Gareth

BF Refit Season 2019-20

10 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Surprised they need to do this, rather than just using the existing doors.

I wonder if it’s possible that the issue is that they can’t just wheel the engine across the vehicle deck because the vehicle deck is not strong enough to support the weight of the engine?  I’d be surprised, as a full car deck must support a hell of a load, but maybe the pressure exerted by so much weight over a small area might be too great?  I expect Jonno will know whether this is a possible explanation for needing to get the engine out another way.

I would imagine it depends on the configuration of the engines ie 2 per shaft , one inboard one outboard, and if the defective one is the outboard engine then the quickest route would be hole in the side of the ship and straight out.

15 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I wonder if it’s possible that the issue is that they can’t just wheel the engine across the vehicle deck because the vehicle deck is not strong enough to support the weight of the engine?  I’d be surprised, as a full car deck must support a hell of a load, but maybe the pressure exerted by so much weight over a small area might be too great?  I expect Jonno will know whether this is a possible explanation for needing to get the engine out another way.

Honestly? I have no idea why they've cut the hole in her side especially at deck 3. I doubt a 95 tonne M43 engine can be manoeuvred off a floating platform then lowered two decks, there are too many variables. 

Her vehicle deck three plating is designed to be removed behind the deck2 access ramps, lifts and staircase in order to lower plant and gen sets straight down after constructing a gantry crane spanning the width of the vessel.

• Thanks 1

Here's one for you, the removal of MV Columbia's V12 Enterprise engines. each weigh's around 95 tonnes and there's a lot less vehicle deck space than aboard Pont Aven.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

While they are rummaging around in there perhaps they could look for the trolley-token that fell out of my car on PA a couple of years ago and disappeared down a drainage hole on the car deck. Ed.

Aah now you know where it ended up......Burnt beyond use I`m afraid 😁

• Haha 1

I can see a big difference between PA and MV Columbia i.e. the aft ramp or more importantly the absence of a ramp on MV columbia which allows the transfer beams to run all the way from the deck edge to above the enginee room. In the case of PA the aft ramp would have to be either removed or spanned over with long transfer beams from a barge. I would imagine a engine replacement scenario would have been envisaged at design stage with a set protocol e.g. open side hole and transfer beams resting on purposedly strengthened deck structures at these locations.

Edited by crechbleiz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

In the case of PA the aft ramp would have to be either removed or spanned over with long transfer beams from a barge. I would imagine a engine replacement scenario would have been envisaged at design stage with a set protocol e.g. open side hole and transfer beams resting on purposedly strengthened deck structures at these locations.

Access for the lifting beams? That makes sense...

It would need to be a very big hole to get a whole engine crankcase out which would mean cutting through structural hull frames etc.

Here's a question , would it not be better to have the Pont berthed on her port side with the hole opening on to the more stable quay side  for the removal and installation of the engine , instead of  a barge  in the water .

16 minutes ago, Chef said:

Here's a question , would it not be better to have the Pont berthed on her port side with the hole opening on to the more stable quay side  for the removal and installation of the engine , instead of  a barge  in the water .

I thought exactly the same originally but I then guessed that the reason they didn't do that is because she's in a dock which is connected to the open sea (not closed off by gates) and therefore subject to the tides. Ed. 

13 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I thought exactly the same originally but I then guessed that the reason they didn't do that is because she's in a dock which is connected to the open sea (not closed off by gates) and therefore subject to the tides. Ed. 

That makes sense now , so most likely a system using beams from the Pont to a barge , the barge and the Pont rising and dropping with the tide at the same rate .

Edited by Chef

My experience of the tides in the Baltic, around the Malmo area, is that they only change by a few centimetres per cycle but I guess that when you are moving an object that heavy it's difficult to compensate using hydraulics etc., hence the barge. However, I suppose that she might be moved at some point into an enclosed dock and placed the other way round as you suggested. Ed. 

4 hours ago, Chef said:

I thought the same but in the comments above it's been suggested the hole is for the lifting beams to be fitted, so makes more sense.

22 hours ago, Paully said:

Aah now you know where it ended up......Burnt beyond use I`m afraid 😁

Talking of "Chariot" tokens, did you know that Intermarche will give you a plastic token if you ask at the info desk. Its free as well. Don't tell Greta its plastic though! It fits most of the others like Leclerc.

I'm off now

Toddle pip

Yes,  they'll all give you one. Mine was a rather nice Carrefour - Tour de France one I picked up while watching the race go by. Sniff, sniff. Ed. 

I`ve still got my Carrefour `Jeton` acquired back in the 90`s in Eastern France. Still works, I used it Yesterday in our local Lidl and Tesco..😁

And it was metal too so fully compliant with Greta's ethos.

Perhaps they could make me another one out of what's left of PA's engine. Ed. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Careful - they might send you a bill for being the one responsible for wrecking the engine!

3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Careful - they might send you a bill for being the one responsible for wrecking the engine!

Come to think of it, it might not have been PA after all. Ed. 

• Haha 2

Back to PA's hole.  (The new one, that is).  I have to confess to being surprised (but perhaps I shouldn't be) by how far forward it is.  For some reason I always think of the engines as being in the back of the boat rather than the middle.

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

Come to think of it, it might not have been PA after all. Ed. 

Don't tell me - it's coming back now, and you've remembered you dropped it into Normandie's bow thruster!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Don't tell me - it's coming back now, and you've remembered you dropped it into Normandie's bow thruster!

If he gets the bill for the PA`s new engine, he`ll wish it was 😂

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think plastic's ok - just not single use stuff