Malc

New Route to Vigo?

On 30/08/2019 at 12:15, MatNeoKar said:

I got to thinking. "Why not a Ferry from one of the Pembrokeshire ports to Vigo?

There is regular ferry service from Ireland to already equipped Welsh ports and adequate road access to all ports.

On that basis, wouldn't an Ireland Vigo route make more sense? That would be from one EU port to another. Ships bringing exports from the Ireland to the UK could return loaded with both UK to Ireland exports and UK to Spain / Portugal people and goods. Ireland would become the land bridge!

Edited by VikingVoyager

On 30/08/2019 at 12:15, MatNeoKar said:

I was in Vigo in June this year and heard talk of a UK-Vigo Direct Ferry service.

The conversation popped up again when visiting Santiago de Compostela and meeting many Brits and Irish visitors. The main complaint however, was the journey to get there as most had travelled by car. 

While driving back to Bilbao for my trip back to Portsmouth and then the horrendous drive to West Wales, I got to thinking. "Why not a Ferry from one of the Pembrokeshire ports to Vigo?

There is regular ferry service from Ireland to already equipped Welsh ports and adequate road access to all ports.

Am I deluded or am I right in thinking that this route would ease carbon emissions, congestion etc. dramatically, both in this country and Green Spain? Plus take the stress out of having to  drive to Southern England ports on already overcrowded highways.

I would point out. After the drive to the ferry-port. It is 660 nm from Portsmouth to Bilbao and 440 miles to Vigo/Santiago d P./Portugal each way, for thousands of vehicles per year.

It is 660 nm from Pembrokeshire ports to Vigo/Santiago d P./Portugal.

Will someone "Please" tell me there is at least, an element logic in my thinking?

Hi - sorry, but I can't see much logic in your thinking. Longer crossings need year round business and that means freight. Whilst Avomnouth has good volume, north west Spain isn't a good location for imports and exports. There's simply not the population in the west to justify it. The South East (where population is densest) to Pembrokeshire v Portsmouth (or Gatwick) doesn't stack up. From almost anywhere in England, getting to West Wales e.g. for a ferry to Ireland is hard to justify - take a look a flights to Dublin and Cork, along with car hire.

More to the point, I've just come back from a holiday in Bilbao and Santiago de C. I have to admit I didn't see many UK cars except for around Bilbao and Santander. Before and after the trip, I was staying in Portsmouth. But at £1200 for a return for 4 people with cabins both ways, I flew BA from Gatwick to Bilbao, hired a car one-way rental and flew back from Santiago, all for less than £1000, in August, with 2 days more in Spain. Much as I like BF and ferry travel, if there's no benefit then I won't do it. 

Although it's unlikely to be the Audacia which operates it given she's been in Chinese waters for the past five years since being sold (she and her sisters were built and owned by a different branch of the Grimaldi family to Grimaldi Lines).

On 08/07/2019 at 11:22, Malc said:

There's talk in Vigo of a new route starting between Vigo and the UK. Has anyone heard anything about this?  Could be a route for e-flexer 'Galicia' or perhaps just a bit of wishful thinking!

Malc

Could this be the one? Plymouth/Cork/Bouzas (Vigo) service starting in November. I don't subscribe to this site so I can't get the full story. https://afondo.farodevigo.es/gran-vigo/grupo-nosa-terra-y-grimaldi-se-alian-para-unir-vigo-a-irlanda-e-inglaterra-con-un-ferri-tres-veces-por-semana.html?fbclid=IwAR0WtLb_EWzRZZKxgQsONGENySxR3adyTUWDjifwEcOEISsUXJ5H5V5T1Ew

5 hours ago, hhvferry said:

Cat meets pigeons:

Grimaldi to open Vigo-Cork-Plymouth route using the Audacia

Audacia and her sisters are pleasant enough, slightly nicer than an out of the box Visentini. But if married to the usual level of Grimaldi service and maintenance standards the operation may underwhelm anyone who tries it having previously used BF.

Doubt it will be the Audacia, bearing in mind it is know owned by a Chinese firm I believe, although Panamese flagged. And it also travels regurlarly between South Korea and China.

Another point of interest is that it rather puts paid to the notion that is the premise behind BF’s operation of quite a few routes - that BF’s mere presence on the route / at the port is sufficient to deter another operator from coming in.

