TonyMWeaver

Brittany Ferries Wants To Buy Condor Ferries

I understand that BF have submitted an offer, which presumably means they found suitable partners. However they state that they are not the only bidder.

Condor should bite BF’s hand off.  Even if the offer isn’t the most competitive, no other bidder will have the ready-made local reputation to be able to turn customer confidence in Channel Island services around in short order.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Condor should bite BF’s hand off.  Even if the offer isn’t the most competitive, no other bidder will have the ready-made local reputation to be able to turn customer confidence in Channel Island services around in short order.

Would the owners of condor give a damn about that? They would just want the most money, the only restriction could be if the states don't give a licence to any new owner.

7 minutes ago, Solo said:

Would the owners of condor give a damn about that? They would just want the most money, the only restriction could be if the states don't give a licence to any new owner.

Fair point.  I guess it depends whether they will be retaining any interest in the future prosperity of the company.  If they do then they will.

Unfortunate choice of picture!  Now wait for the rumours to start that Bretagne is moving to the Channel Islands route! 🤣

• Haha 2

Quite simple, as no one else did. I first spotted this on Twitter and posted it on Ferry News (hence the 1st line), before I saw it on BFE. I was about to post it here until I saw it was already done. The picture doesn't really matter, as it's a Brittany Ferries picture, it's still relevant.

46 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

The picture doesn't really matter, as it's a Brittany Ferries picture, it's still relevant.

Maybe a triangular bread roll would equally suffice! 🤣

• Haha 1

I just had a thought on the BF bid for Condor. Perhaps the investment company which owns Condor was planning this for many years? They probably thought their best exit route was to sell to a trade buyer – i.e. another ferry company. And the most likely buyer would be the nearest - Brittany Ferries. But wouldn’t that involve an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority if two competing companies wanted to merge? So to avoid the most likely buyer being debarred, HQ at Macquarie probably gave orders not to compete with BF. So Condor’s direct Poole – St Malo route finished, then the interline Poole-Cherbourg finished, and a couple of years ago the Summer Sundays Portsmouth- Cherbourg sailings ended. Today it is very unattractive to use Condor to travel via CI to France. Result? No competition between the two companies, so no cause for the CMA to get involved and possibly block a takeover. And lots of possible efficiency gains. Am I being cynical?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Altranter said:

I just had a thought on the BF bid for Condor. Perhaps the investment company which owns Condor was planning this for many years? They probably thought their best exit route was to sell to a trade buyer – i.e. another ferry company. And the most likely buyer would be the nearest - Brittany Ferries. But wouldn’t that involve an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority if two competing companies wanted to merge? So to avoid the most likely buyer being debarred, HQ at Macquarie probably gave orders not to compete with BF. So Condor’s direct Poole – St Malo route finished, then the interline Poole-Cherbourg finished, and a couple of years ago the Summer Sundays Portsmouth- Cherbourg sailings ended. Today it is very unattractive to use Condor to travel via CI to France. Result? No competition between the two companies, so no cause for the CMA to get involved and possibly block a takeover. And lots of possible efficiency gains. Am I being cynical?

Don't care personally as long as we have Brittany Ferries running routes to the islands.....of course it may not happen at all but here's me hoping.

• Like 2

If I remember rightly, the ending of the joint Poole-Cherbourg route was fairly one-sided and not the most cordial.  (I think it was Condor who pulled out?).  And the abolition of the through-St Malo service was a consequence of reducing to one vessel.  So unless you are suggesting that the purchase of Liberation itself was all part of a strange plot to merge the companies, I suspect you are reading too much into things.  That was also all a long time ago, and the situation with both companies is now very different to what it was then.  

I do agree that there could be no basis for the competition authorities to object to a purchase by BF.  I also agree with Nick that it would be great to see BF take charge of the CI services.

Whether it would turn out to be a shrewd investment or a chain around their finances by BF, only time will tell.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Altranter said:

I just had a thought on the BF bid for Condor. Perhaps the investment company which owns Condor was planning this for many years? They probably thought their best exit route was to sell to a trade buyer

Could not agree with you more. They did not want to be seen as directly competing with BF and attracting the attention of the competition authorities for this deal to pass. These short-term investors always have an "exit strategy". It's all unraveling now just like at the end of a Scooby Doo episode.

Would the Condor element of the French market have counted as significant enough in the typical way the CMA assess these things? I suspect not, although if it was the only remaining competition then that may be different.

I'm not sure if they can assess as anti-competitive the barriers to entry BF are erecting by sewing up most of the ports a rival would want to use but it's pretty clear to see that's what they're doing.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

If I remember rightly, the ending of the joint Poole-Cherbourg route was fairly one-sided and not the most cordial.  (I think it was Condor who pulled out?).  

This is where Hawser is missed - that was when BF suddenly reinstated Barfleur out of the blue.  If I remember correctly, it was a falling out between the two companies.  

• Like 1

That’s a smart-looking ship!  I wonder if anyone at BFHQ back then knew what she’d look like 5 years later!

Mind you, an even more inappropriate choice of photograph for a press release about Channel Island services than Tony’s picture of Bretagne!  We’ll be having an E-Flexer sailing there next! 🤣

• Like 2

There isn't really a decent photo they could use apart from their logo perhaps. Should have just used a photo of Symphony of the Seas.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

12 minutes ago, Gareth said:

That’s a smart-looking ship!  I wonder if anyone at BFHQ back then knew what she’d look like 5 years later!

Something has definitely changed in BF...Where are the days of BF taking ugly-looking ships like the Nils Holgerson and turning them in sleek ships like the Val gone to?

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

There isn't really a decent photo they could use

Your contribution to the top of this page if probably the best so far! :)

I guess it would be dangerous to use NEX (as the only BF vessel that could be accommodated in the CI) just in case it is considered to be a leading indication of plans.

15 minutes ago, Gareth said:

(as the only BF vessel that could be accommodated in the CI)

Well this one would fit as well Gareth.....🤣 (excuse the cut and paste)

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "ferry lifeboats"

• Haha 1