Sign in to follow this  
cvabishop

France Holiday Advice

I wonder if i could tap into the knowledge bank on this site.

Mrs B and I are thinking about a holiday (max 10 days overall) in the Auvergne region next year between mid May and mid June assuming that the EU will have not banned UK visitors by then!

We have driven through it a couple of times in the past en route to points south and the volcanic scenery looked very interesting and worth spending more time in.  It's an area we have never explored before.

Basically we would be looking for a central base from which to explore the region staying in a modest hotel in a scenic location with a reasonable choice of local eateries. BF have a couple of large hotels in Clermont Ferrand but they are quite expensive and parking is costly too, plus CF is maybe a bit bigger than we would like as a base.

Looking at the map, Le Monte Dore looks a possibility although it is a popular spa town and winter resort. I would appreciate any advice on whether there are alternative options that could be used as a base and any comments in general on the region and its attractions. We have a copy of the Green Michelin guide which we bought some years ago and lists places to go to.

As far as ferries are concerned, we will consider BF but also Dover/Calais depending on the pricing. We would overnight in either direction in Kyriads or similar for relaxing driving!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Colin

I was tempted by a Guardian article recently which recommended www.auberge-puy-mary.com  Not quite the  area you are looking at but perhaps a possibility if you are touring. The article is still online with the heading Cantal in the Travel section on the Guardian web page .

Edited by wortley

Colin .........

On our way from the south to St Malo, we usually overnight in the CF region (half day to there, then a full day to St M).

Can’t really offer much advice about the area because we are always just overnighting rather than holidaymaking.

What I would say is that your instinct about avoiding Clermont Ferrand itself is IMO spot on.  Its an industrial city, with few redeeming features.