Gareth

BF Refit Season 2019-20

Regarding the state of her hull, was watching Countryfile tonight and although forgot the name of the company or machine, they featured a robotic thing that scraped the hulls of ships and removed all the gunge.  Supposed to be something that removes invasive species as there was a feature on invasive species in our waters.

7 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Regarding the state of her hull, was watching Countryfile tonight and although forgot the name of the company or machine, they featured a robotic thing that scraped the hulls of ships and removed all the gunge.  Supposed to be something that removes invasive species as there was a feature on invasive species in our waters.

I saw that too, inventor of the gadget was Scandinavian, don't know where the feature was recorded, or the ships name - they also reckoned up to 20% fuel saving too by gunge removal!  It will be on iplayer shortly I think.

• Like 1

BF were never going to put off giving Mont St Michel the new livery, they were not going to wait until November. Meanwhile, here's another shot of 'Pont-Aven' in Gdansk from Just Ferries.

82496499_2764747973546911_336939454226759680_o.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Khaines said:

There's a interesting book titled: Stemming The Tide...Controlling Introductions of Nonindigenous Species by Ships' Ballast Water, I got my copy back in 2011 although it's geared more toward the US west coast shipping industry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I’m not sure how these will turn out As it was almost dark but here’s further photos tonight of MSM taken from Barfleur. So the old logo has gone from the port side and they’ve finished painting the bow blue band.

And what a pleasure to have Barfleur back, Visentinis are genuine economy, she most certainly isn’t...

Chris

AEA0049B-9720-4496-A84F-4F4788ABA490.jpeg

70344846-4CCF-4234-BA7E-81C1AC4C6037.jpeg

76166175-BED8-42C2-A6D8-EA3433B223B0.jpeg

Shouldn't the blue stripe be on the bridge above?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, nottingham said:

I saw that too, inventor of the gadget was Scandinavian, don't know where the feature was recorded, or the ships name - they also reckoned up to 20% fuel saving too by gunge removal!  It will be on iplayer shortly I think.

Only thing I’v come across is Keelcrab which is Italian.  

25 minutes ago, jujudu62100 said:

Shouldn't the blue stripe be on the bridge above?

Normandie has it on the same deck as MSM, although strangley CF has it a deck above... so MSM and Normandie have it on the Lifeboat deck, and CF on the deck above

10 hours ago, nottingham said:

If I remember correctly the gadget was filmed by Countryfile at Southampton.

25 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

If I remember correctly the gadget was filmed by Countryfile at Southampton.

That makes sense as the National Oceanography Centre is based there. Ed. 

I’m sure it will be a botch job of sorts - question is whether it is good enough for us not to notice.  They can’t do it properly (with all the welding of logo etc) until she gets to Gdansk.  I wasn’t previously aware of a public date for that, but Tony seems to imply it won’t be until November.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I’m sure it will be a botch job of sorts - question is whether it is good enough for us not to notice.  They can’t do it properly (with all the welding of logo etc) until she gets to Gdansk.  I wasn’t previously aware of a public date for that, but Tony seems to imply it won’t be until November.

Not all the logos have been welded on the side of the ships, they used wrapping (stickers) or even painted on. Wedo Signs did the logo on Armorique in Gdansk, it wasn't welded on. The only welded parts are what is on the funnel, but only applies to funnels with grills (Armorique, Normandie, Pont-Aven).

I didn't imply it wouldn't be until November, read what I posted, I said that BF won't leave it until November to get the new livery done. In other words, it will be done in Cherbourg now, not Gdansk.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

I had assumed they were all stencill-painted or applied using vinyl wrap stickers on the sides and that those on the funnels were on specially adapted boards bolted into place. Ed. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I didn't imply it wouldn't be until November, read what I posted, I said that BF won't leave it until November to get the new livery done. In other words, it will be done in Cherbourg now, not Gdansk.

Tony I did read what you posted.  I cannot believe that your reference to November was just a random date thrown in with no significance.  So it did carry an implication.  (Implications are, by definition, things that are not said but which are alluded to).  I agree that you didn’t state that the refit would be in November, and neither did I claim you did.  But it would be in keeping with the ettiquette of the forum not to tell people to read when they clearly already have. 😉

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Tony I did read what you posted.  I cannot believe that your reference to November was just a random date thrown in with no significance.  So it did carry an implication.  (Implications are, by definition, things that are not said but which are alluded to).  I agree that you didn’t state that the refit would be in November, and neither did I claim you did.  But it would be in keeping with the ettiquette of the forum not to tell people to read when they clearly already have. 😉

I see what you mean, but it was posted on here that Mont St Michel's refit has been postponed until November.

A few more musings after my comments last night about Barfleur - I thought she was looking in excellent shape with lots of new carpet, seats recovered, cabins in great condition and the pillows are the best in the fleet! Ok there’s no longer an à la carte restaurant but on a 4 and a bit hour crossing that’s not really an issue and I had an excellent rack of lamb in the self service. Compared to Connemara or Etretat she is so much more friendly, comfortable, welcoming, even though she’s 15 years older, it was like walking into a comfortable lounge rather than a spartan school dormitory. All credit to BF for bringing both her and Normandie into the 21st century but that’s just my opinion. Tomorrow I’m heading up to Holyhead to catch my nemesis the WB Yeats to Dublin for a meeting with Irish Ferries, back on the Epsilon on Thursday...😳

Fingers crossed storm Brendan will have blown through by then

Chris

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

It's a vinyl wrap, Wedo Signs also did the livery on 'Normandie Express' when she was in Dunkirk.

Exactly. "Pimp my side" as it were. Ed. 

Ed - I know there are some good photos on the forum of the new logo (still grey) being welded onto funnels during last year’s refit season (and some before the new logo was actually revealed).  But I’ve had a hunt through the 2018-19 refit thread and the “new look” thread and can’t find them.  Perhaps someone else will! 😀

7 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Ed - I know there are some good photos on the forum of the new logo (still grey) being welded onto funnels during last year’s refit season (and some before the new logo was actually revealed).  But I’ve had a hunt through the 2018-19 refit thread and the “new look” thread and can’t find them.  Perhaps someone else will! 😀

46460702_1082378945263585_5655016978595708928_n.jpg

46482633_1082378885263591_3707201609952919552_n.jpg

46463376_1082378868596926_4655608527249735680_n.jpg

• Thanks 1