Sign in to follow this  
Paully

Portsmouth - St Malo 23/6/19

Arrived in plenty of time at Portsmouth and on moving through, the random picked for security operation was in full swing..seems intelligence led is beyond them so, they were picking car loads of pensioners to search like they were going by air instead..What was noticeable was they never stopped anything with a non UK reg plates, foreign language equals too hard pile for the Brits..hmm

Anyway the Bretagne arrived on time and discharged fairly quickly but the shore loaders seemed to be insufficient for the large number of unaccompanied trailers that were going on, as well as a lot of other freight, so loading delayed her departure..At check-in they said she was full but the numbers on board didn't seem to be that many. Although singled up, we had to wait until the Etretat backed into the berth next to us, looking very light on freight. After we turned the Bretagne had to hold, in what I think is called the lake, to allow Mont St Michel to pass us inbound from Caen..we left the port about an hour late but a smooth crossing and an on time arrival into a monsoon St Malo. The Commandant on this trip was Herve de Kergarigou..

Onboard..we found the crew friendly and as always a bit of bad French smooths any bumps out😁 the evening entertainment was quite good we found, especially the illusionist. Cabinwise we had a club class, 8001, which was clean in itself apart from the carpets that were badly stained and long overdue for a deepish clean. We did enjoy the bridge cam on channel 25 though. The cabins are what they are..yes small and old but never going to change. The engine noise, as with a lot of older ships, does intrude into the passenger and cabin areas.

We had the usual buffet breakfast in the Les Abers, which now is slightly cheaper than a similar one at Premier Inn..Quality and quantity were excellent..one disappointing issue was, especially in the morning some of the crew were scruffy. The older, smarter, very French, waiting staff seemed to have been replaced by those much younger, who appear to have been recruited from fast food outlets..Sorry but the ambiance just wasn't there..

This time we were on deck 4 and we were off very quickly into heavy rain, certainly heavy enough to deter any would be Gilet Jaune  on the Naye roundabout 😁

Now down in lovely weather near Massignac in a gite booked through BF..well recommended 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Paully said:

Arrived in plenty of time at Portsmouth and on moving through, the random picked for security operation was in full swing..seems intelligence led is beyond them so, they were picking car loads of pensioners to search like they were going by air instead..What was noticeable was they never stopped anything with a non UK reg plates, foreign language equals too hard pile for the Brits..hmm

Anyway the Bretagne arrived on time and discharged fairly quickly but the shore loaders seemed to be insufficient for the large number of unaccompanied trailers that were going on, as well as a lot of other freight, so loading delayed her departure..At check-in they said she was full but the numbers on board didn't seem to be that many. Although singled up, we had to wait until the Etretat backed into the berth next to us, looking very light on freight. After we turned the Bretagne had to hold, in what I think is called the lake, to allow Mont St Michel to pass us inbound from Caen..we left the port about an hour late but a smooth crossing and an on time arrival into a monsoon St Malo. The Commandant on this trip was Herve de Kergarigou..

Onboard..we found the crew friendly and as always a bit of bad French smooths any bumps out😁 the evening entertainment was quite good we found, especially the illusionist. Cabinwise we had a club class, 8001, which was clean in itself apart from the carpets that were badly stained and long overdue for a deepish clean. We did enjoy the bridge cam on channel 25 though. The cabins are what they are..yes small and old but never going to change. The engine noise, as with a lot of older ships, does intrude into the passenger and cabin areas.

We had the usual buffet breakfast in the Les Abers, which now is slightly cheaper than a similar one at Premier Inn..Quality and quantity were excellent..one disappointing issue was, especially in the morning some of the crew were scruffy. The older, smarter, very French, waiting staff seemed to have been replaced by those much younger, who appear to have been recruited from fast food outlets..Sorry but the ambiance just wasn't there..

This time we were on deck 4 and we were off very quickly into heavy rain, certainly heavy enough to deter any would be Gilet Jaune  on the Naye roundabout 😁

Now down in lovely weather near Massignac in a gite booked through BF..well recommended 

Bretagne isn't the only vessel in the fleet in need of a "deep clean". Barfleur and Normandie, as well as parts of Pont Aven need a deep clean as soon as possible. This is probably unlikely. 

Still love Bretagne, somewhat irreplaceable I think. Just got some kind of charm, which is unlikely to be reproduced for years to come, particularly with E-Flexors being seen as the preferred option for the time being.

• Like 4

Travelled on Bretagne today.  27.6.19

St. Malo check in lady more interested in talking to the other check in lady, result Commodore Cabin Keys didn't work !

Replaced without comment or apology at information desk. Cabin clean but bathroom sink showing its age chipped and cracking.

Lunched in Les Abers, all good, didn't notice any bad smell outside, but dined early and left late.  Crossing choppy, quite a big swell but Commandant Raimbeaux smoothed the way !

• Like 1

I’ve no idea how you couldn’t smell the sick it was very strong plus there was a large mark on the carpet the Mrs and I noticed also overhead the entertainment staff complaining about their toilets not working on deck 1 apparently one side of the ships don’t work on deck 1 and haven’t for a few days. ( I was using the free WiFi at the information desk.) our cabin was ok a bit ratly and noisy and the work being down above didn’t help.920B73AA-0A1E-4585-9EF8-707E59642769.thumb.jpeg.80eb29cb2769e8a1e946590246989acc.jpeg

Edited by neilcvx

I have to agree with you about the noise, your photo captures it !  We had a breakfast by the 8th deck cafe and the man with the angle grinder immediately overhead made it feel worse than a visit to the dentist with drilling, grinding and clunks when bits fell off !  With hindsight the staff nearest the door at Les Abers seemed a little tense, perhaps they had witnessed the terrible deed that you could smell and it must have threatened business, the restaurant wasn't very full.  FortunatelyI missed the mark on the carpet and enjoyed a good lunch. Didn't consider it sea sick weather, it looked rough but the ride wasn't.

I was ok but the Mrs noticed the choppiness glad I got to the bow before it was shut off, the top deck shuffle game got cancelled due to the weather but I managed a respectable 2nd place in the quiz (by myself as the Mrs didn’t leave the cabin after the cabin was ready.).

Regarding cabin keys, the main reason they stop working properly is if you put them next to a mobile phone in your pocket.  I very much doubt that keys not working is because of check-in staff chatting!

Three passengers, 3 cabin keys. Each handed over to the named passenger as they were handed out of the window of the check in booth. None of them came close to a mobile phone.

St Malo staff have been a bit indifferent on our last few trips. Handing in the booking ticket with the 9C request clearly visible, boarding pass and cabin keys and that was it,We had to point out the "park near lift request " and ask why the young man didn't offer the required sticker.  Yesterday's check in was quite slow while one woman was incessantly chatting about what sounded like  "Hospital Ships" ! to someone behind her, none of the tickets would open the cabin door. Perhaps there was an error in programming them ?.  I've  made 112+ trips so I should know how to use them :). It hadn't happened before.  When the replacement keys worked and the macaroons came into view all was forgiven !!!

• Haha 1

I had to get a “Duplicata” ticket as well but that’s because I lost it twirling  around on the chairs at the information desk.

• Haha 2