nodwad

Winter bookings

Thought. This thread was about winter crossings?but in any case it is nice to read about what is going on.

1 hour ago, MichaelBF said:

Might perhaps do Roscoff in case of weather causes a division into Roscoff. 

How strong would the easterly winds need to be too blow her that far off course? 😊 Ed. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I think there's a little confusion in the article with regard to her original planned start this year. The quoted January tweet talks about the 2nd officer stating on the 9th July, that's the 2019 schedule. The guy I speak to at FSG still maintains that they want her handed over during March 2020 and having her in place for the Easter weekend build up.

Ah yes, the all important PEC... forgot about that.

1 hour ago, nodwad said:

Thought. This thread was about winter crossings?but in any case it is nice to read about what is going on.

It is but the winter timetable runs until March which doesn't leave a lot of breathing space especially with BDS returning to her owners less than a month later and before Easter.

6 minutes ago, jonno said:

but the winter timetable runs until March

It runs until April 21st, I imagine that this is to allow Easter to be included.

Edited by David Williams
  • Thanks 1

I am a little bit confused upon where AF Michela fits into all of this. Have I missed something, because I can't find it on any of the timetables?

7 minutes ago, MichaelBF said:

I am a little bit confused upon where AF Michela fits into all of this. Have I missed something, because I can't find it on any of the timetables?

It will be on the cork run, they haven’t published the Irish timetable yet

Edited by David Williams

18 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Brittany Ferries haven't confirmed any refit plans yet, it's only guesswork using the timetable at the moment. Normandie Express gets her new livery after the 2019 Summer Season, but no major refit, she had a refit in 2018. Barfleur is going in November/December 2019. Mont St Michel is going in January 2020 both vessels will receive the new livery (Shipyard unconfirmed).

Connemara is standing in for Barfy apparently.  As she was the former  Norman Asturius, she has spent time in Poole anyway.  I presume they will still allow footies - will book her up if so,  LD didn’t take footiies so will maybe a chance to try her out.   

Edited by Khaines

2 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Connemara is standing in for Barfy apparently.  As she was the former  Norman Asturius, she has spent time in Poole anyway.  I presume they will still allow footies - will book her up if so,  LD didn’t take footiies so will maybe a chance to try her out.   

I've heard she will be taking foot passengers.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MichaelBF said:

The only thing that confuses me is why they'll have her for 12 months, she'll be surplus to requirements come April and after the refit/maintenance program. Are BF finally losing Pelican which would see Etretat move over and why they need Connemara running BDS' timetable until Galicia arrives November 2020?

Then the Cap can take over that timetable and Connemara can return to Cork.

Personally I've never thought Etretat was a charter but rather a straight swap for Cotentin. I know the Visentini's aren't what BF travellers are used to but Etretat can go everywhere and fit everywhere. Give her a decent refit and she'd be popular. An A la Carte & good cabins would see her consolidate a Spanish offering from Poole very nicely.

46 minutes ago, jonno said:

The only thing that confuses me is why they'll have her for 12 months, she'll be surplus to requirements come April and after the refit/maintenance program. Are BF finally losing Pelican which would see Etretat move over and why they need Connemara running BDS' timetable until Galicia arrives November 2020?

Personally I've never thought Etretat was a charter but rather a straight swap for Cotentin. I know the Visentini's aren't what BF travellers are used to but Etretat can go everywhere and fit everywhere. Give her a decent refit and she'd be popular. An A la Carte & good cabins would see her consolidate a Spanish offering from Poole very nicely.

As I suggested up thread, I feel like it will be a two-ship service to Le Havre next year. It makes no sense to have two sailings per day in Jan/Feb and then only a daily (roughly) daily service the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Reading the recent issue of Ships Monthly and seeing the interior of Pelican, she is not a patch on Cotentin, interior wise.  I think it will be quite fun trying out Connemara, no doubt she get alll the Poole regulars booking up as well, like we have dons for NEX and Armorique.  She will probably pass with flying colours.  

