standrewac2

Dogs remaining on car deck.

We sailed from Ouistreham last Sunday on the MSM, departing 16:00. Whilst on the car deck, preparing to leave our dogs in the car, as usual, we noticed a couple putting their two black labradors in their caravan.  I asked them if they always did this and was told that they did so. Why didn't we do likewise? Right/proper/safe?

51 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Related to your post above, this might be of interest. 

https://twitter.com/Condor_Ferries/status/1146027292340232193?s=20

Ed

Ed, my Yeti needs two pushes on the button to turn off the alarm, the list of owners who don't know that is long and distinguished. Hands up all of those who read their car manual (come on, you all know it's the type of sad thing I'll do avidly).

1 hour ago, standrewac2 said:

We sailed from Ouistreham last Sunday on the MSM, departing 16:00. Whilst on the car deck, preparing to leave our dogs in the car, as usual, we noticed a couple putting their two black labradors in their caravan.  I asked them if they always did this and was told that they did so. Why didn't we do likewise? Right/proper/safe?

You're caravan will be cooler especially if you open a roof light an inch or two and lower/raise the blinds plus you've more space for beds, water etc. I thought all doggie loving caravanners did this?

I've been hunting for a second-hand, petrol-engined, 4x4 Yeti over here for ages but they are elusive beasts. And now they are officially extinct according to Skoda. 😢 Ed. 

Very. Surprised that all caravan owners with pets did not put then in caravan. On these short crossings and it so much more comfy for the pets too

On 02/07/2019 at 18:27, Cabin-boy said:

I've been hunting for a second-hand, petrol-engined, 4x4 Yeti over here for ages but they are elusive beasts. And now they are officially extinct according to Skoda. 😢 Ed. 

Last RHD produced 2017. Replaced by new SUV not as compact externally so not as good for N Devon lanes!

Red the manual cover to cover on my Seat Alhambra 2014 but no where does it tell you how to disable the car alarm. Old sharan just lock with key but no key holes on new Alhambra. Two pushes of lock button just disables  dead bolts no mention of alarm. Looked on enthusiasts websites not come across answer yet!

5 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

Red the manual cover to cover on my Seat Alhambra 2014 but no where does it tell you how to disable the car alarm. Old sharan just lock with key but no key holes on new Alhambra. Two pushes of lock button just disables  dead bolts no mention of alarm. Looked on enthusiasts websites not come across answer yet!

I have a Hyundai similarly afflicted with no key holes either John... however cunningly concealed in a roof panel is a push button, which when you light it up it turns the motion sensor off..The alarm themselves cannot normally be turned off...hope this helps

Surely the best solution IF YOU really don’t know how to disable your alarm,  -  don’t lock your car.

Nobodies is going to Knick it and drive it away are they? The car decks themselves are secured and are under video surveillance. If you put your car in your garage, do you lock it?

Dog owners have to leave windows open. Our 5 year old dog has travelled so often she is on her 4th  EU passport, Brexit dependant she may yet get to her 5th, nothing has ever been taken from our car through the open windows.

That’s why I cannot understand why BF do not have a  name and shame policy re car alarms, where offenders are announced and taken to the car deck to unlock offending cars.

They should do this “pour le confort de  tous” Dogs are fare paying too! 

But most of all for the canines (and felines) who are assaulted by the sounds  of the car alarms for hours on end bouncing off the walls of the car deck, we know when there has been a car alarm problem, our pet is agitated Usially not eating the day after. Dog hearing is not only more sensitive than humans it is more directional, the sound of the alarms and the echos they produce is akin to torture for the animals.

10 hours ago, nodwad said:

Very. Surprised that all caravan owners with pets did not put then in caravan. On these short crossings and it so much more comfy for the pets too

Hmm., the crossing from Ouistreham is about 6 hours, add in all the time before loading etc. and it is a long stay in the car. I think we'll try placing the dogs in the 'van next tim and judge their reaction. Sleep, Most probably!

6 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

I have a VW Touran not the same car I realise but is VAG. Pre 2014 the alarm was disabled by a small button on the B pillar drivers side which changed colour when pressed. My 2014 version used the dash infotainment display. if yours is the same the volumetric alarm is disabled within that system. With the ignition on touch car then settings,scroll down to opening and closing, touch that section and a new display should appear, find the box about disabling the internal alarm, touch and a tick box changes, job done. Remember the system will reset next time the ignition is turned on. Apols if all that is not relevant to you but it may help someone.

https://www.seat.com/datamanual-manual/alhambra/my17_w45/en-uk/ALHAMBRA_11_16_EN.pdf < Page 8 seems to imply locking with the key as opposed to the remote will stop the alarm from triggering?

