Gareth

BF Refit Season 2019-20

Probably a bit early for discussion of this to kick off in earnest, but given that issues surrounding Pont Aven and Honfleur have started to trigger thoughts about this, it is time to start this thread for the new refit season.  The 2018-19 refit thread is now closed.

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Probably a bit early for discussion of this to kick off in earnest, but given that issues surrounding Pont Aven and Honfleur have started to trigger thoughts about this, it is time to start this thread for the new refit season.  The 2018-19 refit thread is now closed.

Have we any idea yet, on where, Pont Aven's engine repairs are likely to be undertook? Brest?

9 minutes ago, MichaelBF said:

Have we any idea yet, on where, Pont Aven's engine repairs are likely to be undertook? Brest?

I’m not aware whether that has been decided yet.  If I was to speculate, I’d guess Gdansk, but it must be partly a case of finding a yard with space for the required extended amount of time.  Gdansk probably has more scope to accomodate that need than Brest.

21 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I’m not aware whether that has been decided yet.  If I was to speculate, I’d guess Gdansk, but it must be partly a case of finding a yard with space for the required extended amount of time.  Gdansk probably has more scope to accomodate that need than Brest.

Likely to be a case of wait and see then. Are we expecting a more substantial re-fit on Bretagne this year? Bearing in mind her last one was January 2017. 

• Like 1

I’d be very surprised if Bretagne did not have a proper refit this year - as you say, it will be 2 years since the last one in the New Year.  I’ve not studied the winter timetables yet (haven’t yet been bothered making the effort that trying to get to grips with them on the new website will require), but I’d say that the only circumstance in which Bretagne will not get a decent refit is if BF has imminent plans to replace her.

50 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Even easier to read ones are on the freight site

https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/ferry-routes/timetables

A little caution needs to be exercised with the freight timetables as not all the sailings are open to passengers. For example Connemara is doing a crossing for freight from Portsmouth to Cherbourg on 23rd November but it's not accepting passengers. Ed. 

That's the easy part of it....

Portsmouth - Caen
Mont St Michel absent 6th Jan to 3rd Feb Armorique covering
Normandie absent 3rd to 10th Feb Armorique covering

Portsmouth to St Malo
Bretagne absent 4th Nov to 29th Dec Pont Aven Covering
Bretagne then back for two sailings then Pont Aven covers one sailing

Poole to Cherbourg
Barfleur finishes 24th Nov and returns 3rd Jan.  Connemara covering

Plymouth to Roscoff
Armorique finishes 4th Jan and returns 11th Feb

I've worked out the following but not accurate, shipyards are only a guess going on their last refits.

‘Cap Finistere’ Nov 3rd 2019 – Nov 26th 2019  (Santander)

*Etretat & Connemara will cover some dates*

‘Bretagne’ - Lay-Up or Refit - Nov 4th 2019 – Dec 28th 2019 (Gdansk)

*Pont-Aven to cover*

‘Barfleur’ Nov 24th 2020 - Jan 2nd 2020 (Santander)

*Connemara to cover*

‘Pont-Aven’ Jan 3rd 2020 – March 16th 2020 (Gdansk)

‘Mont St Michel’ Jan 6th 2020 – Feb 2nd 2020 (Gdansk or Santander)

*Armorique to cover*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I've worked out the following but not accurate, shipyards are only a guess going on their last refits.

Aaaggghhh... We are due to go to Bilbao on the Cap F on 1st December. Please let her be back by then. I would rather swim than do 2 nights on the Etretat. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Cassie said:

Aaaggghhh... We are due to go to Bilbao on the Cap F on 1st December. Please let her be back by then. I would rather swim than do 2 nights on the Etretat. 

I think it's quite rare for refits to over-run so you'll probably be fine. It's more likely to be the weather that could cause problems. Ed. 

2 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think it's quite rare for refits to over-run so you'll probably be fine. It's more likely to be the weather that could cause problems. Ed. 

Indeed.  Especially routine ones.  I have some memory that Pont Aven's scrubber installation might have over-run (is that correct?), but even all the rest of those went to schedule.  Pont's engine replacement might be a bit of an unknown, but then again they have allowed plenty of time for it.  As you say, Ed, it would be very unusual for CF's annual regular maintenance drydocking to run late.

3 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

‘Bretagne’ - Lay-Up or Refit - Nov 4th 2019 – Dec 28th 2019 (Gdansk)

*Pont-Aven to cover*

‘Barfleur’ Nov 24th 2020 - Jan 2nd 2020 (Santander)

*Connemara to cover*

‘Pont-Aven’ Jan 3rd 2020 – March 16th 2020 (Gdansk)

‘Mont St Michel’ Jan 6th 2020 – Feb 2nd 2020 (Gdansk or Santander)

*Armorique to cover*

You're more or less bang on with the dates, give or take a couple of days here or there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scarlton said:

You're more or less bang on with the dates, give or take a couple of days here or there.

The dates mentioned are day refit starts and day refit ends, including de-storing and re-storing.

'Normandie Express' remains in Cherbourg today (Wednesday) however, she is due to receive annual maintenance (and presumably her new livery) which will take place in Dunkirk. Arrival in Dunkirk is expected next Monday (16th September) at 10:00 local time.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

'Normandie Express; is now scheduled to leave Cherbourg tomorrow morning bound for Dunkirk, arriving at around 15:00 local time. 'Normandie Express' is expected to dock at Quai de Suez (Circled) if the 'European Seaway' is still in port.

Capture.JPG

Edited by TonyMWeaver

I took a few pics in Cherbourg Friday. Ferry central. NEX alongside the Cité de la Mer, Barfleur, WB Yeats and Epsilon arriving/departing. Try to find time to post.

7 minutes ago, colin said:

I took a few pics in Cherbourg Friday. Ferry central. NEX alongside the Cité de la Mer, Barfleur, WB Yeats and Epsilon arriving/departing. Try to find time to post.

Will certainly miss going upstairs in the terminal to that lounge like area where you can ship watch.  Always enjoyed sitting up there, all offices now.  Shame really, remember I nearly missed my crossing home as the departure tannoy cannot be heard up there and remember being busy watching Harmony of the Seas reversing out - went downstairs to find out they were waiting for ONE passenger to board for Poole.  Me.  The shame...😄

02AB65EC-26BA-49E5-B4B6-EBB18BA36EE2.jpeg

Edited by Khaines

Docked in Roscoff this morning on Pont Aven, 30 min delay disembarking due to “problems opening the bow door”. Not the first time she’s had this problem either!

• Sad 1