Gareth

BF Refit Season 2019-20

It appears they missed the upper deck around what I presume is officer/crew cabins behind the bridge - it looks a little rust stained at tatty?  

I am not a fan of the Bridge being all white, makes the ship look older than it is.

12 hours ago, 5_ShortBlasts said:

It appears they missed the upper deck around what I presume is officer/crew cabins behind the bridge - it looks a little rust stained at tatty? 

They aren't finished yet. You can see that the weathertight doors to the equipment spaces on deck 9 are still in red primer.

I'm surprised how many of you are interested in tne style and colour of a ship's exterior paintwork and why you call it "livery". 

I'm only interested in the interior of the ship -  the quality of the cabins, the facilities for passengers, the service offered, the cleanliness, the restaurant menu, the efficiency of loading and unloading, and so on. 

Whether there is a blue stripe outside, and where it goes seems trivial. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, wortley said:

I'm only interested in the interior of the ship

I’m surprised at that!  But each to their own.  This is a ferry enthusiasts’ site after all, and most shipping enthusiasts are interested in many things, including what the ships look like.  Here’s a challenge for you - have a browse through the gallery and do a quick ready reckoning of the proportions of interior v exterior photographs there are in there. 😉

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Here’s a challenge for you - have a browse through the gallery and do a quick ready reckoning of the proportions of interior v exterior photographs there are in there. 😉

In fairness though Gareth its much easier to obtain exterior shots. You would actually have to travel on the vessel in question to obtain the interior shots, which could account for the imbalance. 

9 minutes ago, Paully said:

In fairness though Gareth its much easier to obtain exterior shots. You would actually have to travel on the vessel in question to obtain the interior shots, which could account for the imbalance. 

True.  Could do...... 🤔😀

59 minutes ago, wortley said:

I'm surprised how many of you are interested in tne style and colour of a ship's exterior paintwork and why you call it "livery". 

I'm only interested in the interior of the ship -  the quality of the cabins, the facilities for passengers, the service offered, the cleanliness, the restaurant menu, the efficiency of loading and unloading, and so on. 

Agree 100% although things like the scrubbers on Pont Aven are an exterior feature that affects customer experience due to it impacting on deck space.

Agree 100% although things like the scrubbers on Pont Aven are an exterior feature that affects customer experience due to it impacting on deck space.

And providing a gentle, possibly slightly acidic, shower to strollers on the promenade deck when the wind is in the wrong direction....

Scrubbers.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wortley said:

I get what you're saying but as Gareth points out this a BF enthusiast forum which over the years has grown to encompass all manner of shipping and shipping lines.

It's not Tripadvisor as some may think who only post when they have something to complain about.

I think we're all mindful of what's on offer once onboard but as BF never do anything to the interiors, year on year there's not that much to discuss. Cabins, restaurants & cafe's are the same as they day they entered port. Me I'm different again, I'm more interested in how they perform at sea.

The point with BF's livery is that the ships used to be recognisable at quite a distance from shore as there was always something subtly different with all of them such as Bretagne's multi blue stripes on her bridge superstructure or Normandie's multi blue stripes on the steel which encloses her stern staircases. The blue and amber stripes also set them apart. For me the P&O ships lost a fair bit of port presence when they lost their blue hulls.

Consider too the older liveries of Townsend Thoresen, the green, blue or red hulls are as iconic to ship enthusiasts as the Coronation Class steam loco Duchess of Hamilton's Crimson Lake and gold speed whiskers or the Pacific Mallard's Garter Blue is to steam buffs.

• Like 2

Well, regarding external appearance, remember when we had Armorique a couple of years ago.  I was sitting out near the Quay and a couple of Jehovah’s Witnesses walked up to me, offering their literature (which I politely declined!) and one of the remarked that “Barfleur looks different” and she couldn’t make out why.  An explanation was duly proffered that it was a completely different ship altogether and Barfleur was away for a couple of weeks, which they were worried about then.  They asked if she was coming back, to which I answered that she had better do! 😄

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

I thought Barfluer got an all singing all dancing fancy new lounge.

She did, it's exclusively private too... unlike the Club Lounge going into Honfleur.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonno said:

She did, it's exclusively private too... unlike the Club Lounge going into Honfleur.

anybody on here been in it?

Barfy’s Club lounge.  Not been in it myself - those seats look quite hard and uncomfortable.  Not bothered about Nespresso coffee neither, quite happy to get coffee out of the self service, or the other cafe when it is open.  Failing that, the vending machine..

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/barfleur-club-lounge-to-launch-on-poole-to-cherbourg-ferry-service-this-summer/

Ooops, just realised the other thread has appeared after posting.

Edited by Khaines

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 - that bridge, looks odd with all that white.  Now the windows have broken up the white a BIT, she still looks weird..

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Khaines said:

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 - that bridge, looks odd with all that white.  Now the windows have broken up the white a BIT, she still looks weird..

Dumpy? 😉

43 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Khaines just called Barfleur wierd... the end of the universe is here!

The three windows don't do her justice with that livery, though at least the upper vehicle door has been painted.

Still think BF shouldn't have gone for the one livery fits all approach.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Khaines said:

Finally! She agrees with me at last. It's only taken 4 years and a couple of thousand posts. 😉 Ed. 

• Haha 4