Malc

New Route to Vigo?

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Update on the new route from Cork and Plymouth to Bouzas (Vigo); It does look like one of the vessels used will be the 'Rizhao Orient' (former 'Audacia').

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/new-cork-spain-ferry-could-17013263?fbclid=IwAR3BM4Y3LPQek98CN21RYsQZaSXoccLbCW9HT5zmuO0nOkGMPJ40y5_8JzA

That report doesn't look particularly accurate and seems to have been cobbled together from internet sources. Certainly it's unlikely Grimaldi and GNV will be involved in a joint venture.

Here's one of the original Spanish reports -

https://www.atlantico.net/articulo/vigo/vigo-competira-santander-bilbao-ferry-plymouth/20191001051013732276.html

6 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

Certainly it's unlikely Grimaldi and GNV will be involved in a joint venture.

Here's one of the original Spanish reports -

https://www.atlantico.net/articulo/vigo/vigo-competira-santander-bilbao-ferry-plymouth/20191001051013732276.html

I won't look that report as it crashed my PC last time. The original report on September 15th mentions Grimaldi and Grupo Nosa Terra.

Spanish report is quite confusing; sailing 3 times a week for a 24-48 hrs crossing VIgo- Cork – Plymouth.

It’s said 200 trucks capacity vessel but 100 trucks per week…3 sailing says 30 trucks per call.

Doesn’t look any sense.

Has much as people living and travelling to the west ie Portugal and western  Spain wanting this route.i cannot say any sense in this route at all,you have just to have a look at the forecasts for vehicles using this route and it tells you it is a non starter.

It's hard to know.  I agree with nodwad that the vehicle forecasts suggest that Vigo-Cork-Plymouth is a non runner.  And how could there be enough business to support two Cork-Spain routes?  Thing is though, customer preference is changing rapidly.  Fears of climate change, and flight shaming, are moving some folk back towards land based travel.  So ferries could be in for a big upturn in utilisation.  

None of the Coraggio class ships will fit Cork, it's a non starter.

Suardaiz is based at Tangier, Vigo and St Nazaire and are actively looking at extending their Motorway of the Seas route to Dublin & Grimaldi have visited Vigo as they are looking at using their new RoRo's due to stricter emission standards. This could be where the rumours are starting.

However, in February Incargo Galicia SL contacted various shipping companies to discuss the possibilities of relaunching  a UK link with either Vigo or Gijon. The project is being heavily supported by Spain's institute of foreign trade, namely their regional head, Sergio Prieto, who is of the opinion that both Bilbao & Santander may well become overwhelmed in the coming years due to predicted increases in both freight and passenger traffic.

Vigo are also expanding their customs port of Bouzaz to serve larger vessels as PSA are threatening to pull out... this is what José Enrique Escolar said: "PSA are pulling production so there must be an answer".

Dear all

Belatedly, here's the Google Translate version of the report in Vigo Atlantico referenced by TonyMWeaver. Sorry for the delay, distracted and diverted by work stuff. [Tony commented that the site crashed his PC, but I've consulted it several times using Opera or Chrome on Mac without any probs].

As friends have noted, much confusion and little clarity so far.

"Our idea is to compete with prices and duration of the trip with Santander and Bilbao and also with the plane to London on trips to the United Kingdom from Vigo," said Javier Castro, advisor of Incargo yesterday, the company that manages the Atlantic Terminal Vigo and which also takes the ferry project from Bouzas to Plymouth, in the southwest of England, with an earlier stop in Cork, in Ireland. A ship that would be both for goods and for transporting trucks and also for passengers who want to travel to Britain with their own car.

The project was presented yesterday by Incargo to Mayor Abel Caballero, who gave full support to the launch of the maritime line. "It is a very solid project, an idea that I already defended in 2006 when I was president of the Port," said the mayor, who offered the support of the City Council. Javier Castro explained at the end of the meeting that they have been working on the subject for a year, which generates great expectations in the transport sector. Thus, the ship that will make the itinerary will be about 200 meters long and will reach 24 knots of speed. It is estimated to make the journey between 24 and 28 hours. From Santander and Bilbao it takes about 20 hours. It will transport trucks, for 800 euros, and passengers, with a cost of 350 euros for two people with a tour, in both cases round-trip tickets. On the other hand, aspects such as the frequency of trips are still undefined, although there are three departures a week from Vigo. If it goes well it would expand. "It is designed for the tourist offer in Galicia, but also for the British community in northern Portugal," Caballero said.

