jamess

Christmas / New Year Cruises 2019/2020

Hi,

Given the trouble with the Pont Aven this year and the remedial work still required,  does anyone have any idea whether the mini cruises will be running?

Thanks,

James

I'm very reliably informed these are still going ahead and expected to be announced/bookable at the end of the month. Antwerp for Christmas, Honfleur for New Year...

Thanks Jim. Why don't they do something more original? If for example PA needs to go to Poland to have the new engine fitted then offer a new year cruise to Copenhagen, fly everyone back to Southampton and send the ship on from there. I'd be interested in that. Ed. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Thanks Jim. Why don't they do something more original? If for example PA needs to go to Poland to have the new engine fitted then offer a new year cruise to Copenhagen, fly everyone back to Southampton and send the ship on from there. I'd be interested in that. Ed. 

Tongue firmly in cheek I was going to ask if Gdansk was nice at Christmas!

Sensible hat on says they'd want to destore at one of their own ports first.

25 minutes ago, penguin said:

Sensible hat on says they'd want to destore at one of their own ports first.

They won't need to if the passengers drink and eat everything onboard. 😉 Ed. 

It's a shame they are not going to Rouen instead for New Year - however Antwerp is certainly appealing!

Yes, Rouen would definitely have more appeal than just nipping across the channel to Honfleur (lovely though Honfleur is - it's just not much of a "cruise").

I wonder whether Pont Aven is too big for Rouen?  Has she been up the river before, or were all the Rouen calls handled by Bretagne?

Shame it's becoming a bit "formulaic".  We have given BF plenty of ideas for alternative destinations, so I'd have hoped they might have considered some of them and moved to mix it up a bit.  Especially if their festive cruise clientele consists of a loyal core (don't know whether it is or whether it is different people every year) - in an ideal world they would not sail to the same destinations in consecutive years.  Have half a dozen destinations and rotate them around.

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Interestingly, we all tend to think of Gdansk as just an industrial port.  But some friends of mine have just returned from a Baltic cruise that took in, amongst others, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Tallin, Copenhagen and Bergen.  Amongst all that lot, they report that their favourite visit was to Gdansk.  Partly, they say, because its charm and interest was so unexpected.

7 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I wonder whether Pont Aven is too big for Rouen? 

They get 180+ metre tankers down there and it's deffo deep enough.

30 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I wonder whether Pont Aven is too big for Rouen?  Has she been up the river before, or were all the Rouen calls handled by Bretagne?

Think she went there a couple of times, 2 or 3 years ago.  People said about the stern ramp being down with a walkway to get ashore.

Edited by Solo

5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Because that would be a logistical nightmare. Remember, this isn't BF's primary business - and, frankly, I don't think they have too much of an issue filling them as-is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

They won't need to if the passengers drink and eat everything onboard. 😉 Ed. 

Pont-Aven has been restocked in Poland before, there's no reason why a vessel can't be de-stored in another port.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

6 hours ago, Solo said:

Think she went there a couple of times, 2 or 3 years ago.  People said about the stern ramp being down with a walkway to get ashore.

17 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Hasn't Pont-Aven been there few years back for a Christmas cruise?

That's correct, in past visits to Rouen, she has moored alongside Docks 76. 

• Thanks 1

The advantage of going to Rouen this year would be that if another engine packs up they can just use the Seine current to carry her back to Le Havre? 😉 

But, in all seriousness, it may be that with only three engines they are worried she can't actually get up to Rouen if the river is in full flow. Ed. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The current’s not that fast Ed!  She faces stronger every time she rounds Ushant. 🤣

That depends how many Parisians flush their loos simultaneously! 🤣 Ed. 

• Haha 3

Thanks for all this...

any idea how fast it sells out? I am after 2 x 2 birth outside cabins for the new year trip.

James

21 hours ago, jamess said:

Thanks for all this...

any idea how fast it sells out? I am after 2 x 2 birth outside cabins for the new year trip.

James

It depends on the type of cabin - but I would suspect outside cabins would be one of the first to go.

The BF website used to list how many of each type of cabin on each ferry.  This seems to have gone with the migration to a new site.

Is this available anywhere now?