Sign in to follow this  
Pjh75

Early arrival at Portsmouth

We are catching the overnight ferry to st Malo, and wondered if we are allowed to arrive at Portsmouth early and park up in the check in lanes. Leave the car and caravan and then come back before check in opens ? Has anyone done this before 

I've certainly seen cars and caravans parked on the far side of the pre-checkin area, up against the fence. I guess it all depends where you plan on going and how long you want to leave the car for. Why not give the port a ring on +442392297391 to ask them if it's acceptable or ask BF via Twitter. Ed. 

• Thanks 1

I have parked against the fence for several hours after having arrived early with no problem. It was, however, in an A40 Farina which isn't very big.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yes done this many times just park on left hand side beside the fence,not in the ferry lanes.you will have. No. Problems at all.have a good trip

5 hours ago, nodwad said:

Yes done this many times just park on left hand side beside the fence,not in the ferry lanes.you will have. No. Problems at all.have a good trip

Do you mean along the bottom left of the photoC526C9B9-FB26-4CE3-BC6B-9162E6764ED4.thumb.jpeg.406ab3fda5247a656108da423eff9f26.jpeg

A great photo for showing the original confguration of PIP.  The original berth 2 can be clearly seen.

8 hours ago, Gareth said:

A great photo for showing the original confguration of PIP.  The original berth 2 can be clearly seen.

I don't think the photo is that old, though. The building is the new terminal and the port layout visible is, as far as I'm aware, what is there today. Ed. 

Doesn’t matter how old it is Ed, you could see it in a photo taken today.  The darker grey surface is the original ferry port, built in the mid 70s, and the lighter (larger) area is what was added in the 80s when the original berth 2 was filled in and the new berths 2, 3 and 4 were created.

Do you not think that they might have replaced the asphalt in certain other areas at different times in the course of ongoing maintenance? Ed. 

No idea.  But what I do know is that you can clearly see the original port configuration.  The dark grey shows it.  The original berth 2 was parallel to the original (and still current) berth 1, on the northern side of the original jetty (dark grey).  You can see where the linkspan was.  Whether or not the surface has been replaced, what is dark is the original port (which just consisted of the single jetty) and what is lighter is the later in-fill.

Somewhere in my photo archives I have a picture of Goelo bow-in on that original berth 2, taken in 1980.

• Thanks 2

Rather than arriving early at the port why not go to Port Solent and wait there in the huge car park ? Plenty of restaurants to have a meal or a lovely tea shop for afternoon tea, an interesting walk round the marina or out onto the huge adjacent common with views over the estuary to Portchester Castle. There is even a big cinema and several shops. 

it’s about 10 minutes easy drive to the ferry terminal. 

Edited by Cassie
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cassie said:

Rather than arriving early at the port why not go to Port Solent and wait there in the huge car park ? Plenty of restaurants to have a meal or a lovely tea shop for afternoon tea, an interesting walk round the marina or out onto the huge adjacent common with views over the estuary to Portchester Castle. There is even a big cinema and several shops. 

it’s about 10 minutes easy drive to the ferry terminal. 

That's exactly what we do!

Another for Port Solent.  We sometimes stop there overnight as well.  It's ok to find a space in a motorhome but if you're towing a caravan then you need two spaces, a bit trickier as there are obstacles such as trees in the way.  If you drive up towards the MOD compound it's possible to park up there and I've seem people do it if the car parks are full.

One more for Port Solent. Wetherspoons Fish and Chips and Large Pinot £8.99. But if a clear day why not spend half an hour at the large car park on Portsdown Hill https://goo.gl/maps/9EkYdN5koyytMj6U9 stunning views and  Mick's Snacks! On a nice winter day a walk round Portchester Castle grounds is worthwhile even if the castle is not open. Plenty of parking.

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 1

If anyone is contemplating an overnight at Port Solent ( Boardwalk car parking) then the newish notices state:

Overnight parking for campervans only by prior arrangement with Centre Management on  tel. 023 9221 0606

We have slept there many times over the years and always had a good night and felt safe. We have phoned management and always been assured we are welcome.

I sincerely hope that someone doesn’t come along and abuse that welcome as it is an excellent pre- and post- ferry stop. 

• Like 1