Ryan_H

P&O Cruises Britannia - alleged 'Brawl'

BBC News - 'Mass brawl' breaks out on P&O cruise ship Britannia https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49137520

I suppose something like this was always going to happen one day. I must say as someone who loves travelling on ships, looking at the footage on YouTube and elsewhere, this looks like my worst nightmare. 

Today's paper suggests that a factor may have been the takeup of P&O's 'unlimited' drinks package which apparently allows individuals up to 15 drinks a day for a price.

It seems that a number of passengers were determined to exercise their rights to the full quota in order to get their money's worth.

Now who would have thought it...? 🙄

Own goal by P&O there I think.

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

'Unlimited' drinks package that 'limits' it to 15 a day ..... that's a new one on me

By the time you get to 14 your memory is probably so hazy you can't recall what was mentioned in the brochure and can no longer see to read the small print on your contract. Ed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

By the time you get to 14 your memory is probably so hazy you can't recall what was mentioned in the brochure and can no longer see to read the small print on your contract. Ed. 

and after 15 they get automatically logged to your onboard account, with out anything more being said, and sold at P & O`s silly money prices. Never really fancied `Benidorm` afloat..

2 hours ago, Geezer said:

'Unlimited' drinks package that 'limits' it to 15 a day ..... that's a new one on me

Exactly - we have always found it more economical to pre-book drinks packages as it doesn't take many drinks to be on the winning side. Our last MSC cruise charged approx. £250 per passenger per week however if you choose to pay when you drink the basic cost is high with additional 20 to 30% added Wine deals are also a must if you fancy a nice bottle at lunch or dinner. I do hope P&O rectify the problems as we are booked on IONA for its inaugural sailing next year.

1 hour ago, Manxscorpio said:

Exactly - we have always found it more economical to pre-book drinks packages as it doesn't take many drinks to be on the winning side. Our last MSC cruise charged approx. £250 per passenger per week however if you choose to pay when you drink the basic cost is high with additional 20 to 30% added Wine deals are also a must if you fancy a nice bottle at lunch or dinner. I do hope P&O rectify the problems as we are booked on IONA for its inaugural sailing next year.

Typo error …… Drinks package was £150 not £250 …. Doh….

2 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

Typo error …… Drinks package was £150 not £250 …. Doh….

I rest my case! After that many drinks you can't even type properly. 😉 Ed. 

26 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I rest my case! After that many drinks you can't even type properly. 😉 Ed. 

Haha actually not that many 😎

• Like 1

Its worth stating here - drinks on a cruise ship can be expensive but P&O seem to charge about the same as a local pub would. If tripping to the Fjords and taking shore leave in Norway then prices rocket - £11 for a beer and £14 for a sandwich - thank goodness Cruises are all inclusive !!!!!

9 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

This video convinces me that going with P&O Cruises may actually be as awful as I'd always imagined. 

Ah yes the `sail away` party ...aka Enforced Fun!!..........I`d find it much more interesting watching them drop the pilot. 

• Like 1

It would seem that some passengers considered a black tie evening as fancy dress .

Edited by Chef
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Chef said:

It would seem that some passengers considered a black tie evening as fancy dress .

To be fair, if I saw someone turn up dressed as a Gorilla, wearing a black tie... well he's met the brief hasn't he.

:D

Making cruises affordable you get undesirables amongst the majority of the well behaved especially with many cheap drink packages going against the health gurus. People have more money now so it's not an upper class type of holiday anymore. Even if you pay a lot you are not guaranteed not to end up with this type of thing happening.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Millsy said:

That's cruising off the list then. Not that I'm too bothered.

The idea of spending 2 weeks in isolated confinement on the high seas with 4000 other “inhabitants” fills me with horror.  I’m sure that’s not at all what it feels like when you are on board and in your luxurious cabin, but Costa Concordia brought home the reality.  No way would you ever get 4000 people to safety if something went wrong.

• Like 2

Overt expressions of nationalism don't really appeal to me at the best of times but maybe, just maybe, this would be OK in British waters. But I cannot comprehend why anyone would want to do it whilst sailing close to the quiet shores of beautiful Norway.

s

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hhvferry said:

Overt expressions of nationalism don't really appeal to me at the best of times but maybe, just maybe, this would be OK in British waters. But I cannot comprehend why anyone would want to do it whilst sailing close to the quiet shores of beautiful Norway.

s

And to think there was a time not so long ago where you could experience the Norwegian fjords by way of a regular, civilised ferry crossing; instead, today we have this. Progress eh :( 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gareth said:

The idea of spending 2 weeks in isolated confinement on the high seas with 4000 other “inhabitants” fills me with horror.  I’m sure that’s not at all what it feels like when you are on board and in your luxurious cabin, but Costa Concordia brought home the reality.  No way would you ever get 4000 people to safety if something went wrong.

Both things are what has put me off in the past, these sorts and their behaviours have already stopped me going racing and to one day cricket years ago. On safety I don't care what evacuation plans they have for these monster ships - they won't work in reality.

• Like 1