jamess

Christmas / New Year Cruises 2019/2020

1 hour ago, jamess said:

The BF website used to list how many of each type of cabin on each ferry.  This seems to have gone with the migration to a new site.

Is this available anywhere now?

It still does on the ships and onboard section

• Like 1

Thanks...

i guess the french site is slightly out of date then as it suggests that Normandie does not have pet friendly cabins.....

James

Last year I booked in early October and was advised that there were only inside cabins left - so I guess the advice is to get in quick!

Thought for a minute you were talking about the ferry there, rather than the destination!

Made me think - I believe that, with the arrival of Honfleur, this will be the first time BF will have operated a ferry with the same name as one of its ports/destinations.  (Albeit, in this case, just a once-per-year cruise destination).  Potential for a bit of confusion?!

Having now booked and thinking about the time onboard PA, does anyone have a copy of the entertainment guide from last year that they could upload?

thanks

That's very interesting. We have just booked with Cruise & Maritime on Magellan for 8th December on a Festive 4 night cruise. Itinerary is Tilbury, River Seine & Rouen (half day), Honfleur (full day) and Zeebrugge, for Bruges, full day then back to Tilbury. There are Christmas markets in Rouen and Bruges (the latter is good, have visited previously by car).

To compare accommodation with BF you need to look at the Commodore Cabin rate at £540pp but that only includes continental breakfast.

Cruise and Maritime cost for two is £914 which includes a good midships outside cabin with tea & coffee facilities plus all meals plus proper cruise ship amenities and entertainments.

I rather think that is better value!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

That's very interesting. We have just booked with Cruise & Maritime on Magellan for 8th December on a Festive 4 night cruise. Itinerary is Tilbury, River Seine & Rouen (half day), Honfleur (full day) and Zeebrugge, for Bruges, full day then back to Tilbury. There are Christmas markets in Rouen and Bruges (the latter is good, have visited previously by car).

To compare accommodation with BF you need to look at the Commodore Cabin rate at £540pp but that only includes continental breakfast.

Cruise and Maritime cost for two is £914 which includes a good midships outside cabin with tea & coffee facilities plus all meals plus proper cruise ship amenities and entertainments.

I rather think that is better value!

The food on BF is rather better quality, as you'd perhaps expect given it will be fresher than typical frozen or pre-prepared, more mass produced cruise ship food. Magellan is a fine ship, but, cabins aside, the interior fitout in Pont-Aven's smaller array of public spaces is of a rather more substantial quality (I imagine the $ per square budget BF had to play with back in the day would make Cruise & Maritime wince).

Having sailed on them both it's a tight call, but Pont-Aven would probably get my money. And she definitely would over some of the floating Butlins sailing out there for larger UK-based cruise operators - I'm not sure what would be worse, the kitschness of the ships or the horrors of some of the fellow passengers.

• Like 1

The  C&M food is generally rated is pretty good so I don't accept that it is necessarily better than aboard PA. PA has very limited public spaces in comparison, just one main bar which doubles as a lounge and which we have previously found to be not the best place to be when celebrations are taking place.

Plus of course, you have to purchase all your main meals on PA which really pushes the overall cost up considerably, extremely so if you favour the waiter restaurant.

Essentially PA is a ferry with all that that entails.

Agreed, Magellan is a 3 star ship but for four nights and three ports I do think it trumps the PA offering, especially if you can't run to the BF Commodore cabin.

Also, bear in mind that Magellan in a previous life was considered to be a state of the art design for Carnival and that does interest me. PA is an OK ship but flawed in many respects compared with Bretagne. But that is just our opinion. On top of that, the itinerary is more attractive.

Each to his own of course.

1 hour ago, jamess said:

Having now booked and thinking about the time onboard PA, does anyone have a copy of the entertainment guide from last year that they could upload?

thanks

Yes, I do, as it was left in the cabin I used on the next scheduled sailing along with a number of other unexpected and unsavoury items (you can search for 'hair band' or 'sequin' and you'll probably find it). I don't have it to hand right now but will try to dig it out on my return from holiday. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 1

On 05/07/2019 at 14:36, rileyman said:

Good idea but what about the passengers that do not fly ? A train journey would be nice !!!!

Good idea. One can go from London to Antwerp by train in merely three hours and stay in a rathef nice hotel, or trundle up and down the channel in mid winter for a four day Christmas cruise on a ferry. I know what Pont Aven cabins are like and I know what hotel rooms are like. Decision made !