Hampshire

Stena Europe - refit

On 31/12/2019 at 11:13, hhvferry said:

The Stena Europe has been made good for another decade at a very low capital cost. For a route which makes no money the options were transfer another fully paid down ship which in turn would need replacing or spend a relatively small amount to keep her going. Or close the route, which is unpalatable.

She is in pretty good condition superficially and the hull will last forever so it's just a question of making sure she keeps going mechanically. 

Interesting how the fortunes of the Fishguard route have declined so much since the 90s. Then the route had Felicity, arguably the best ever Irish ferry. Wonder how well the Pembroke route is doing in comparison and whether that route is profitable or not. The Irish Ferries route certainty has the better more modern ship.

One of my crew who travels on the Pembroke route every two weeks said that best ship for sea keeping, comfort etc was the OW, the Inishmore is a good sea boat. He used to work on IF and said that is a lot of people’s view, crew and passengers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neilcvx said:

Would love to see a video like that about Bretagne.

After her life-extending makeover you mean?! 😉

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gareth said:

After her life-extending makeover you mean?! 😉

They better get it done before September 😉

34 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

Are those retractable barriers on the vehicle decks used on all ro-ros?

No, they are found on older vessels as a SOLAS stability modification. They divide up the main vehicle deck in to smaller areas to reduce free surface effect if there is water on deck.

Pride of Bruges/York and Princess Seaways have a variation of them. King Seaways has internal sponsons instead to comply with the rules.

41 minutes ago, Timmy said:

No, they are found on older vessels as a SOLAS stability modification. They divide up the main vehicle deck in to smaller areas to reduce free surface effect if there is water on deck.

Pride of Bruges/York and Princess Seaways have a variation of them. King Seaways has internal sponsons instead to comply with the rules.

Thanks. I kind of got what they were there for but have never seen them in action. I'll have a look at POB / POY in the summer

1 hour ago, Ryan_H said:

Which do people consider the better ship on the southern corridor - Stena Europe or Isle of Inishmore? 

I would have thought Inishmore by a wide margin.

6 hours ago, Nick Hyde said:

Europe is a better passenger ship in my view although the Inishmore is fine enough and obviously better suited to carry freight, although there aren't vast volumes down there now.

But because the Europe was built as one of the world's most lavish short sea cruise ferries I think you still get a good feel for it despite the original outfitting disappearing under many Stena refits. This is especially the case in what was her showlounge which was the first of its type and the model for that on Carnival's first purpose builds.

Outside the main areas the Europe could look a bit ropey but hopefully that's been addressed in Turkey.

The Inishmore is fine and I'm sure many prefer her but the Irish Ferries look of the 90s isn't one I'm a great fan of and I don't have much time for most of the bog standard Van der Giessens which tended to be economy purchases. It makes you realise how much extra expense BF had to spend to get the Mont St Michel out of the same basic hull form.

• Like 2

IF do cancel more often in bad weather than Stena on this southern route. Also Stena crew with local Irish personnel (we know some of the catering staff). During winter months certain areas of Inishmore are closed which can make it a bit cramped on busy times like Christmas.

What about the Inishsmore's sky lounge and general high standard onboard fit? Doesn't this make her a superior ship? I'm not sure about how Europe's former show lounge looks now. It seems to be a pretty ulitirian space and nothing like as impressive as it once was.

The Inishmore has just missed two days sailings due to the weather, the Europe kept going. There are S’ly 9’s forecast in the next 12 hours see I expect she’ll stop again. The Inishmore never seems to be able to catch up her schedule when the weather has slowed her down and after a day or two she will miss a sailing to get back on time.  

it has been windy here in the Haven the last few days and expect it’ll be bad from the early hours of the morning.

8 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

IF do cancel more often in bad weather than Stena on this southern route.

This is due to the approaches into Milford passing St Annes Head & Thorne Island plus it's very tight between the two outriggers of South Hook LNG & the six berth outrigger at Valero.

I.F have the advantage that the Dock is easier to get to by road than Fishguard, more so now due to the bypass built from Llandowror & Red Roses in 2014. Freight wise Inishmore is the more favoured and practical vessel but personally I prefer Europe as a passenger.

Stena Europe's sister was popular when sailing from both Harwich & Southampton as Sealink's St Nicolas & Stena Normandy. She was also popular for I.F until being replaced by Oscar Wilde.

11 minutes ago, captjack said:

The Inishmore has just missed two days sailings due to the weather, the Europe kept going. There are S’ly 9’s forecast in the next 12 hours see I expect she’ll stop again. The Inishmore never seems to be able to catch up her schedule when the weather has slowed her down and after a day or two she will miss a sailing to get back on time.  

it has been windy here in the Haven the last few days and expect it’ll be bad from the early hours of the morning.

Has the bridge been shut at all, I used to hate having to drive all the way around from Hook through Carew to get to the powerstation.?

3 hours ago, Nick Hyde said:

What about the Inishsmore's sky lounge and general high standard onboard fit? Doesn't this make her a superior ship? I'm not sure about how Europe's former show lounge looks now. It seems to be a pretty ulitirian space and nothing like as impressive as it once was.

The sky lounge is ok but the Stena lounge aboard Europe is also very comfy plus it's closer on the onboard shops etc. The sky lounge is a bit like the deck 10 quiet area on board BDS being a bit of a walk to other facilities.

7 minutes ago, jonno said:

Has the bridge been shut at all, I used to hate having to drive all the way around from Hook through Carew to get to the powerstation.?

No, bridge has been open, at least when I’ve been alongside at Carr Jetty, but a lot of the time been down at South Hook on a buoy.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2020 at 13:10, Nick Hyde said:

Stena Europe all the way for me. Made the point of using both of them on my last round trip to Ireland for work. Atmosphere on Stena Europe is better. Isle of Inishmore is not in a good state and in urgent need of TLC. The best description of the car deck floor plates would be "crusty" never seen such a poor state on a UK ferry, not even on Dover-Calais... Food on Stena Europe Stena + lounge is much better than IF. In my opinion, IF is an inferior product when compared to both BF and Stena. Next april I will be travelling Cherbourg-Dublin on WB Yeats (by necessicity) and back Cork-Roscoff on PA (by choice).