Gareth

BF Refit Season 2019-20

On 27/12/2019 at 18:21, JayKay said:

Was she originally built for Bilbao and Santander routes?

She was custom-built for the Plymouth-Santander route - replacing Quiberon as the BF flagship in 1989.

On 03/01/2020 at 12:01, TonyMWeaver said:

'Pont-Aven' now bound for Cherbourg for de-storing, from there she heads to Gdansk.

A few pics of Pont-Aven last night when they were already craning off the inflatable life rafts, and this morning when she was stern in on berth 3. I’m not an expert in crane sizes but since I’m originally from Bristol I can confidently say it was a gert big un...🤓

Chris 

I’m assuming the life rafts are off to be inspected/checked rather than in case they get knicked in Gdansk!

E4BA17E4-1B50-4413-9ED6-AEADDD34E801.jpeg

42A764E2-1B57-44F2-BF35-262EE56B9C18.jpeg

10113AEA-DFFF-4D4C-9C78-84AE48B9F9BA.jpeg

6600F5C3-DF01-42A6-9C52-8B1CA976D7C4.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I’m assuming the life rafts are off to be inspected/checked rather than in case they get knicked in Gdansk!

Maybe the survival pack in the Pont's life rafts  have gourmet French goodies , Perrier water instead of the tinned stuff .

• Haha 1

I think liferafts have to be serviced at least every 12 months, they are usually stamped with expiry dates. I don't know if BF have them serviced and put back or whether there is some sort of system whereby the existing rafts are swapped for ones in date.

Pont-Aven npw heading to Poland, a good job I got down this morning but just realised I can't spell nicked! She's currently doing 21.5 knots, let's hope that shows as 26 knots for some of the return trip, BF will then breathe a huge sigh of relief...9_9

You are correct about the 12 month servicing period Colin, here's the appropriate extract from SOLAS regulations.

8.1 Every inflatable liferaft, inflatable lifejacket, and marine evacuation system shall be serviced: .1 at intervals not exceeding 12 months, provided where in any case this is impracticable, the Administration may extend this period to 17 months; and .2 at an approved servicing station which is competent to service them, maintains proper servicing facilities and uses only properly trained personnel.* * Refer to the Recommendation on the Conditions for the Approval of Servicing Stations for Inflatable Liferafts adopted by the Organization by resolution A.761(18).

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Maybe the survival pack in the Pont's life rafts  have gourmet French goodies , Perrier water instead of the tinned stuff .

This is what a French army ration pack contains for 24 hours of operations. Given the price of a BF ticket, I'd expect nothing less to sustain me in the event I'm forced to abandon ship. Ed

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

• Like 1

Many years ago I was being  instructed  on  how to use a lift raft and we were shown the contents of the survival  container , which contained tinned water amongst other things , the instructor explained that the small amount of water was sufficient to maintain the occupants of the life raft for a considerable  number of days . The fella next to me had some doubt about the water lasting for such an amount of time so I told him the water was " concentrated water  " just like concentrated  juice , and you just had to add three  tins of water to it and hey presto . He believed me . Needless to say he was not around for the rest of the course .

• Haha 3

On 03/01/2020 at 12:12, TonyMWeaver said:

Armorique is still expected to cover Mont St Michel next week, so the timetable says.

And until the end of the month apparently so all very strange. She will be heading to Cherbourg tonight on a scheduled overnight sailing, then presumably will destore before heading off who knows where. I'll get down to the port tomorrow morning for a few photos, am on Armorique for the 16h30 sailing back to Portsmouth so will try to winkle out what's going on ....O.o

Chris

I've still think that they have given her slot in the yard to PA for her engine change. Whether it was done intentionally or because they realised late on that they had not actually got two docks booked but just one I don't know. Presumably they can give her a clean up in Cherbourg or Le Havre if necessary instead and even have a temporary logo applied as they did with Bretagne last year. Ed. 

20 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

This is what a French army ration pack contains for 24 hours of operations. Given the price of a BF ticket, I'd expect nothing less to sustain me in the event I'm forced to abandon ship. Ed

That can't be that far off what most of us bring back from the French supermarkets!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Would MSM not go to Santander? Didn't they do her scrubbers?

Mont St Michel is not listed for either Le Havre or Santander this week, I'm wondering if she'll stay in Cherbourg or head around to Brest for lay up instead. I've just noticed that Armorique is covering Normandie's sailings with Normandie covering Mont St Michel's sailings.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

'Armorique' now bound for Ouistreham, ready to cover the 16:30 Caen to Portsmouth sailing on Monday. 'Normandie' now departing Ouistreham, bound for Portsmouth where she will stay until 14:45 Monday afternoon.

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Mont St Michel is not listed for either Le Havre or Santander this week, I'm wondering if she'll stay in Cherbourg or head around to Brest for lay up instead. I've just noticed that Armorique is covering Normandie's sailings with Normandie covering Mont St Michel's sailings.

Didn't it work like that the last time Armorique covered MSM.

2 minutes ago, Solo said:

Didn't it work like that the last time Armorique covered MSM.

I can't remember, but it's possible.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Yes it did.  When MSM is away, Normandie always "steps up" to her roster, and Armorique covers for Normandie.

Effectively, it is always Normandie's roster that Armorique takes when covering at Ouistreham, with the remaining ship (be it MSM or Normandie) taking the "senior" roster.  (I.e. the one that includes the Friday night departure from Portsmouth). 

Interesting route choice from Pont Aven,  not going past Helsingborg/Malmo and under the Ostersunds bridge, rather a longer route through the great belt area. Is she stopping off in Flensburg?  😂😂

It’s not uncommon for her to take this route - she’s done it before.  Not sure what the considerations are - bridge clearance at state of tide maybe? (Not sure how critical that is).  Or congestion of traffic / ability to make faster progress?  Or, is a pilot required to transit the Oresund (don’t know) and BF does not want to pay for one?  Could be a variety of reasons, but I’d say from previous observation that Pont Aven take the longer route at least as often as the shorter one and possibly more.

• Thanks 2

MSM arrived safely in Cherbourg this morning and was berthed at passerelle 3, single linkspan so I’m assuming not a huge load on board. I’m now on Armorique heading to Portsmouth, not my favourite BF vessel because I find her too « open plan », but her cabins are excellent and I think she actually looks better after having scrubbers fitted. 

I have just bumped into one of the restaurant staff I know well who used to work on MSM, he assures me she’s heading to Poland for refit......???

The plot thickens

Chris

CE880E52-6E4E-4B81-85AA-D0FA8C0FAB2E.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

They could redesign Armorique and improve its public space area fairly easily and create a totally different feel to the ship with it being so open plan , it does look ok with the scrubbers but it’s compromised on deck space not such a problem in January but on a busy August sailing it can seem cramped.

14 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I have just bumped into one of the restaurant staff I know well who used to work on MSM, he assures me she’s heading to Poland for refit......???

The plot thickens

Perhaps your galley chum should stick to thickening sauces rather than plots. 😉 Ed. 

She could use a re-paint, and a nice blue line.

I always found her the least aesthetically pleasing ship in the fleet to look at anyway, very functional, and that was before the scrubbers landed. Hopefully she gets some attention somewhere this winter!