Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

Brittany Ferries - Bookings Up Again

While the shipping company has received financial compensation for the cancellation of a charter contract with the British government, reservations are rising again, suggesting a less gloomy summer for Brittany Ferries.

"For four weeks now, there has been a resurgence in bookings. Over the last two weeks, we are even + 20% of bookings compared to 2018 "Chairman of the Board of Brittany Ferries, Christophe Mathieu does not jump yet to the ceiling. "Over the period November-June, it is - 2% cross-Channel passengers compared to last year, - 4% for freight," he summarizes. Already, during the assessment of the 2018 summer season, closed with a 2% increase in passenger traffic, he had sounded the alarm, fearing the worst for 2019 in view of the low number of reservations. "There is no real surprise, we will have fewer passengers. But let's say that we are less pessimistic: we feared a drop of 7 to 8% between May and September and, finally, we could only be -5%. ".

In a fuzzy European political context (Von der Leyen, new President of the European Commission, waiting for the new British Prime Minister ...) and with Brexit as a sword of Damocles, this renewal is however not trivial: "It shows that the British were disturbed in the spring by the postponement of Brexit. The market has remained in a waiting position because of this but it starts again this early summer, "Christophe Mathieu analysis.

Perceived benefits

While the British government terminated in April, the contract under the Brexit (*), which provided the payment of 51.7 million to the shipping company in Brittany in order to increase the number of routes to 'increase freight capacity, Brittany Ferries has clearly perceived, as stipulated in the contract, the penalties for canceling it. "But do not ask how much, I can not tell you," Christopher Mathieu sweeps. These financial compensations are intended in particular to allow the maintenance of additional maritime connections, departing from Le Havre and Cherbourg.

The Honfleur at the end of the year

Currently under construction in Germany, the Honfleur, the company's first vessel powered by liquefied natural gas (LNG) is now expected by the end of the year.

brittany-ferries-les-reservations-repartent-a-la-hausse_4697488_540x270p.jpg

18th July 2019 - Translated from: https://www.letelegramme.fr/economie/brittany-ferries-les-reservations-repartent-a-la-hausse-18-07-2019-12342064.php?fbclid=IwAR0suDjMgtFPLSz3n_-1S9Nt4UCv2r5fE-gZBZdDAmigbcn1PkkK-RpmJCk

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Though will 2020 bookings be sluggish in light of a possible no deal departure from the EU?

I have a "spare" crossing in November previously booked ages ago that I want to move to April 2020 but the amendment service says I've timed out after a couple of mins when I input revised details. I clearly have not timed out having timed my amending to 4mins! Any idea whats going on or ways around this jam apart from paying to call the call centre?

The spare crossing is the result of lost holiday time due to hospital visits being given to me as I'm on the "any cancellations, last minute list"

Thanks

Stu

43 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

I have a "spare" crossing in November previously booked ages ago that I want to move to April 2020 but the amendment service says I've timed out after a couple of mins when I input revised details. I clearly have not timed out having timed my amending to 4mins! Any idea whats going on or ways around this jam apart from paying to call the call centre?

The spare crossing is the result of lost holiday time due to hospital visits being given to me as I'm on the "any cancellations, last minute list"

Thanks

Stu

Sounds like the servers are busy with new bookings, it is worth waiting and trying again. The other useful tip when the system gets confused is to try again in Private or Incognito node.