"We have a lot of work left and we still can't say which days will be the departures or the schedules or the fixed time that the cruise will take because we have to see the characteristics of the ship, although we contemplate combining trucks, tourism and passengers, with about 200 trucks and 150 passengers. We are still working on the characteristics of the ship that is less suited to the line, "said Javier Castro. In any case, it would be a Grimaldi ship of about 200 meters. "The Grimaldi shipping company is committed to Vigo and this project. Being optimistic it could be at the end of the year but I think rather at the beginning of 2020," Castro said. "The trip would be like a small one-day cruise," he says. The adviser of Incargo is convinced that this time the project will go to a good end. "We have been working for a year and every week we have received calls from companies even from carriers waiting for it to consolidate to increase its fleet of trucks. Transport and industry is saved leaving Vigo mileage to Santander or Bilbao, the driver and fuel" , indicates. The success of the ferry realizes that they are already considering using two ships, "because we are seeing requests and maybe it does not reach us". According to his calculations, 100 trucks can leave the province per week to Ireland and England. "Cargo is the important thing, and tourism will help." On the service, it indicates that the ideal thing would be to leave in the morning from Bouzas, "because from Trasatlánticos it is not viable"

HTH

Well... the Condor question has been answered... so moving on, the next big question mark hanging in the air for me lately is this.... It seems to have gone suspiciously quiet, bearing in mind initial reports stated a NOVEMBER commencement of the service! Has anyone any further info?

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Well... the Condor question has been answered... so moving on, the next big question mark hanging in the air for me lately is this.... It seems to have gone suspiciously quiet, bearing in mind initial reports stated a NOVEMBER commencement of the service! Has anyone any further info?

November was the plan but February is the latest I've heard.

58 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

November was the plan but February is the latest I've heard.

Cheers Tony!
Is there any actual basis behind that? I can't help thinking what an huge logistical challenge it would be to introduce another operator to Plymouth. 
The check-in kiosks for one.... do they split them in two? Two sets of IT equipment, new / additional logos, signs? Whereabouts in the Terminal would the operator be based? Surely Plymouth would see some signs (literally), of change soon if this was realistically going to happen?

Google Translate:

" Incorporated the Atlantic Ferries company for the transport of goods and tickets to the ports of Cork and Plymouth
The ferry between Vigo and the Irish port of Cork of merchandise and passage - with a link to Plymoutrh, in the United Kingdom - could be launched for Holy Week after the approval reached yesterday by the British delegation on the British island and the recent constitution of a company that will operate the line, Atlantic Ferries. The commercial mission in Cork was headed by the Port Authority (APV), with support from the Xunta, and Atlantic Ferries, formed by the Remolcanosa, Grimaldi, Incargo and Ballearic companies, which led the initiative. The ferry will be used to bring goods and fish to Vigo and also passenger and cars. And vice versa, the Irish are interested in bringing slate and granite from Galicia for housing construction.
The delegation met with the president and the director of the Port of Cork, who made a visit for its facilities, extensive and with a lot of useful surface, including an inspection of the ramp that the ferry will use at the time it begins its services.
In the afternoon another technical meeting was held, where the APV explained what the Vigo port means in connectivity, where the large number of ocean lines that are from the Vigo terminal awakened interest. "They are worried about Brexit, because Britain becomes extra-community territory, so they want to have the greatest number of links with the EU," said APV President Enrique López Veiga after the meeting. "We explain that the port not only serves Vigo but also Portugal and the Plateau, 12 million potential users. In Ireland they are interested and will analyze the information we have and visit Vigo to continue contacts," he added. For its part, the Atlantic Ferries company explained its technical project, with the planned traffic and customers. "They liked it, they saw that the proposal is reasonable, with potential customers for a profitable line. The impression we have is that it will go forward in the first half of 2020, almost certainly. He recalled that he will have to spend some time after hiring the ship , set it up and do paperwork "so the logical thing is that there would be luck for Holy Week." The Xunta was also present through the director of Tourism, Nava Castro, who went to the city hall of Cork with a promotion programs in Ireland As an anecdote, López Veiga brought Celtic gift shirts to Cork, "and they loved it, they follow the Spanish league."

