nodwad

Winter bookings

23 hours ago, Paully said:

DFDS are heavily subsidised on that route

Yes just imagine what might  have happebed with Esbjerg-Harwich had that route enjoyed a similar incentive...sorry to go off-topic ;)

For me, getting to Caen/Ouistreham costs about €20 more that to St Malo as there are tolls to pay and Dieppe is perhaps another €10 on top of that. I've never done the exact calculations as it's actually quite rare that we go directly from home and instead regularly stay in Laval or elsewhere or go via family or friends on the way there or back. Then there is another £10 of fuel to pay each way in the UK to get from Newhaven to Petersfield. So, even with the extra costs it still makes sense. As you can probably guess I booked DFDS. Ed.

Part of their subsidy allows a 20% discount for the over 60`s as well.....not that Cabin Boy would be able to take advantage though🤣

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Part of their subsidy allows a 20% discount for the over 60`s as well.....not that Cabin Boy would be able to take advantage though🤣

But he could take advantage of the 30% Club Voyage discount….

Out of interest Ed I've just tried a dummy booking for a car, 2 adults and 2 bambinos leaving Ouistreham on the 20th at 14h00 with an outside 4 berth cabin, returning Thursday 2nd January at 14h45 again with an outside 4 berth, it's coming up at £212 including an £81 CV reduction - that seems pretty good to me...^_^

But maybe your folks can't cope with you for that long and you were planning a shorter stay ...9_9

Chris

This is my first post on the site! On the old BF website, there were always 2 sailings per year (one at the end of March and one in November) from Bilbao to Plymouth on the Cap Finistiere. Does anybody know if these sailings will be repeated again? They are not included on the new BF website.

Thankyou.

Welcome to the site George!  Those sailings were always rather enigmatic in terms of why they took place, but general consensus was that (whatever it was) there was a particular purpose for them.  For that reason I’d be surprised if they did not happen.  (And I don’t think that there are any inferences that can be drawn from information not appearing on the new website.  There is a lot of information not on the new website that used to be available on the old one.  That is probably more just a reflection of the website than anything else 😉).

3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

But he could take advantage of the 30% Club Voyage discount….

Out of interest Ed I've just tried a dummy booking for a car, 2 adults and 2 bambinos leaving Ouistreham on the 20th at 14h00 with an outside 4 berth cabin, returning Thursday 2nd January at 14h45 again with an outside 4 berth, it's coming up at £212 including an £81 CV reduction - that seems pretty good to me...^_^

But maybe your folks can't cope with you for that long and you were planning a shorter stay ...9_9

Chris

Thanks for the information Chris. I think it's more a case of us not being able to cope with them for too long. We never stay more than 5 full days. The price does sound reasonable, I agree. The problem first is the timings. We need to get the afternoon crossing from Ouistreham to give us time to get to the port and the morning crossing back to be able to drive home. Second, I don't have a Club Voyage membership as we rarely do more than one trip per year and any others are generally spontaneous and take advantage of BF special offers anyway. If I have to add €90 to the price per year just for the membership fee (plus €120 to sign up initially) then that sort of negates any saving. Ed. 

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

If I have to add €90 to the price per year just for the membership fee (plus €120 to sign up initially) then that sort of negates any saving. Ed. 

It is only £75 and £75 for UK residents !

7 minutes ago, David Williams said:

It is only £75 and £75 for UK residents !

Which I am, unfortunately, not any more. However,  I could probably use my father's address as he is not in the club either. But it still works out as more even doing things on the UK side. Ed. 

7 hours ago, Gareth said:

Welcome to the site George!  Those sailings were always rather enigmatic in terms of why they took place, but general consensus was that (whatever it was) there was a particular purpose for them.  For that reason I’d be surprised if they did not happen.  (And I don’t think that there are any inferences that can be drawn from information not appearing on the new website.  There is a lot of information not on the new website that used to be available on the old one.  That is probably more just a reflection of the website than anything else 😉).

Cheers Gareth! 😀😀 We have used BF for 31 years and are now BF Club Members. I much prefer the old site for many reasons.

My wife and I have been wondering if there will be Dog Cabins in future Plymouth-Spain voyages from Summer 2020 onwards. Maybe the CAP F will be redeployed??

9 hours ago, Gareth said:

Cap visits Plymouth for audits. The shorter crossing time allows more time alongside.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, George Cooper said:

My wife and I have been wondering if there will be Dog Cabins in future Plymouth-Spain voyages from Summer 2020 onwards. Maybe the CAP F will be redeployed??

I might be mistaken, but wasn't it expected that CF would more regurlarly operate out of Plymouth following the delivery of the E-Flexers. I might be wrong however.

53 minutes ago, MichaelBF said:

I might be mistaken, but wasn't it expected that CF would more regurlarly operate out of Plymouth following the delivery of the E-Flexers. I might be wrong however.

It was suggested on here but, as usual, nothing from BF until it happens.

4 hours ago, GFB said:

What is Armorique doing between the 10th and 19th November. Just curious

Out of service. Not sure what specifically for.

41 minutes ago, scarlton said:

Out of service. Not sure what specifically for.

Quick bit of maintenance at Brest?  No need for a full refit as went to Poland last year.

I would like to say sorry, if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I have been looking at the winter timetable for LE Havre, and have noted that's BDS, will be replaced by Connemara, and used for the Tat, refit I think.

I would take that to mean that when Honfleur, comes into services, Normandie, will replace Tat, and do the 1 run to Le Havre, as did BDS, and Connemara, will return to the Cork, services. ??

17 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Quick bit of maintenance at Brest?  No need for a full refit as went to Poland last year.

Something like that would be my guess.

34 minutes ago, Gareth said:

That’s a matter of opinion.

On 18/07/2019 at 11:25, nodwad said:

Iam on the cf early Jan to bilbao and she is not economic ferry.

Fair enough, but mid November is only Economie.  Booked in BDS nevertheless.  Was hoping PA or CF though. 

11 hours ago, Drake said:

Fair enough, but mid November is only Economie.  Booked in BDS nevertheless.  Was hoping PA or CF though. 

Yes the cap is better but the bds is fine and I don't mind  sailing on her.the only thing I don't like is the length of the crossing on her.cheers

• Thanks 1