Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yann Ferries

Brittany tipped to take over axed Cherbourg ferry route

*Message of Gary Andrews 05/04/2004:

Brittany tipped to take over axed Cherbourg ferry route:

Irish Independent 5 April 2004

BRITTANY Ferries was last night being tipped as the front-runner for a new Ireland-France service after P&O Line axed its Dublin-Cherbourg route at the weekend.

But the French company, which unveiled its new ?165m flagship vessel, the mv Pont-Aven, in Cork on Saturday, is also looking at options other than Dublin for its Irish port. They include a possible second mid-week service to Cork or a new service out of Rosslare.

Brittany Ferries managing director David Longden confirmed the company's interest in a second Irish service. He told the Irish Independent: "If it makes commercial sense we'll not ignore it."

But Stena Line will not be taking over the Dublin Cherbourg route.

Sales and marketing manager Sam Wilson said it could not do so because of its current commitments on the Irish Sea and the necessity to have a ship with sufficient cabin capacity for the overnight journey.

Leading Cork and travel industry dignitaries were at Ringaskiddy to welcome the Pont-Aven when she arrived on her maiden voyage.

The 41,000-ton ship, which is more like a small cruise liner, has capacity for 2,400 passengers and 650 cars. And apart from restaurants, a bistro and bars, it boasts a swimming pool, two cinemas, live entertainment - and

even a kennel for animals.

The Pont-Aven has cut the sailing time from 14 hours to 11.

According to Brittany Ferries general manager for Ireland, Hugh Bruton, the new ship will set itself apart for its competitors because of its "quality, luxury and convenience".

Meanwhile, the south of the country is expected to experience a tourism boost with the clinching of three deals which could deliver over 100,000 extra passengers to Cork Airport, writes Ralph Riegel.

United Travel is to launch new direct services from Cork to Dubai with Gulf Air together with city-break services to Prague, Budapest and Warsaw.

Cork Airport has also clinched a dedicated aircraft from Canadian firm,First Choice Airways, which will be based at the facility to handle over 300 charter services this summer from Cork and Shannon.

Furthermore, Cork will launch a new service by budget carrier, BMIBaby, to Gatwick from April 30 next.

Re:Brittany tipped to take over axed Cherbourg ferry route

Ecellent news. I can see the Val doing a weekly trip in the short term, and if good results then maybe a new shiup?

P and O are shipping out so BF take over!

This even though Dublin Cherbourg was supposed to be a good roiute for P and O.

Yeah i go to france with IF and nothing bad can come of brittany ferries starting another irish route. If they do then hooray bf comein with quality ships which is great AND irish ferries will be forced to raise their game and finally replace the normandy. About p&o pulling out do you mean of dublin or rosslare?

Or give the Normandy a general refit, it´s looking pretty rusty on photos I have seen although I heard from someone that it´s a really nice ship, although in bad need of a good renovation. Nothing worse than a company using ran-down ships, won´t please passengers :(

Yes the normandy is a nice ship but in dire need of a good refitting something similar to her sister stena europe but of a ship that age it wouldnt be worth it. If brittany ferries do start a new route i wonder where it will be from and what ship would be used, in my opinion rosslare would do the most damage to other companies (IF and P&O).

the normandie was refitted in january/february this year!

I think it's Normandy (Irish Ferries), not Normandie (Brittany Ferries) ;D

Yes it is irish ferries normandy and although she she too was refitted in 2003 very little was changed and even after drydocking this year and painting rust still shows through, i can only hope bf come up the irish sea a bit.

I think it´s not such an old ship, I have been on much older ships what have been in a very good condition, and satisfying for the passengers, but of course it means to invest alot and give it a good renovation and not one in which "almost nothing is changed". Those ships should at least last 35 years or so, I think before they are so that not can be used anymore.

Yeah i go to france with IF and nothing bad can come of brittany ferries starting another irish route. If they do then hooray bf comein with quality ships which is great AND irish ferries will be forced to raise their game and finally replace the normandy. About p&o pulling out do you mean of dublin or rosslare?

Pride of Bilbao will undoubtedly replace of Normandy since 2007.

Pride of Bilbao will undoubtedly replace of Normandy since 2007.

Where did that scenario come from or is it a wild assumption?

Or has somebody heard that Pride of Bilbao is to be replaced?

i think the charter to p&o ends then, IF could then get her back etc etc

Edit by Phil - Karl had referred to IF as if, making it look like just a word, when he meant Irish Ferries

Just because the P&O Ferries charter ends in 2007 doesn't mean Pride of Bilbao couldn't be released to Irish Ferrier until that time...(make of that what you will).

i know that, that was just trying to unscramble yann's message (de-babel it)

Karl, that's the forum's owner job to tidy understanding problems, could have done that many times, as french, I have the original version, but will never.

I was trying to give a very obvious hint there, but I might as well keep them to myself next time!!

No, don´t keep them for yourself, as the other message was not very easy to understand, was of course right to give the summary of that. Also, even charter ends, right we have to see what happens then and we won´t be able to say anything.

But it´s also quite poor that we do need the moderators to make clear some very "messed up" messages from some members here. I think everyone who is posting something should take responsibility of this, and make sure that it´s understandable for all who are going to read it.

I suppose they have to replace the old girl with something soon as she can't really compete against the mighty Pont Aven can she! I know that some P&O managers are seething! haha Is there any suitable tonnage available to replace Billy?

not that i know of but.......if the le havre route is not doing so well, they could put either POP or POLH through a refit , upgrade her to 2200 pax like the val and then simply use her.

POP and POLH are just as old as the billy and just as slow....still no match for the mighty Pont

POP and POL are not as old as Pride of Bilbao, for your information.

They will not used for any other P&O operation either. If / when the Le Havre service closes they have been essentially "reserved" for another operator.

Sorry... so that means new build for Bilbao then or another charter? Is there any appropriate tonnage around to compete against the Pont?

Sorry... so that means new build for Bilbao then or another charter? Is there any appropriate tonnage around to compete against the Pont?

Depends if your competing with her speed or her comfort.