Eriba-ist

Cap Finistere & Santander

We make two return journeys Portsmouth-Bilbao per year on CF.  Can’t say it is something I’ve noticed before but I see lately that she is also carrying out Portsmouth-Santander trips. Is this something she has been doing for sometime or is it a new route to ease the PA problem?

Ten years of Pont Aven to Santander I've decided to try the Cap Finistere out and back to Bilbao in a coupe of weeks.   Any tips, advice most welcome, dinning, best time to arrive at Portsmouth (from Guildford).   I notice that the new BF website does not show onboard menus anymore. 

We switched from PA to CF a few years ago when a change of travel plans meant Bilbao became more convenient.  Foodwise, the Cap's breakfast (in the deck 7 restaurant) pales in comparison with the PA's buffet. Nowadays we tend to either head to the open-air cafeteria on deck 10 (albeit very much dependant on the weather) or buy rolls (round ones!) etc from the mini-market.

Comfort-wise we try to avoid the cabins near the bow as (a) we are poor sailors and (b) she pitches a lot more than the PA (well, seems that way to us!)

We have car + caravan and thus so far have avoided being parked on the open deck area above the stern and therefore have been spared the job of washing off all the salt!

Certainly if was purely a choice between PA & CF regardless of destination, we would definitely opt for the PA.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, merc said:

Ten years of Pont Aven to Santander I've decided to try the Cap Finistere out and back to Bilbao in a coupe of weeks.   Any tips, advice most welcome, dinning, best time to arrive at Portsmouth (from Guildford).   I notice that the new BF website does not show onboard menus anymore. 

I've taken a look and can't find any menus on the UK, French, Irish or Spanish sites. They've all been removed from the right-hand margin under the downloadable ship guides. I wonder why? They were only sample menus so perhaps it's because they were not relevant to the actual offer. Ed. 

14 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I've taken a look and can't find any menus on the UK, French, Irish or Spanish sites. They've all been removed from the right-hand margin under the downloadable ship guides. I wonder why? They were only sample menus so perhaps it's because they were not relevant to the actual offer. Ed. 

Sample menus are still on the Irish site for PA but are dated March 2018

https://www.brittanyferries.ie/media/pdf/9/r/Buffet_2_-_Mars_2018_en_Livre.pdf

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Thanks. I missed that. I did find a CF menu online dating, I think, from 2002! Ed. 

From MSM a couple of weeks ago.

4F5EF3DF-B9EE-4DED-A9EB-A6C3AFDEC856.jpeg

BF75F055-5157-4155-AD9F-59364536EBFB.jpeg

5 hours ago, Eriba-ist said:

We switched from PA to CF a few years ago when a change of travel plans meant Bilbao became more convenient.  Foodwise, the Cap's breakfast (in the deck 7 restaurant) pales in comparison with the PA's buffet. Nowadays we tend to either head to the open-air cafeteria on deck 10 (albeit very much dependant on the weather) or buy rolls (round ones!) etc from the mini-market.

Comfort-wise we try to avoid the cabins near the bow as (a) we are poor sailors and (b) she pitches a lot more than the PA (well, seems that way to us!)

We have car + caravan and thus so far have avoided being parked on the open deck area above the stern and therefore have been spared the job of washing off all the salt!

Certainly if was purely a choice between PA & CF regardless of destination, we would definitely opt for the PA.

Thanks for your info. Off in a couple of weeks time, I've booked a two berth deluxe cabin forward on deck 8, hope that's OK, same cabin out and back, coming back in mid October so hope the Biscay is still calm then.  Bit concerned you mention that some cars are stowed on open deck areas.  

6 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Not really sure what use old menus are. It's the ones once you get on board that you will be eating from...

Purely for comparison 

14 minutes ago, merc said:

Bit concerned you mention that some cars are stowed on open deck areas.

I'm not sure it's any worse than leaving your car in the car park next to the swimming pool and marina in St Malo for a couple of days in the middle of winter. Ed. 

I'm not sure it's any worse than leaving your car in the car park next to the swimming pool and marina in St Malo for a couple of days in the middle of winter. Ed.

Just how many people do that Ed?

14 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Just how many people do that Ed?

Well I have done regularly in the past (but not recently since they introduced parking charges) and my car has not rusted away. My point was that one 24-hour crossing is not going to turn your modern guaranteed-for-7-years Hyundai into a heap of scrap iron. And I'm pretty sure there are jet-washes within a few miles of the port at both ends if your are really worried. Ed.