Gareth

BF Refit Season 2019-20

Will the 'Pont-Aven' receive a full re-paint whilst in Gdansk? I know she's in the new livery but it makes sense as she's in dry dock! 

16 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

46460702_1082378945263585_5655016978595708928_n.jpg

46482633_1082378885263591_3707201609952919552_n.jpg

46463376_1082378868596926_4655608527249735680_n.jpg

That funnel..........Looks like they putting an advertising hoarding up on a block of flats

• Haha 3

You know, if they blocked selective slots they could probably play a tune on the funnel with the wind in the right direction. 🎹

1 hour ago, Bf Bretagne said:

Will the 'Pont-Aven' receive a full re-paint whilst in Gdansk? I know she's in the new livery but it makes sense as she's in dry dock! 

Why is she in dry dock? Surely the engine could be done whilst afloat, just with access to the bow or stern doors.

Maybe just taking the opportunity for a routine refit.  On the other hand, might the engine replacement require removal of a prop shaft?  I seem to remember she had a prop shaft issue but can’t remember whether that was fully resolved.

20 minutes ago, Solo said:

Why is she in dry dock? Surely the engine could be done whilst afloat, just with access to the bow or stern doors.

Clearly she's taken MSM's dry dock slot.

There will be time for Mont St Michel to visit a yard when Honfleur arrives. I'd imagine keeping Normandie at Ouistreham for a further few weeks while she heads north won't be too much of a hardship plus BF will gain the benefit of Pont Aven being available over winter 20/21 now rather than being docked herself.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jonno said:

Clearly she's taken MSM's dry dock slot.

There will be time for Mont St Michel to visit a yard when Honfleur arrives. I'd imagine keeping Normandie at Ouistreham for a further few weeks while she heads north won't be too much of a hardship plus BF will gain the benefit of Pont Aven being available over winter 20/21 now rather than being docked herself.

Could be as you say Jonno, will mean PA is available right through next winter not needing a refit, just it's so soon after her last dry docking.

1 minute ago, Solo said:

Could be as you say Jonno, will mean PA is available right through next winter not needing a refit, just it's so soon after her last dry docking.

I know, less than a year isn't cost effective but I'm also wondering whether BF also want to have the sub profins fitted in Santander assessed too and as Gareth says she does have prop shaft issues which will never fully go away.

I don't believe 'Pont-Aven' has taken Mont St Michel's dry dock slot, both ships were originally due their refits in Gdansk, 'Pont-Aven' from 7/1/20 and 'Mont St Michel' from 10/1/20. Something else happen with 'Mont St Michel which made BF decide not to dry dock her, the same reason which I messaged Gareth about before Christmas.

As of today, 'Pont-Aven' is now out of the dry dock.

• Confused 1

So Pont Aven is getting a refit when MSM was due to be in refit  and Isn’t so Pont  Aven is definitely taking up a berth where MSM could be 🤔

Edited by neilcvx
  • Haha 1

Anyway here’s a photo of Normandie Express looking rather swish .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Not necessarily.

Assuming that's a reply to the below from @neilcvx

12 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

So Pont Aven is getting a refit when MSM was due to be in refit  and Isn’t so Pont  Aven is definitely taking up a berth where MSM could be 🤔

• Like 1

We're all speculating but could it be with Pont Aven taking up a berth for longer than intended the shipyard asked BF not to send MSM so they could shuffle other ships around, as I said only speculating not much else to do on a miserable afternoon.

• Like 2

There's potential logic there. I also imagine the PA's costs will be above the normal budget - there's probably going to be some shuffling of ships/docks and finances given how far in advance slots at shipyards can be booked. 

• Like 1

The message I got came from a crew member (I do not intend to name this person) - Quote: "The company would like to limit the losses this year, and therefore decided to reduce the costs of maintenance and technical stops. The Mont St Michel will not go to dry dock as planned". - Nothing to do with the issues on 'Pont-Aven'.

Well it is to do with the Pont as she’s costing the most to repair , an unexpected extra cost , simply they can’t afford to do her and MSM, so I would presume that Pont is even if it is in a roundabout way taking MSM spot .

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

The message I got came from a crew member (I do not intend to name this person) - Quote: "The company would like to limit the losses this year, and therefore decided to reduce the costs of maintenance and technical stops. The Mont St Michel will not go to dry dock as planned". - Nothing to do with the issues on 'Pont-Aven'.

Most companies would want to limit their losses, so it does make sense - on the assumption that if this does materialise they can afford to do without in the long run.

All this raises an interesting side issue - if BF is having to foot the bill for PA’s engine repair then it must follow that the insurance did not cover it.  (In which case, one wonders why not).  If insurance is covering PA’s repair then that can’t be the reason for BF’s reported need to cut losses.

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

All this raises an interesting side issue - if BF is having to foot the bill for PA’s engine repair then it must follow that the insurance did not cover it.  (In which case, one wonders why not).  If insurance is covering PA’s repair then that can’t be the reason for BF’s reported need to cut losses.

I always assumed BF would have to pay for the repair a bit like you would with an out of warranty car.

1 minute ago, neilcvx said:

I always assumed BF would have to pay for the repair a bit like you would with an out of warranty car.

Yes, I guess that depends on whether it is classified as an “accident” or as a result of wear and tear.

• Like 1

I imagine that any cost savings are more to do with the drop in passenger numbers, The enclosed article mentions an overall drop of 6.6% of passengers last summer.

<<This year Brittany Ferries’ summer period (July to September) was hit by an overall 6.6% downturn in passenger numbers. Routes linking Portsmouth, Poole and Plymouth with destinations in France suffered the most.  However, the company believes passengers will return in 2020 and wishes all those operating in the travel sector a brighter year ahead.>>

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/ferry-good-news-for-pets-and-their-people-in-2020/

Edited by David Williams

I would be surprised if insurance covered a mechanical failure without outside cause.

• Like 2