Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

Bretagne the documentary.

One of the benefits of the new BBC Scotland channel is the variety of documentaries there’s even one about a certain ferry 😉 

• Like 5

Thanks Neil. Interesting watch and to hear Lachlans passion for travelling on Bretagne to Brittany and it being the start of the holiday is great. He did call it the flagship though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Thanks Neil. Interesting watch and to hear Lachlans passion for travelling on Bretagne to Brittany and it being the start of the holiday is great. He did call it the flagship though.

It was the flagship when he knew it as a boy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tregastel said:

It was the flagship when he knew it as a boy.

Yes, I know it was. I was being a bit pedantic as he was talking in the present sense. 

The programme did remind me to go and look again at the art next time we're on her now that I've heard about the family connections to Brittany. 

Wonder what they'll do with it all when she eventually leaves the fleet.  

1 hour ago, Tumnus2010 said:

The programme did remind me to go and look again at the art next time we're on her now that I've heard about the family connections to Brittany. 

Completely agree, particularly now that we're aware of some of the back stories of the various pieces of art.

It would be great if an audio guide was produced for the Bretagne, as there already is for the Pont-Aven. Lachlan would make a fantastic narrator.

• Like 3

Found this in the attic. Used to watch it all the time as a kid. Just played it again for 10 mins. The music and sound is terrible quality (good old VHS) but the footage of the Bretagne and the insight into how she was constructed is invaluable when you consider the detail that went into her design its no wonder she's still going strong 30 years later. Alexander Goudie also speaks on the video. 

20190923_224012.jpg

20190923_224616.jpg

20190923_224639.jpg

20190923_225828.jpg

• Like 4

It's still on iPlayer for a few more days https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00087lz.

Watched it when it was broadcast, even Mrs PSU was captivated.

I don't think either of us had realised that one man was responsible for all that artwork, as there are so many different styles.

Always enjoyed looking at it (them?) on our trips on her over the last decade.

Was strange watching it that I had posted one of the comments above from the market at Pont l’Abbe, it’s been done up a bit since Goudies time but still has a great atmosphere.4603412E-4018-4B6E-816D-301285ED1DE0.thumb.jpeg.8b2db3e8d414b559f96a003604a014a2.jpeg

14 hours ago, chid679 said:

Found this in the attic. Used to watch it all the time as a kid. Just played it again for 10 mins. The music and sound is terrible quality (good old VHS) but the footage of the Bretagne and the insight into how she was constructed is invaluable when you consider the detail that went into her design its no wonder she's still going strong 30 years later. Alexander Goudie also speaks on the video. 

20190923_224012.jpg

20190923_224616.jpg

20190923_224639.jpg

20190923_225828.jpg

The guy behind the captain in the white t/shirt and the painted on beard looks really shifty .... like he's up to no good.

7 hours ago, neilcvx said:

It’s available on YouTube with a bit of digging.

I have not been able to find it on youtube.  can someone post a link please?

Just now, jamess said:

I have not been able to find it on youtube.  can someone post a link please?

I will hunt around I have watched it but can’t find it now.