Gareth

BF Refit Season 2019-20

1 hour ago, colin said:

If my attempt to be light hearted was such an all round failure, I promise to try harder in 2020.

Maybe we need a new thread next week for new years resolutions, mine will probably be not to mention bread rolls again

• Haha 3

Bretagne restoring in Cherbourg this afternoon. Apologies for the poor photo but it was low tide and a grisly grey day here. Having said that she looks pristine and as good as new - ready for another 30 years sterling service!

Chris

47D1E840-1E91-4BBC-8698-3F8A6A96D9CB.jpeg

336F9521-C5B9-417B-9DCC-A58F26B5EB75.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

Bretagne restoring in Cherbourg this afternoon. Apologies for the poor photo but it was low tide and a grisly grey day here. Having said that she looks pristine and as good as new - ready for another 30 years sterling service!

Have to agree she's looking pretty good. On her again in April and can't wait. 

• Like 1

You have to admire that elegant bow optimised for good seakeeping in the Bay on the route she was originally intended for.

She may be getting old but her sheer class still shines through. They'll never build another like her. It would be too expensive.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, JayKay said:

Was she originally built for Bilbao and Santander routes?

The Bretagne? Indeed she was, abit just Santander as Bilbao was P&O at the time (actually,she must predate the Pride of Bilbao 1993 I believe for PoB).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Sailing on her in September looking forward to the outward leg on Pont Aven, 😉

Thought you would have sailed back on Pont Aven to cheer yourself up a bit at the end of your holiday, you'll just be depressed driving home now!😉

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

The Bretagne? Indeed she was, abit just Santander as Bilbao was P&O at the time (actually,she must predate the Pride of Bilbao 1993 I believe for PoB).

Yep, then BF bought the Val de Loire in '93 to increase capacity on their Plymouth-Santander route to compete more evenly. Bretagne carried on offering winter sailings to Santander from Portsmouth where she'd berth overnight as a floating hotel until around '96 I think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Wonder if they'll use Bretagne on another Christmas cruise? It wasn't so long ago both PA and Bretagne did them, right?

They might if @ross brown gets to be in charge of BAI 😉😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New pics of Barfy inside.  I was told I could post them by the person who took them.  I assume BFE as well would be ok! 

“You can put these on FB if you like , there is -  some new deck plans, a couple of pieces of carpet (top of 7 stairs ),some new toilets and sinks in 8 cabins (some) ,some new pillows , a new bar seating with power points, new bar shutters”.  is the message he gave. 

Not sure if I can credit the name of the person, he might not like me naming him, but I do have permission to use them.

DD96F7E0-39B7-4E62-A5BC-2E1582968755.jpeg

83697188-7965-4E40-ADCF-E835BBA5814C.jpeg

853C5B16-BDFF-421F-9FAE-05572CAB58BA.jpeg

F581D5E1-3A3C-4DEC-A532-AD6EF34F2BBC.jpeg

• Like 1

Tony tweeted these and credited C G

I see that the UK sockets were put in by a European electrician - we would never have the earth at the bottom, however it does work better when close to a work surface.

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Tony tweeted these and credited Christopher Grist.

I see that the UK sockets were put in by a European electrician - we would never have the earth at the bottom, however it does work better when close to a work surface.

They look like 'Legrand' modular sockets and are actually quite useful when you have odd-shaped power blocks for various gadgets etc. (At least they are not slanted at 45 degrees like the daft multiblocks you get over here where one plug blocks another.) I have actually put a couple of French ones in sideways so the cable runs along the worksurface to the machine. Ed. 

• Like 1

Barfy looking good! Hoping to try to do a Cherbourg day trip before long ( and pay Chris a visit!), as Armorique has gone on Winter Holidays :(

• Like 2

Anyone any idea what the wall mounted fittings are under the counter top, the one on the left appears to have a green light? Dedicated phone charging perhaps or surge protection for the sockets above?

10 minutes ago, jonno said:

Anyone any idea what the wall mounted fittings are under the counter top, the one on the left appears to have a green light? Dedicated phone charging perhaps or surge protection for the sockets above?

Shelf Brackets.

• Like 1