Ryan_H

P&O Cruises Britannia - alleged 'Brawl'

1 hour ago, Millsy said:

On safety I don't care what evacuation plans they have for these monster ships - they won't work in reality.

No amount of planning or practice can remove the human element on passenger ships.

2 hours ago, scarlton said:

No amount of planning or practice can remove the human element on passenger ships.

Very true.  All the drills in the world can’t prepare for the foibles of human reaction. But just look at how few passengers they actually managed to get off Viking Sky when they were expecting her to slam into the Norwegian coast....a tiny proportion.

• Like 1

If you put 5000+ people on a ship then there must be a potential risk. Modern cruise ships are designed with transverse compartmentation so if holed they will settle on an even keel but that isn't enough when you have a lovesick Italian captain who rips half the bottom out as happened with the Costa Concordia although he did appear to have his own personal evacuation arrangements.

A lot of professional seamen also think it is crazy to send these ships on cruises down to the Antarctic where rescue facilites are practically non existent.

The other big danger is of course fire and there are extensive precautions to contain outbreaks but they may not always work as planned and again there is always the unexpected as on Star Princess in 2006 where it is believed a cigarette butt set fire to the polycarbonate sheeting on a balcony which then caught fire and spread along the side of the ship (a bit like Grenfell) bypassing the internal fire protection arrangements and affecting 150 cabins.

Then of course, on almost any cruise ship, there are a significant proportion of passenengers with limited mobility who are not going to be able to just hop into a lifeboat.

Personally I'm amazed that 'only' 32 died on Costa Concordia. Next time it could be a lot more.

The Viking Sky incident is salutary. Ship left drifting without power onto a lee shore, seas too rough to launch lifesaving apparatus and airborne rescue in a 1st World country far too slow to have any hope of taking off more than a fraction of those aboard. It certainly makes you think.

• Like 3

One thing i noticed about Britannia which surprised me, is that she's apparently registered in Southampton. I wonder why not Bermuda like the rest of the fleet? Or maybe they haven't gotten round to it yet...

I was going to comment on all the "Nationalistic shenanigans" on ships not registered here but it seems it would be okay on this one.

4 hours ago, rogerpatenall said:

As I understood it, ships were registered overseas because weddings were not licensed on UK registered ships. That rule has now changed.

That was the reason given that the Cunard Queens were changed to Bermuda. It will be interesting to see then if they come back to being registered in Southampton... I doubt it though...

9 hours ago, rogerpatenall said:

As I understood it, ships were registered overseas because weddings were not licensed on UK registered ships. That rule has now changed.

I am quite sure that low taxation plays an important part in deciding where a ship is flagged. British flag is fairly well respected the world over hence Cunard flagging however the currency used on board most lines is of course US Dollars...

6 hours ago, Solo said:

I was going to comment on all the "Nationalistic shenanigans" on ships not registered here but it seems it would be okay on this one.

I am not surprised that there are "Nationalistic shenanigans" on Britannia.  Her name encourages it.  But what nationality?  I look forward to hearing about the "shenanigans" at Sail-Aways on P&O's new Iona - Prayer and Meditation?

36 minutes ago, Malc said:

I am not surprised that there are "Nationalistic shenanigans" on Britannia.  Her name encourages it.  But what nationality?  I look forward to hearing about the "shenanigans" at Sail-Aways on P&O's new Iona - Prayer and Meditation?

Let us hope that such shenanigans don’t happen on Saga cruises.  Saga being over 50s and the over 50s of this day and age are a bit different to the over 50s of times gone by...

On 31/07/2019 at 16:44, Gareth said:

I wonder if BF will survive the re-branding!

The moment someone spots a shower curtain with the new logo, I want to know about it. We know they have made then:)

On 05/08/2019 at 00:09, hf_uk said:

The moment someone spots a shower curtain with the new logo, I want to know about it. We know they have made then:)

When they do refits?  Barf due in later this year so she might sprout them first.   NEX doesn’t count.  I’ll ask someone who works on Barfy keep an eye open when she gets back.  Suppose they are quick to fit, so could well fit any ship during when they are in port empty of passengers.