This would be interesting if indeed the route becomes a reality and I suppose could also be the motivation behind BF beginning their Cork-Santander route.

I can also understand why Galicia would like to exploit their relationship with Grimaldi, they sail passed Vigo from Cork heading to Africa & the Med. I'm also interested to know why a Portuguese based company, Atlantic Ferries, are involved too.

16 hours ago, Gearoid said:

Interesting one this, and definitly a route I would be interested in travelling. The question remains over what vessel would be used, because the former Audacia was mentioned but this is still regurlarly operating between China and Korea. Definitly one to keep an eye on over the coming days and weeks. 

1 hour ago, MichaelBF said:

Interesting one this, and definitly a route I would be interested in travelling. The question remains over what vessel would be used, because the former Audacia was mentioned but this is still regurlarly operating between China and Korea. Definitly one to keep an eye on over the coming days and weeks. 

Thing is though what advantage does it have for passengers sailing from Plymouth or Cork and what advantage does it have for accompanied freight heading from Africa and the Balearics?

For me it doesn't, currently the HGV's head straight up north on a direct road route, Vigo would just add miles and more importantly money. Santander is no further from Algeciras and the drive from Barcelona takes twice as long to Vigo as it does to either Santander or Zierbena, same can be said for Valencia too.

Holiday travellers would be spending a further 6-7 hours on a ferry paying a fare which reflects this which I have a feeling will be far greater than the cost driving from Santander... which takes less time as well.

If Atlantic Ferries are involved why not begin a RoPax service from either Porto or Lisbon and leave Vigo to enhance their unaccompanied freight offer to Ireland using a company which already has a strong presence at the port?

• Like 1

Still very unclear how Plymouth  will cope with the changes.

There are currently portable toilets and a mobile canteen, seemingly ready to open in the new car park at Plymouth. 

Could this be in preparation for works?

35 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

There are currently portable toilets and a mobile canteen, seemingly ready to open in the new car park at Plymouth. 

63A19738-024D-4596-8795-8159D692800B.thumb.jpeg.aad1dc4e72cc171d7d45988663dfdea1.jpeg

I’m sure they will handle it in the professional manner we have all become accustomed to.

• Haha 2

IF it happens there will only be one return visit per week as you're looking at 36 hours to Plymouth, maybe 2 hours in Millbay then another 10-12 hours to Ringaskiddy. Maybe a total of 50/53 hours each way?

So BF are just going to roll over and say "Use our facilities!?"  I imagine the port authority would allow the lanes etc, but the check in booths area & information is very BF specific...?

45 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

So BF are just going to roll over and say "Use our facilities!?"  I imagine the port authority would allow the lanes etc, but the check in booths area & information is very BF specific...?

Unless BF actually own and pay for the upkeep of those facilities or have an exclusive contract to use them then they won't have much choice. Ed. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

When we left Plymouth in September we discovered the mobile canteen as we queued in the car park. We were ravenous so left the car just long enough to get food and it was well worth it. Very good quality sandwiches and coffee kept us going until we boarded and got into la Flora.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jonno said:

IF it happens there will only be one return visit per week as you're looking at 36 hours to Plymouth, maybe 2 hours in Millbay then another 10-12 hours to Ringaskiddy. Maybe a total of 50/53 hours each way?

If it does start up with those timings Jonno - BF can start a brilliant campaign again... "Spain in half the time", which would technically be true, if PA put her foot down and did it at the same speed as she used to:) 

Just can't see it working with those times but being able to go from Plymouth to Cork might be interesting, would you be able to do the return or would every sailing go Cork to Vigo, Plymouth?