Sign in to follow this  
shar^k

Short Break

Another place well worth visiting is Ploumanach and the Cote Granit Rose.  The walk between Ploumanach and Perros Guirec is magic (although personally I can give Perros Guirec itself a miss).

16 hours ago, jonno said:

Nothing wrong with that privvy.

Villa Park in the early to mid '80's. Yes, no, anyone?

Toilets at the back of the Whitton End was a long wall and a trough. 15,000 sweaty heavy drinking Evertonians crammed in for an FA semi, you didn't want to be back there if the sun was shining... Character building, that's what it was or so my dad said.

Eh, can I start a loo thread, must have visited thousands of times over the years, have you seen the mad ones made in Japan which look like the com chair from the enterprise?

That is absolute luxury compared to many city-centre cubicles I have experienced!

16 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

That is absolute luxury compared to many city-centre cubicles I have experienced!

Me, I'm a huge fan of the incinerator toilet which you find in many homes in Scandinavia, no water, sewers or anything just biodegradable ash you can put on your plants every month or so. We're having a gas powered one in the narrowboat and now considering one for the van, emptying cassettes is clean enough but it's bloody tedious. There's ongoing design research and limited production for applying them to shipping as the domestic type can run off both gas & electricity. Ships like Pont Aven has hundreds, imagine how much water they use and the pump out volume. Think of the onboard space you could reclaim if you didn't have sail around with all of that effluent.

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

(although personally I can give Perros Guirec itself a miss).

Are loos not that good then?😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jonno said:

Me, I'm a huge fan of the incinerator toilet which you find in many homes in Scandinavia, no water, sewers or anything just biodegradable ash you can put on your plants every month or so. We're having a gas powered one in the narrowboat and now considering one for the van, emptying cassettes is clean enough but it's bloody tedious. There's ongoing design research and limited production for applying them to shipping as the domestic type can run off both gas & electricity. Ships like Pont Aven has hundreds, imagine how much water they use and the pump out volume. Think of the onboard space you could reclaim if you didn't have sail around with all of that effluent.

Our local sewage plant uses methane from digestors to generate enough power to supply itself - start up fuel is waste oil from local bus companies, wonder if it could work for a ship?

3 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Our local sewage plant uses methane from digestors to generate enough power to supply itself - start up fuel is waste oil from local bus companies, wonder if it could work for a ship?

Yes it would and can even be powered by the fuel tanks already on board. Ships have systems which remove most of the nastiest stuff out of flush water this is then dumped into the sea once they're 4 miles off shore, the remaining sludge, the really icky stuff, is pumped out when along side a berth.

4 hours ago, jonno said:

Think of the onboard space you could reclaim if you didn't have sail around with all of that effluent.

Enough for a spare engine perhaps? 😀 Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1