Gareth

BF Refit Season 2019-20

2 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Yeah, 1 a year for the next 4 years. That would be a joy eh!

I would hope they are giving the other 3 a good overhaul if it’s not too draughty for them to do it that is .

• Like 1

Just now, Gareth said:

Once she’s back at Plymouth full-time, she’ll be able to get three of those in per week if BF pulls out of Cork!  And a nice little dash across to Roscoff (or St Malo! 😉) on the remaining day! 😀

I didn't think of that quite shocking suggestion, but I love the optimism:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, George A'Court said:

Agree entirely with last post, the new engine would have undergone full bench testing to ensure performance parameters were achieved prior to it leaving the manufacturers. Ideally they would want it to be shipped as complete as possible ie with cylinder heads fitted but all depends on size of opening. In any case engine manufacture would be in attendance whilst the replacement takes place and subsequent initial testing insitu. 

One heck of a bench

'Normandie' has just left Portsmouth, bound for Cherbourg where she will spend the next week undergoing her annual maintenance. 'Mont St Michel' returns to service on Monday morning at 08:30 when she departs for Portsmouth.

Probably a first as far as I can remember, Normandie and MSM pass each other - in Cherbourg harbour!

Chris

0B0A735C-C5F1-44CC-98CC-E67269293464.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am faintly disappointed in the work done on the MSM. There are obvious rust marks, and other marks where the paintwork is very slapdash. The stern and bow doors are very obvious. Here are a couple of photographs.

_MG_9256.jpg

_MG_9260.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I was on Normandie last night. A very light load with only 10 cars. The rest of deck 5 was taken up with crew cars. The crew were busy packing up last night but still had a couple of bottles of red available. It looks like there’s going to be some work done on deck 9 as they were putting covers over the glass of Le Kiosk. 

this morning was a bit of a palaver though. It seemed they hadn’t taken into account the visor gate on Normandie’s now and count lower the link span with a bit of head scratching and deciding to let the lorries off the lower deck first to perhaps let the level rise a bit. 35 minutes later and we were off!

B3C08EFB-6F9F-4D5F-B6F0-EB26D8574E49.jpeg

Think MSM looks better than Bretagne's temp job. Will no doubt be done properly in the winter. Assuming Honfleur arrives by then 🤪

• Like 2

I always thought that MSM would suit a blue stripe. She looks great!

Is that all cruise ferries done now? The livery definitely suits the newer vessels. My personal ranking: Armorique (Best), MSM, PA, Barfleur, CF, Normandie, Bretagne (Worst, because of the removal of the iconic forward stripes). 

On 27/01/2020 at 19:19, Jim said:

The mute button will do you wonders...

I note MSM keeps the blue design on her stern. Still wish they hasn't taken the Normandie's off

I noticed this too! But I am glad it has stayed

Last member of the fleet off for refit shortly will be Etretat.  Off to Astanders for a month.  Will be interesting to see if she gets (some version of) the new livery this time around.  Unusual for her to go for a full dry docking only a year after the last one, so maybe this time a full repaint is on the agenda(?).

Upon Etretat’s return from her refit (early March), BDS will retire from the BF fleet.  Her sailings will be operated by Connemara through the summer season (or, presumably, until Honfleur arrives).

• Like 1

I'll see what i can find out but as far as i'm aware, there were only 7 of the fleet to get the livery, Pont-Aven, Armorique, Normandie, and Bretagne (2018/2019 refit season). Normandie Express (September 2019). Barfleur and Mont St Michel' (2019/2020 refit season). No mention of Baie de Seine or Etretat.

Do i guess that Etretat gets painted plain white with the new livery, like Kerry? I'm not sure. Connemara didn't get the livery, maybe Etretat will end up looking like her.

Isn't BDS going anyway? Think you're right though Tony,  I don't recall seeing any renders of the Etretat or Connemara in a revised livery... Maybe just an update to the logo.

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Isn't BDS going anyway? .

Yes, but when BdS had her last refit, there was a discussion about whether she would get the livery then although i already said she wasn't.

20 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Yes, but when BdS had her last refit, there was a discussion about whether she would get the livery then although i already said she wasn't.

(Not quite sure what this is getting at tbh, but if there's one thing we do well here it's discussion and there's no reason for one person saying something to preclude others from saying what they think)

• Like 4

Just heard from a contact of mine from 'Connemara', saying that 'Etretat' is not supposed to be getting the new livery. He didn't say whether the vessel will remain the same or be changed to look like 'Connemara'.

One would assume the same as it would be rather daft to re-paint a massive chunk of it and in doing so not re-livery it.

Back on board MSM for the afternoon crossing back home, the aforementioned bulkhead still rust streaked so maybe that’s next week’s job....

It’s a Tuesday afternoon sailing, first week of February and surprisingly on top of 50 or so cars she’s packed with freight, so plenty of Eastern European/Iberian conversation. An announcement over the tannoy before we left - the conveniences (toilets) in the cabins are temporarily not working, we do apologise for the inconvenience. Either the 4 week holiday in Cherbourg has allowed everything to dry up, or - no I can’t go there...🤣

Enjoying a delicious curry d’agneau in the self service and there is a gentle aroma of effluent (not from the curry), my guess is things are on the move again.

Chris 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Enjoying a delicious curry d’agneau in the self service and there is a gentle aroma of effluent (not from the curry), my guess is things are on the move again.

The only ferry company which gives you the impression of being in France before you actually arrive. What could be more enjoyable?  Ed. 

• Haha 5

Normandie is over at the eastern end of Cherbourg harbour.  Very usual.

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Normandie is over at the eastern end of Cherbourg harbour.  Very usual.

Normandie has been that side before.

13 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Normandie has been that side before.

Not that I’ve seen, but I’ll take your word for it.  Normally they go somewhere in the central basin.

Looks like a new jetty extension has been built, where she is, just north of the car carrier linkspan in the general cargo area of the port.

1976DB35-AE77-45A7-8AEA-317AF027DE74.png

C785A872-9E45-4FED-B1BC-DA292323BCC5.png

Didn't they do a huge reclamation of land in the port about 5 or 6 years ago? Most of that is pretty new.

Capture.JPG