20 hours ago, Solo said:

Just can't see it working with those times but being able to go from Plymouth to Cork might be interesting, would you be able to do the return or would every sailing go Cork to Vigo, Plymouth?

I agree Plymouth to Cork would be interesting, but is there any commercial sense in any of this? None of it really adds up. The crossing time is quoted as 24 to 28 hours, with three departures a week from Vigo. Allowing for, say, two hours at each port, there is only just over 25 hours for a crossing and that assumes at least one arrival/departure in the middle of the night. So, realistically, 24 hours is the max. Secondly, BF already runs two direct crossings a week to Santander; is there really a further three crossings worth of traffic from Eire to Spain? If so wouldn't BF be looking to build on their Cork route?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So Brittany Ferries are going to give people about 2 weeks notice to book a route they are saying is already on sale?  I'm no expert but that doesn't sound like a good way of doing business on a route

Maybe wait until the timetable is updated mid-October.

Well, given that BF pulled out due to poor traffic levels, and that a good proportion of the traffic that there was will follow them to Rosslare, I’d say the chances of a second route from Ireland to

Posted Images

2 hours ago, PeterR said:

I agree Plymouth to Cork would be interesting, but is there any commercial sense in any of this? None of it really adds up. The crossing time is quoted as 24 to 28 hours, with three departures a week from Vigo. Allowing for, say, two hours at each port, there is only just over 25 hours for a crossing and that assumes at least one arrival/departure in the middle of the night. So, realistically, 24 hours is the max. Secondly, BF already runs two direct crossings a week to Santander; is there really a further three crossings worth of traffic from Eire to Spain? If so wouldn't BF be looking to build on their Cork route?

Does there have to be any commercial sense in it if there are EU or Government grants to set it up?  If set up is backed by grants they can test the water before jumping in, as you say if there was that much potential BF would up their sailings.

• 1 month later...
On 19/12/2019 at 12:25, Solo said:

Does there have to be any commercial sense in it if there are EU or Government grants to set it up?  If set up is backed by grants they can test the water before jumping in, as you say if there was that much potential BF would up their sailings.

Interesting to see how this route develops. The Brittany ferries Cork to Santander route is cancelled from the end of february. The new route will be  Rosslare to Bilboa!! .That's the Southern Ireland Link gone!! Big blow to the Cork Economy.

Well, given that BF pulled out due to poor traffic levels, and that a good proportion of the traffic that there was will follow them to Rosslare, I’d say the chances of a second route from Ireland to Spain being viable would be vanishingly small.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

For it to happen they are missing three critical components. An operator, a ship, and a port agreement!  Grimaldi and GNV (the two operators linked) have both publicly stated they know nothing about this project.  It appears this is just the Vigo port management company trying to drum up some business and some over enthusiastic reporters.  If Brittany Ferries, a well established operator, can't even half fill a ship what hope does an upstart have?

The GB to IE component is interesting though - I know LD were looking to expand their Rosslare to GB service to three weekly but couldn't secure the tonnage.  The demand was there though, such is the value of sailing into ports with other services!

1 hour ago, des said:

Again, what ship will manage "a three times a week year round service" which will also stop at Plymouth. All in it's around 900 nautical miles each way. The Visentini's take 32.5 hours from Cork to Santander and that's around 650 nautical miles and from Plymouth it's doubtful they'll be able to take the shortcut inside Ushant.

The only vessel I can think of which will be available is Stena Nova, her hawseholes are at 178m and at 195m overall should squeeze in to Ringaskiddy but... BF have relocated as the freight companies see Rosslare as the more viable option in the future, does anyone really think they want to look forward to a drive another 5 hours to the west in Spain? 

If it's new vehicle movements they're looking at, Neptune have started what is a growing route again into Rosslare.

My guess is that it's all just political manoeuvring, a face saving exercise so they can ultimately go back to the locals and say "well, we tried".  

Edited by jonno
1 minute ago, jonno said:

Again, what ship will manage "a three times a week year round service" which will also stop at Plymouth. All in it's around 900 nautical miles each way. The Visentini's take 32.5 hours from Cork to Santander and that's around 650 nautical miles.

The only vessel I can think of which will be available is Stena Nova, her hawseholes are at 178m and at 195m overall should squeeze in to Ringaskiddy but... BF have relocated as the freight companies see Rosslare as the more viable option in the future, does anyone really think they want to look forward to a drive another 5 hours to the west in Spain? 

If it's new vehicle movements they're looking at, Neptune have started what is a growing route again into Rosslare.

My guess is that it's all just political manoeuvring, a face saving exercise so they can ultimately go back to the locals and say "well, we tried".  

Jonno is not a fan of this idea:)
Strange that is keeps popping up though. I spoke to someone in Plymouth port who had heard about it, but said that it wasn't going ahead 'any more'.
Not sure if anyone really knows!

Just now, hf_uk said:

Jonno is not a fan of this idea:)
Strange that is keeps popping up though. I spoke to someone in Plymouth port who had heard about it, but said that it wasn't going ahead 'any more'.
Not sure if anyone really knows!

I'm more than happy to see another service sailing anywhere plus I've highlighted the availability of a vessel capable of fitting all ports, the thing is it's mostly fiction what they're proposing. What ship even capable of 30kts of a maximum length of 200m can cover that distance three times a week, is there such a ship and more's the point is it available?

12 minutes ago, jonno said:

I'm more than happy to see another service sailing anywhere plus I've highlighted the availability of a vessel capable of fitting all ports, the thing is it's mostly fiction what they're proposing. What ship even capable of 30kts of a maximum length of 200m can cover that distance three times a week, is there such a ship and more's the point is it available?

I agree it would be a slow trudge.... But POB was 36.5h to Bilbao as standard wasn't she, before BF stepped things up...

33 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

I agree it would be a slow trudge.... But POB was 36.5h to Bilbao as standard wasn't she, before BF stepped things up...

If you take Stena Nova as the example, a max speed of 23 knots, she'll take 41 hours one way at top speed in fair weather including speed restrictions on approach to and an hours turnaround at Millbay. Add the return... 44 hours with the Vigo turnaround that's 85 hours... there's is only 168 hours in a week.

Three trips from Cork to Vigo a week is fine if you leave out Plymouth.

11 minutes ago, jonno said:

Three trips from Cork to Vigo a week is fine if you leave out Plymouth.

I find it very difficult to conceive how that could happen Jonno - unless you have at least one middle-of-the-night arrival and departure.  Probably two.  That would be fine for a freight-only route, but not for a passenger-carrying one.

15 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I find it very difficult to conceive how that could happen Jonno - unless you have at least one middle-of-the-night arrival and departure.  Probably two.  That would be fine for a freight-only route, but not for a passenger-carrying one.

You're right Gareth, my interpretation was solely based on the travelling time without considering the needs of those aboard or berth availability at the ports which I assume would play against a perceived three trip per week operation even more.

I'd also give it a little more credence if the route included a stop at Roscoff rather than Plymouth... It is being touted as the "Brexit Buster" afterall.

Mind you if this falls apart there's always St Nazaire for them to flirt with and another ten hour stop over.

• Like 1