(Incidentally, 'Nissan Wisdom' is that when you disable the alarm the car will beep loudly when being locked to tell you... so if you ever hear a Nissan beep, it's merely telling everyone to go and nick it)

On 02/07/2019 at 17:27, Cabin-boy said:

Ed, If you want a petrol 4x4 you may have to settle for the older 4motion VW Tiguan which is essentially the same car. Skoda didn't build a petrol 4x4 Yeti, not for the U.K anyway. The Audi Q3 Quattro, again basically the same only came in diesel too. Including the Seat's they all use the same gen V 4x4 system.

1 hour ago, KeithR said:

I have a VW Touran not the same car I realise but is VAG. Pre 2014 the alarm was disabled by a small button on the B pillar drivers side which changed colour when pressed. My 2014 version used the dash infotainment display. if yours is the same the volumetric alarm is disabled within that system. With the ignition on touch car then settings,scroll down to opening and closing, touch that section and a new display should appear, find the box about disabling the internal alarm, touch and a tick box changes, job done. Remember the system will reset next time the ignition is turned on. Apols if all that is not relevant to you but it may help someone.

Yep, my 2013 Fabia vrs had the same button on the B pillar.

Wing mirrors, those pesky pointy sticky outy things which really get in the way on Bretagne's deck 5? The manual doesn't really tell you but if you have foldable ones on a Skoda press and hold the lock button on your key fob, same thing globally closes your windows/Roof and obviously the opposite occurs when unlocking. Is that the same on all VAG?

2 hours ago, Jim said:

https://www.seat.com/datamanual-manual/alhambra/my17_w45/en-uk/ALHAMBRA_11_16_EN.pdf < Page 8 seems to imply locking with the key as opposed to the remote will stop the alarm from triggering?

(Incidentally, 'Nissan Wisdom' is that when you disable the alarm the car will beep loudly when being locked to tell you... so if you ever hear a Nissan beep, it's merely telling everyone to go and nick it)

You can press the key's lock button twice to disable the interior monitor and anti-tow, and also the deadlocks but leave the anti-theft alarm on.  See Page 117 of the manual.  This is the same as my 2013 Passat which is derived from the Touran apparently, the same as the Alhambra.  I often use the double press if I want to leave the windows down for ventilation, but tend to use the button on the B-pillar on the ferries. 

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Wing mirrors, those pesky pointy sticky outy things which really get in the way on Bretagne's deck 5? The manual doesn't really tell you but if you have foldable ones on a Skoda press and hold the lock button on your key fob, same thing globally closes your windows/Roof and obviously the opposite occurs when unlocking. Is that the same on all VAG?

Manual mirror folding on my 2013 Passat 😞

Automatic wing mirror folding on my Citroen C3, but then not being a 'Chelsea tractor' you could probably walk by it anyway! - a bigger annoyance is careless passengers with large bags rubbing down the side of the car. Grrrrrr!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

Last RHD produced 2017. Replaced by new SUV not as compact externally so not as good for N Devon lanes!

I think there was just this LHD version. 

https://www.lacentrale.fr/fiche-technique-voiture-skoda-yeti-(2)+1.4+tsi+150+4x4+drive+dsg6-2018.html

The conversion to RHD was probably tricky due to the steering rack position and not economical to re-engineer. I know Mercedes and BMW have refused to sell certain models in RHD versions for the same reason and the potential sales figures meant it wasn't worth the expense. Ed. 

28 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think there was just this LHD version. 

https://www.lacentrale.fr/fiche-technique-voiture-skoda-yeti-(2)+1.4+tsi+150+4x4+drive+dsg6-2018.html

The conversion to RHD was probably tricky due to the steering rack position and not economical to re-engineer. I know Mercedes and BMW have refused to sell certain models in RHD versions for the same reason and the potential sales figures meant it wasn't worth the expense. Ed. 

I have seen 17 plate RHD Yeti’s in Devon where they are incredibly popular one particular one was absolutely immaculate and just seen a 19 plate LHD IN PORTUGAL. The later ones have no markings at the back so difficult to tell if they are diesel or 4x4.

1 hour ago, nottingham said:

Automatic wing mirror folding on my Citroen C3, but then not being a 'Chelsea tractor' you could probably walk by it anyway! - a bigger annoyance is careless passengers with large bags rubbing down the side of the car. Grrrrrr!

2014 Alhambra has twist button on drivers armrest to bring mirrors in and put them. Always do that here in Spain and Portugal they cost several hundred £ to replace  and the no of cars you see with a mirrors hanging by a cable makes me very nervious.

2 hours ago, PSUPete said:

Manual mirror folding on my 2013 Passat 😞

Same on our 2014 plate LHD Skoda Fabia always put them in here (see above) and no button on the B pillar.

5 hours ago, Jim said:

As I said 2014 has no key hole to use the key in!