Sign in to follow this  
shar^k

Short Break

Myself and Mrs. Shar^k have booked a short break to France in September. Out of Cork on the Pont on the 14 returning to Cork on the 17 on the Connemara. 

Main purpose is she would like to visit Mont Saint Michel again. So we are saying there the first night and Roscoff for the second night. 

Is there any other place worth visiting between Roscoff and Mont Saint Michel?

I would visit Dinan it’s a very picturesque town well worth a visit or there’s always StMalo and the intra muros.1F9F8BC2-7EF6-4EDA-AEE5-A3E8FCB7F513.thumb.jpeg.c851bf46ad1d33d72e350d82810ebc51.jpeg1F9F8BC2-7EF6-4EDA-AEE5-A3E8FCB7F513.thumb.jpeg.c851bf46ad1d33d72e350d82810ebc51.jpeg9A932840-75E3-4F37-9856-33A5F0B295B9.thumb.jpeg.c9d96ffe732ca42b67c8cb0057674f42.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Dinan is very nice but if you prefer to stick to the coast then try Fort La Latte as it's spectacular. Ed. 

BCE499B4-CA4C-4DA2-AA97-0091960C0303.thumb.jpeg.2d8807fc86a20b24ea6a5c705f04eaf0.jpegF1CFC87F-9894-4CD0-B2F7-E2E813F83B1F.thumb.jpeg.236de4352cf93ca4169a48f432a99874.jpegYep it’s nice but the toilets leave a lot to be desired even by French standards.

• Haha 2

There’s a small boat that leaves St Malo and goes down to Dinan I suspect that is worth doing although I never got around to it.

The boat from St Malo up (😉) to Dinan is well worth doing.  It doesn’t leave you with a huge amount of time in Dinan (probably time for lunch and that’s about it) before you have to head back (unless you plan in going back on a different day or a different way).  Times are tidal.  But the passage up the barraged Rance is fascinating, and then it becomes so narrow once past the Chatelier lock you wonder if there is enough space!  You can take boat one way and bus the other if you want longer, but the boat is a great way of doing it.

• Like 2

Great loos! That really is a room with a view, you wouldn't need to use air freshener either....🤣

I've used that little ferry from Dinan several times although for obvious reasons it's tidal restricted. Entering St Malo is fabulous on a sunny morning and heading back to Dinan the estuary just gets narrower and narrower - well worth it....

Chris

• Like 3

CEE7B0DB-14BD-42B8-B9ED-C86C39984F2A.thumb.jpeg.2015c35cd8e4a3df49f9ffd3edb9843d.jpeg

It’s unfortunate that you sit with your back to the view or not sit at all if you’re like my Mrs I won’t repeat word for word what she did but it involved holes in the ground and stupid aires , but at least they were free.

• Haha 1

My parents were very brave and went on camping holidays in the late 50's and early 60's when Europe was very different to how it is today, it being less than 15 years after the end of WW2. In 1965 we took my grandparents and on arrival at our first stop Fred my grandad was desperate for the loo and shuffled off into the distance while we set up the caravan and awning. After what seemed like an age he returned absolutely soaked. He found the sanitary block ok but starting on one side each loo being of the Turkish type (hole in the ground) was either filthy or out of order; on turning the corner there was a huge improvement so he did the necessary, pulled the flush only to find he was in the shower block .....🤣

A true story I can assure you - Chris

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

CEE7B0DB-14BD-42B8-B9ED-C86C39984F2A.thumb.jpeg.2015c35cd8e4a3df49f9ffd3edb9843d.jpeg

It’s unfortunate that you sit with your back to the view or not sit at all if you’re like my Mrs I won’t repeat word for word what she did but it involved holes in the ground and stupid aires , but at least they were free.

Isn't that how you get into Narnia?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you do go there and have a little extra time to spare then take a short drive to the tip of the peninsula at Cap Frehel where there are spectacular views and an interesting lighthouse that you should be able to climb up. Ed. 

39 minutes ago, shar^k said:

Definitely putting Fort La Latte on the list!

It really is worth a visit I highly recommend it , don’t miss the goats and other animals they are on your left as you head down and are easy to miss the ram isn’t hard to miss though 😉6D1F825B-C233-4621-BF95-28F158790231.thumb.jpeg.4948c63f582ac67901becf43d677b77d.jpeg

We wanted an escape from the heat one day so headed to the Grand aquarium in St Malo and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would it’s worth a visit if it’s raining.

5 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

it’s worth a visit if it’s raining.