No, not even my multi dimensional imagination can see this one... as mentioned the ship is Chinese owned and has a busy schedule. She's also too long for the linkspan. I'd find it more plausible if it was a Spanish carrier as seeing Grimaldi's name up there is akin to BF announcing they're planning a route from Genoa-Malta-Tunisia and back... Mind you as GNV are being linked with Rosyth maybe it's not so far fetched.

23 minutes ago, jonno said:

No, not even my multi dimensional imagination can see this one... as mentioned the ship is Chinese owned and has a busy schedule. She's also too long for the linkspan. I'd find it more plausible if it was a Spanish carrier as seeing Grimaldi's name up there is akin to BF announcing they're planning a route from Genoa-Malta-Tunisia and back... Mind you as GNV are being linked with Rosyth maybe it's not so far fetched.

Ahh the Rosyth route that’s already being delayed before it’s even started.

I wouldn't say 'Audacia' (Rizhao Orient) has a busy schedule, she only does one rotation per week operating between Pyeongtaek and Rizhao. She has been in Rizhao since Thursday and hasn't moved since.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

27 minutes ago, jonno said:

How long?

Purely a coincidence that there are no Ireland to Spain sailings on the BF Irish website after November 4th, either on the timetable or to book?  Cork - Santander on the 4th of November is currently the final trip!  Surely they couldn't be pulling the plug after stating pretty recently that they are extending the trial of the route by 6 months and bringing in AF MICHELA (which I've been told is a step down for passengers from the current ship)?!

42 minutes ago, jonno said:

Important to note the link (from the same source that previously said it was stena) was that GNV would charter tonnage to the would be operator, not actually operate the service themselves.  In any case, that is turning into a bit of a saga!  Seems the would be operator forgot to take account of the fact that one of the ports doesn't have any passenger facilities when they came up with the timeline for launching a passenger service!  

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/traffic-and-travel/scotland-to-netherlands-ferries-delayed-until-april-2020-reports-say-1-5002633

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

Purely a coincidence that there are no Ireland to Spain sailings on the BF Irish website after November 4th, either on the timetable or to book? 

'Connemara' is moving to Poole/Cherbourg at the end of November, not sure what's happening between the 4th November and the end of November, annual maintenance possibly.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

4 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Connemara' is moving to Poole/Cherbourg at the end of November, not sure what's happening between the 4th November and the end of November, annual maintenance possibly.

Well aware of that.  BF aren't taking any bookings for the route next year either though (or this year post November 4th), despite the Irish website saying 2020 bookings are being taken to France and Spain on the front page.  KERRY doesn't seem to be appearing anywhere either.  Odd not to be taking bookings less than 2 months ahead!

Grimaldi's cargo operations already have presences in Cork and Vigo so there are personnel there who can be used as a starting point.

Wishful thinking but maybe, thinking from a quality perspective, management of the passenger operation could be given to Finnlines rather than Grimaldi Lines in Naples as the different branches of the group have rather different approaches.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hhvferry said:

Grimaldi's cargo operations already have presences in Cork and Vigo so there are personnel there who can be used as a starting point.

Wishful thinking but maybe, thinking from a quality perspective, management of the passenger operation could be given to Finnlines rather than Grimaldi Lines in Naples as the different branches of the group have rather different approaches.

I'm also thinking Grimaldi are probably in a good position to secure ongoing year round revenue for such a route.  Irish exports to Spain are relatively low (Spain isn't even in the top 5 import and export destinations for Ireland) so a link to the UK as well might make sense (thinking of how LD did things when they were running).

5 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

Well aware of that.  BF aren't taking any bookings for the route next year either though (or this year post November 4th), despite the Irish website saying 2020 bookings are being taken to France and Spain on the front page.  KERRY doesn't seem to be appearing anywhere either.  Odd not to be taking bookings less than 2 months ahead!

Maybe wait until the timetable is updated mid-October.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Maybe wait until the timetable is updated mid-October.

So Brittany Ferries are going to give people about 2 weeks notice to book a route they are saying is already on sale?  I'm no expert but that doesn't sound like a good way of doing business on a route that is supposedly year round!   How would people feel if they could only book crossings to Caen during November and December from mid-October?

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 21.14.49.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 21.15.15.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1