Condor, and if that is a factor in recent interest? 

I cannot think of another "express" sea service which runs year round??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So. Bf buy Condor. Integrate the ro-ro into their Portsmouth operations, and start up "British Express Medicals" with Libby. Perfect:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

So. Bf buy Condor. Integrate the ro-ro into their Portsmouth operations, and start up "British Express Medicals" with Libby. Perfect:)

Or they could do what the article says and hire a "logistics company" such as DHL or UPS to fly in whatever is needed urgently to where it is actually needed. I know this is a ferry site but the world doesn't revolve around ferries to the exclusion of everything else🤔

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, G4rth said:

Or they could do what the article says and hire a "logistics company" such as DHL or UPS to fly in whatever is needed urgently to where it is actually needed. I know this is a ferry site but the world doesn't revolve around ferries to the exclusion of everything else🤔

 

You'd better not set foot in Plymouth with views like that G4rth. They'll have you charged with heresy. Ed.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of interest, Libby takes freight, are there other HSCs that also take it, I don’t think the previous cats took it, or did they?  Was freight in their day carried on Goodwill and Clipper?  Lib is a big enough HSC to handle freight, but just wondered if there are any others that carry it too.  Don’t think NEX does, does she?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, G4rth said:

Or they could do what the article says and hire a "logistics company" such as DHL or UPS to fly in whatever is needed urgently to where it is actually needed. I know this is a ferry site but the world doesn't revolve around ferries to the exclusion of everything else🤔

 

As they do with 90% of medicines anyway. Air couriers have invested millions in specialised medicinal transportation. On the flipside of this the EMA are really worried as the near on 700 medicines solely made in the U.K. are still not licensed to be made in the EU. They are worried about the 42 million medicinal and veterinarian packs which the U.K send to mainland Europe every month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, G4rth said:

Or they could do what the article says and hire a "logistics company" such as DHL or UPS to fly in whatever is needed urgently to where it is actually needed. I know this is a ferry site but the world doesn't revolve around ferries to the exclusion of everything else🤔

 

£3 million ain't gonna go far if they setup something like you suggest!?

Edited by hf_uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Out of interest, Libby takes freight, are there other HSCs that also take it, I don’t think the previous cats took it, or did they?  Was freight in their day carried on Goodwill and Clipper?  Lib is a big enough HSC to handle freight, but just wondered if there are any others that carry it too.  Don’t think NEX does, does she?

NEX does but it's very little, around 600 units during the seasons she covers. Looking at her specs she can carry 7 HGV's at any one time.

057-bayferries-ga.pdf

 Rapide looks like just 4 max... "Vehicle Capacity - 200 cars at 4.5m length x 2.3m wide or combination of cars and up to 4 buses."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

£3 million ain't gonna go far if they setup something like you suggest!?

I'm not saying ferries don't play an important roll in any general planning. Perhaps money might be better spent employing companies that already efficiently carry out the function of carrying medical supplies and can quickly reach all parts of the UK rather than trying to start new supply lines as some have been advocating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 trucks can carry a lot of pills. This announcement was about medicines specifically, not general freight...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

7 trucks can carry a lot of pills. This announcement was about medicines specifically, not general freight...

Before we all start flapping our wings, does anyone know how many EU pharmaceutical companies there are which actually sells drugs to the U.K. Drugs which aren't time sensitive? Does anyone know how many of these are made under licences from U.K. manufacturers as it seems to me that nearly 35% of the EU's drug manufacture and distribution will halt if there's a no deal exit. There's a reason why we send 42 million medicinal packages to mainland Europe every month and don't even receive a tenth of what they produce. None of our imports from the EEA countries will be effected nor will those from Israel or India.

The only medicine we rely on is radioisotopes from France, Belgium and Holland and since 2015 that's all flown in to Coventry airport as the U.K cannot rely on the French ports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jonno said:

Before we all start flapping our wings, does anyone know how many EU pharmaceutical companies there are which actually sells drugs to the U.K. Drugs which aren't time sensitive? Does anyone know how many of these are made under licences from U.K. manufacturers as it seems to me that nearly 35% of the EU's drug manufacture and distribution will halt if there's a no deal exit. There's a reason why we send 42 million medicinal packages to mainland Europe every month and don't even receive a tenth of what they produce. None of our imports from the EEA countries will be effected nor will those from Israel or India.

The only medicine we rely on is radioisotopes from France, Belgium and Holland and since 2015 that's all flown in to Coventry airport as the U.K cannot rely on the French ports.

This link should be of assistance.  Quite long and wordy but may help.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmbeis/382/382.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few hundred trips on NEx, many at quiet times, and whilst I have seen coaches on board often, I have never ever seen an HGV. I cannot say that they don't, but I would have expected to have seen one at least once . . .

 

Edited by rogerpatenall
tidy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rogerpatenall said:

A few hundred trips on NEx, many at quiet times, and whilst I have seen coaches on board often, I have never ever seen an HGV. I cannot say that they don't, but I would have expected to have seen one at least once . . .

 

BF’s page on freight on NEX.

https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/specialised-traffic/fast-craft-service

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...