Gareth

BF Refit Season 2019-20

After further digging, PA's rear ramps and door are rated for 135 tonnes, more than enough for an M43 engine. She's due back in to one of the floating dry docks.

As Ed says there's hardly any tidal movement on the Baltic, in some places there's none at all which is why they're so concerned about the alkalinity being destroyed by scrubber wash water and why they're pushing for more battery/Hybrid & LNG use. It's also why it begins to freeze over so early as there's not a lot of salinity in the Baltic proper.

Another reason I don't think the yard will be planning on delivering the engine through the hole cut in her side is weather. An icy snow covered barge which would become unstable as soon as the engine moves isn't a place I'd want to be.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Back to PA's hole.  (The new one, that is).  I have to confess to being surprised (but perhaps I shouldn't be) by how far forward it is.  For some reason I always think of the engines as being in the back of the boat rather than the middle.

spacer.png

A helpful imagine to illustrate the positioning.

From: https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/pont-aven-will-sail-to-brest-for-steering-gear-repairs/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks SC.  Actually the side-on schematic fits more with what I had envisaged.  The photos that were posted makes the hole area look further forward than it is.

If @scarlton's image was the portside, it would be spot on, the hole in the side has been cut over & above the orange section (Engine Room). I still believe, as I was reliably informed, that the engine is being put in via the car deck and lifted in from there. The hole in the side is for part of the lifting gear to assist with the lowering of the engine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

If @scarlton's image was the portside, it would be spot on, the hole in the side has been cut over & above the orange section (Engine Room). I still believe, as I was reliably informed, that the engine is being put in via the car deck and lifted in from there. The hole in the side is for part of the lifting gear to assist with the lowering of the engine.

Yey, clarity at last, cheers Tony!

I believe my trolley-token to be about here, as shown below. The problem is I can't recall if it's on the port or starboard side. Ed. 

sketch-1579893833298.jpg

• Haha 4

So when we were stuck on deck2 with the hatch not releasing 18 months ago, that's what caused the problem.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Solo said:

So when we were stuck on deck2 with the hatch not releasing 18 months ago, that's what caused the problem.

If you've damaged my token...

Ed. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

If you've damaged my token...

Ed. 

It was the engineer with the big hammer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I believe my trolley-token to be about here, as shown below. The problem is I can't recall if it's on the port or starboard side. Ed. 

sketch-1579893833298.jpg

I’ve sorted it for you , should be just forward of the scaffolding now .D9F7A444-73E1-4BF9-8E35-8691461CC54F.thumb.jpeg.c1a04d60d38c5e9535c5d5ad15678b94.jpeg

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Brilliant photos Tony.

I wonder if it’s someone from BF taking them, making sure it all goes to plan, they must be apprehensive after last seasons debacle.

• Like 1

Well we all got that one wrong, they did use the hole in the side. Perhaps it was easier than laying rails down to slide through the stern doors.

1 hour ago, Penlan said:

Any sign of a trolley token?

No but I've now set my sights on a 6-cylinder coffee table. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Geezer said:

I see my old friend Ulysses in the background, what's the craic there ? is she in need of some TLC ?

She arrived the day after Pont-Aven.

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, but this is new to me.  I see that, once MSM returns to service (on 3 Feb), Armorique is staying on the Ouistreham route while Normandie comes off service for a week.

That's correct and I think I speculated previously that it is perhaps a crew work-up week for them to prepare Honfleur. Ed. 

22 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere, but this is new to me.  I see that, once MSM returns to service (on 3 Feb), Armorique is staying on the Ouistreham route while Normandie comes off service for a week.

Indeed, it was on the list that a posted last year. She's just having the usual maintenance and hopefully a touch up of her paintwork.

Edited by TonyMWeaver