Dont! We made that mistake on a day when it was chucking it down. Half of northern France was inside and the other half were getting drenched waiting outside. In fact it was so wet you could see the fish looking at us jealously and planning their escape. Ed. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Dont! We made that mistake on a day when it was chucking it down. Half of northern France was inside and the other half were getting drenched waiting outside. In fact it was so wet you could see the fish looking at us jealously and planning their escape. Ed. 

I saw a lady walking across with a till so stepped out the massive line I was waiting in and stood at the only empty till 30 seconds later there was 80 folk behind.

9 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Good idea. Here is the brochure covering all their various cruises. 

Ed.

brochure_generale_2019__073504400_1931_13032019.pdf 3.83 MB · 3 downloads

Thanks Ed duly printed, the missus is now perusing said brochure with ever increasing expressions of delight...!

Any excuse to head back to St Malo, I feel another weekender coming on.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, neilcvx said:

BCE499B4-CA4C-4DA2-AA97-0091960C0303.thumb.jpeg.2d8807fc86a20b24ea6a5c705f04eaf0.jpegF1CFC87F-9894-4CD0-B2F7-E2E813F83B1F.thumb.jpeg.236de4352cf93ca4169a48f432a99874.jpegYep it’s nice but the toilets leave a lot to be desired even by French standards.

Nothing wrong with that privvy.

Villa Park in the early to mid '80's. Yes, no, anyone?

Toilets at the back of the Whitton End was a long wall and a trough. 15,000 sweaty heavy drinking Evertonians crammed in for an FA semi, you didn't want to be back there if the sun was shining... Character building, that's what it was or so my dad said.

Eh, can I start a loo thread, must have visited thousands of times over the years, have you seen the mad ones made in Japan which look like the com chair from the enterprise?

21 minutes ago, jonno said:

Nothing wrong with that privvy.

Villa Park in the early to mid '80's. Yes, no, anyone?

Toilets at the back of the Whitton End was a long wall and a trough. 15,000 sweaty heavy drinking Evertonians crammed in for an FA semi, you didn't want to be back there if the sun was shining... Character building, that's what it was or so my dad said.

Eh, can I start a loo thread, must have visited thousands of times over the years, have you seen the mad ones made in Japan which look like the com chair from the enterprise?

Hampden park in the late 80s Scottish cup finals most folk didn’t even go to the actual loo 🤢

When we first started visiting France back in the 80s many of the toilets were 'interesting' to say the least. Among others I recall a 'squatter' built into the basement of Notre Dame in Paris. It was perfectly normal for ladies to brave a line of gentlemen lined up at urinals en route to their stalls. As for Fort La Latte, there is a small clearing in the bushes in the path leading down to the entrance which offers an alfresco facility...

I recall at Rocamadour meeting an American lady who had braved the local public WC and was severely traumatised as a result. Franco/US relations would never be the same.

Of course these days one just calls into a local cafe for a coffee and uses the usually decent facilities there.

The Americans also have difficulties in Greece where the loo paper has to be deposited in a bin as the 4 inch plumbing cannot cope with it. Greece is the better for their absence.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Eh, can I start a loo thread, 

I think the title of this thread covers that already, albeit by coincidence. 

1 hour ago, jonno said:

made in Japan

We have a Japanese one in a restaurant here in Angers. It has heating, massage and multi-angled water-jet options. People unaware generally emerge with expressions ranging from disgust to orgasmic depending on which button on the unfathomable remote control they pressed without realising there is actually a translation card propped up behind the flowers on top of the cistern. Ed. 

3 hours ago, cvabishop said:

When we first started visiting France back in the 80s many of the toilets were 'interesting' to say the least. Among others I recall a 'squatter' built into the basement of Notre Dame in Paris. It was perfectly normal for ladies to brave a line of gentlemen lined up at urinals en route to their stalls. As for Fort La Latte, there is a small clearing in the bushes in the path leading down to the entrance which offers an alfresco facility...

I recall at Rocamadour meeting an American lady who had braved the local public WC and was severely traumatised as a result. Franco/US relations would never be the same.

Of course these days one just calls into a local cafe for a coffee and uses the usually decent facilities there.

The Americans also have difficulties in Greece where the loo paper has to be deposited in a bin as the 4 inch plumbing cannot cope with it. Greece is the better for their absence.

There used to be a few like that in the Cherbourg terminal with a space either side for your feet, in 2013 I found a few in the public loos on Aires. I think we were travelling up from the Dordogne at the time.

Its sad I know, but we have always awarded points out of 10 for loos visited over here.

Having become resident, we’re a little more ‘savvy’ now - however you can still get caught out.

When spending a pleasant morning at a local Marche de Fleurs, we stopped by the local bar for a refreshing drink.  I thought that I ‘d avail myself of the facilities prior to our return home.

The ‘place’ got -2, and that was generous !

• Haha 1