12 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I think it will be quite fun trying out Connemara, no doubt she get alll the Poole regulars booking up as well, like we have dons for NEX and Armorique.  She will probably pass with flying colours.  

As long as you are happy driving up a 45 degree ramp !

Edited by David Williams

27 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Then having nearly burnt the clutch out you get the car back covered in salt...Friend of mine went out on the Etretat in June and was less than impressed with both aspects. Its the main reason I avoid the Visentini`s..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paully said:

Then having nearly burnt the clutch out you get the car back covered in salt...Friend of mine went out on the Etretat in June and was less than impressed with both aspects. Its the main reason I avoid the Visentini`s..

I actually like the Etretat (but only on the overnight Le Havre run), however the ramp was a bit of a shock the first time we did it (as the Norman Voyager). Driving up is not too bad as we refuse to start until the exit is clear, however my wife hates driving down the ramp. We don't have a problem with the salt as the sides are quite tall - we get more salt when on the exposed part of the Amorique where the crew actually wash the cars !

Edited by David Williams

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

I am a footie....😉

I just booked our trip back for Christmas now that the BF sailings are open for comparison with the other options. Going from north to south the prices I was quoted were:

Eurotunnel - €240 for 2 adults and 2 children return with a car

DFDS Dieppe to Newhaven  - €138 for 2 adults and 2 children return with a car

BF Caen to Portsmouth - €232 for 2 adults and 2 children return as foot passengers

Condor St Malo to Poole via Jersey/Guernsey - €600+ for 2 adults and 2 children return with a car

BF St Malo to Portsmouth - €398 for 2 adults and 2 children return as foot passengers

Easyjet Nantes to Gatwick - €300+ for 2 adults and 2 children return

I'll let you guess which one we went for, and it wasn't the one I was hoping would be the best price option given how far in advance I'm booking.

Ed

I am amazed DFDS make any money at all out of Newhaven.

Still - 232 BF Caen isn't bad at all really...

Just now, hf_uk said:

I am amazed DFDS make any money at all out of Newhaven.

Still - 232 BF Caen isn't bad at all really...

DFDS are heavily subsidised on that route

Have travelled twice this year aboard Connemara (Irish route). With just the car I didn't think the ramp eas that bad, although they expect you to reverse once up on open deck, but you are on the same level as reception, bar, restaurant, etc. After rough crossing they did wash us off before disembarkation. Our second trip with a trailer meant we stayed on freight deck which was quite empty with only four lorries (they still pushed cars up top). Even on the freight deck there's no need to worry about stairs as the escalator whisks you up to reception level. Some of crew had difficulty with english but this may change when boat is reflagged to french. Food was OK but no chips and the croissants and wifi were rubbish. 

22 hours ago, Paully said:

DFDS are heavily subsidised on that route

Yes to the tune of about £62 million over four years. It runs out in 2020. I think the route subsidy is found by a group similar to how BF's ships are funded and has proven to be successful in it's current guise. Dieppe is now controlled by the same port authority as Caen/Ouistreham & Cherbourg. I wonder if there can be some leverage there when the re negotiations begin again?

23 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I just booked our trip back for Christmas now that the BF sailings are open for comparison with the other options. Going from north to south the prices I was quoted were:

Eurotunnel - €240 for 2 adults and 2 children return with a car

DFDS Dieppe to Newhaven  - €138 for 2 adults and 2 children return with a car

BF Caen to Portsmouth - €232 for 2 adults and 2 children return as foot passengers

Condor St Malo to Poole via Jersey/Guernsey - €600+ for 2 adults and 2 children return with a car

BF St Malo to Portsmouth - €398 for 2 adults and 2 children return as foot passengers

Easyjet Nantes to Gatwick - €300+ for 2 adults and 2 children return

I'll let you guess which one we went for, and it wasn't the one I was hoping would be the best price option given how far in advance I'm booking.

Ed

Ed, how does the travel cost to Dieppe compare with the more expensive crossings with regard to tolls & fuel etc?