Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PSUPete

90kph Speed Limit or is it still 80?

Recommended Posts

I see the French government have voted a potential return of the 80kph limit to 90kph. https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/France-votes-on-a-potential-return-to-90-kph-from-80-kph-speed-limit-on-some-roads

What's the current situation?  We're off to the Vendée next week and don't want to get caught out. 

We were there last year just after the change to 80 and it seemed most locals ignored it, or weren't aware, as the speed limit signs hadn't been changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PSUPete said:

I see the French government have voted a potential return of the 80kph limit to 90kph. https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/France-votes-on-a-potential-return-to-90-kph-from-80-kph-speed-limit-on-some-roads

What's the current situation?  We're off to the Vendée next week and don't want to get caught out. 

We were there last year just after the change to 80 and it seemed most locals ignored it, or weren't aware, as the speed limit signs hadn't been changed.

Still 80..the French Govt are in the process of devolving the limits to the Department Perfects so that will cause more mayhem..The locals, depending on which area you are in, still regard limits as advisory, especially on the back roads..  

  You pays her money😂😂👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read in the paper last week that the number of penalty notices issued by French police to UK drivers doubled last month (to 100,000 I think it was). The reason appears to be that the French think they may lose access to the DVLA owner details database in the event of a hard Brexit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original changes took about 12 months to put in place following President Macron's election and the announcement. I can't see anything changing before the start of next year realistically given the time it will take to propose, consult, debate and confirm which roads, or sections of, need to be reinstated to 90. The other question is whether the authorities kept the original  'national limits apply' signs and can simply replace them or if they need to order new ones indicating 90. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But the key question is whether the French authorities will continue to crack down on UK minor offenders while they still have a chance of swelling the French exchequer. A no brainer maybe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently saw an interview with an official somewhere in central France responsible for local road infrastructure. He was commenting on the possibility that certain roads will have the 90 kmph limit reinstated. In his hand was a directive from the Ministry of Transport outlining the conditions under which the limit could be raised. He cited two specific rules which were:

It must be a stretch of at least 10 kms without any intersections or other obstacles (villages, hamlets, hairpin bends etc).

It must be a road that is not regularly used by agricultural vehicles.

Given that he was in central France, a predominantly rural area with large numbers of small villages (rather than a few big cities) and extensive farms run by cooperatives, the liklihood that they would be able to find any roads to upgrade was effectively nil. So, in conclusion, don't get overly excited about a lot of significant changes any time soon.

Ed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I recently saw an interview with an official somewhere in central France responsible for local road infrastructure. He was commenting on the possibility that certain roads will have the 90 kmph limit reinstated. In his hand was a directive from the Ministry of Transport outlining the conditions under which the limit could be raised. He cited two specific rules which were:

It must be a stretch of at least 10 kms without any intersections or other obstacles (villages, hamlets, hairpin bends etc).

It must be a road that is not regularly used by agricultural vehicles.

Given that he was in central France, a predominantly rural area with large numbers of small villages (rather than a few big cities) and extensive farms run by cooperatives, the liklihood that they would be able to find any roads to upgrade was effectively nil. So, in conclusion, don't get overly excited about a lot of significant changes any time soon.

Ed

Didn't think anything would change anytime soon. A sop to the masses who in any case, certainly down in rural France, have already decided to use limits as advisory..

  For next year we are going to use toll and dualled N roads where we can..D roads with their constantly changing limits aren't worth the hassle..far too time consuming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PSUPete said:

Which reminds me, seeing I started this, this is what the locals think in Clisson!

80or90.jpg

Those Hellfest-goers are such rebels! They used to tear the heads of bats with their bare teeth and now it's just graffiti on a wall. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/09/2019 at 10:11, Paully said:

Didn't think anything would change anytime soon. A sop to the masses who in any case, certainly down in rural France, have already decided to use limits as advisory..

  For next year we are going to use toll and dualled N roads where we can..D roads with their constantly changing limits aren't worth the hassle..far too time consuming.

Considering they have such trouble keeping within the lines, the lower limit isn't always bad thing. God knows I've seen enough oncoming vehicles cross over on the slightest of bends!

 

Part of the problem is the roads vary so much, some are incredibly narrow and twisty, whilst others are practically a mini motorway. I doubt anything will change whilst there are bigger fish to fry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were in the Loire, Charente, Limousin areas a couple of weeks back and clear enforcement taking place by Gendarmes on N and some D roads.

Clearly some drivers believe there must be exemptions available  (French and GB registered vehicles) !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...