Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

Brittany Ferries Appoints A Green Leader

Brittany Ferries has hired its first eco-responsibility manager, in a move to centralise the company’s efforts to reduce its environmental footprint. The appointment of Claire Artagnan reinforces a long-standing commitment to sustainable development across all aspects of ferry operations, from building new ships to reducing single use plastics on board.

Claire joined Brittany Ferries in March 2019. She spent six years working on the development of offshore wind farms and on smart building projects prior to joining.

“From the outset, Brittany Ferries has had a profound respect for the environment,” said Christophe Mathieu, CEO Brittany Ferries. “We were founded by the farming community in Brittany and protecting and nurturing the environments in which we operate is part of our DNA.  However, Claire’s key role will be to ensure positive action is coordinated across all parts of business, from the delivery of new ships to tenders for every new contract. It’s a key role and we warmly welcome her to the Brittany Ferries family.”

Progress today

The company has already taken concrete action reduce the environmental impact of its operations today, particularly in terms of single use plastics. Many changes have been driven, for example the replacement of  plastic cups in cabins with a cardboard cups, the replacement of  plastic straws and stirrers on board, and the installation of battery recycling points on ships and in French terminals.

Brittany Ferries’ buyers are also in the process of sourcing bamboo cutlery to replace the limited remaining plastic cutlery used on board,.  Eco-friendly shampoo/soap distributors have been installed in ensuite showers, while studies are taking place to replace soap packaging on the sinks (lavabos) with biodegradable alternatives

Looking forward

In terms of progress, Brittany Ferries has already announced significant steps towards cutting emissions from ships, through the transition to LNG (liquefied natural gas). Three new LNG ships will be delivered within the next four years, in an investment worth more than half a billion Euro. This will deliver an estimated CO2 reduction per passenger on long haul routes by 46%. Better air quality in ports will also follow, with a dramatic reduction in sulphur, nitrogen dioxide and particulate emissions.

Circular economy

The company has a strong track record on what is known as the circular economy. Eighty percent of food served on board originates in France, reducing food miles, the majority coming from Brittany. Dishes served in restaurants, for example, include vegetables supplied by Prince de Bretagne, a farming collective run by the shareholders (and farmers) of Brittany Ferries, including the company chairman Jean-Marc Roué.

Protection of marine mammals

Scientists from ORCA, a charity dedicated to monitoring and protecting marine wildlife, regularly observe marine animals’ behaviour from on board vessels. They organise public awareness campaigns during the summer and are engaged in ground-breaking research projects. This year scientists will start a ship strike study, based on observations from Brittany Ferries ships, documenting whale behaviour as a ship is approaching. The aim is to learn by observation, then make recommendations that could apply to global shipping operators anywhere in the world.

20190715_Claire-Artagnan-21-750x500.jpg

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/brittany-ferries-appoints-a-green-leader/

Edited by TonyMWeaver

I hope she can encourage BF to introduce the provision of 'tap'  water on all vessels instead of forcing passengers to buy plastic bottles. I used the bamboo cutlery  the other day on the Normandie and it was great.

15 minutes ago, DucdeNormandie said:

I hope she can encourage BF to introduce the provision of 'tap'  water on all vessels instead of forcing passengers to buy plastic bottles. I used the bamboo cutlery  the other day on the Normandie and it was great.

I wouldn’t drink tap water on any ferry , cans of water might be a better idea.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Agree with neilcvx, ferries are the only place I won’t have “tap water”. Last time was on Bretagne and it both smelled and tasted of chlorine, yuk.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Nothing wrong with tap water on a ferry. All modern ships constantly produce their own through desalination and then it goes through about three different types of purification, it's never in the pipes and tanks long enough. There's more chance of you catching something from poorly cooked or poorly reheated food or even chilled stuff left too long out of the cold chain not to mention poorly flushed pipes with beer running through them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobtheBunker said:

Agree with neilcvx, ferries are the only place I won’t have “tap water”. Last time was on Bretagne and it both smelled and tasted of chlorine, yuk.

So does most of the tap water in France.

33 minutes ago, jonno said:

So does most of the tap water in France.

Don’t drink the tap water in France either , it’s about taste not germs, I brush my teeth with it but don’t drink it.

Tap water is a difficult subject. I can usually tolerate it OK in first world countries but Mrs B's stomach is a lot more sensitive so she will only drink the bottled variety.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, colin said:

My Ricard at 6pm tastes better with chilled Vitel....

I thought I was the only Scotsman who likes Ricard

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jonno said:

Nothing wrong with tap water on a ferry. All modern ships constantly produce their own through desalination and then it goes through about three different types of purification, it's never in the pipes and tanks long enough. There's more chance of you catching something from poorly cooked or poorly reheated food or even chilled stuff left too long out of the cold chain not to mention poorly flushed pipes with beer running through them.

As someone who has drank tap water on ferries for years, I'm certainly relieved to be reading this! 😂

3 hours ago, jonno said:

Nothing wrong with tap water on a ferry. All modern ships constantly produce their own through desalination and then it goes through about three different types of purification, it's never in the pipes and tanks long enough.

I wouldn't be so sure, I would bet on them taking on fresh water via hose and hydrant every few days. Keep an eye out for light blue hoses sticking out pilot doors or around the bow/stern door.   I'd stick to the bottled stuff!

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

it’s about taste not germs

I can certainly go along with that. You and I are blessed with decent tap water, the filtered stuff stands out a mile. I can't drink the chilled stuff our fridge makes as I can taste the charcoal filter.

It would be relatively easy to make a confined space like a ferry plastic free it all depends on what BF want to sell in the shops, of course being plastic free is only a tiny part of the environmental impact a ferry will have .

Interesting re the water and its taste..We bought our usual brand of coffee at the outset this trip and it tasted awful. Funny, so we tried various other brands, some cheaper some dearer but simply could not recreate anything like the brand we have in the UK or how it normally tastes in France..Fast forward and returned home. Tried the French brands again and voila!!..the taste was back to normal and much better than it had been in France. That said we drank all our water from the tap for nearly 3 weeks without any problems, or so we thought. We even had the Ricard at 6pm with water from the same source (But thanks Colin, we know for next time😁.. 

Funny old world eh 🤣

Edited by Paully

13 hours ago, Timmy said:

I wouldn't be so sure, I would bet on them taking on fresh water via hose and hydrant every few days. Keep an eye out for light blue hoses sticking out pilot doors or around the bow/stern door.

Further to my last it appears Bretagne bunkers fresh water in Portsmouth via the bow door from a hydrant on the linkspan.

Bretagne also takes on much of its alcohol and all its draft beer in Portsmouth......according to the Gwen ha du bar staff....Must be the water