Gareth

BF Refit Season 2019-20

23 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Normandie Express' in Dunkirk, photo thanks to Julien Carpentier.

The new Brittany Ferries livery has now been applied. Although it's not fully visible due to being in the dry dock, it's easy enough to understand what it looks like.

Notice the new 'Welcome Onboard' signage on the viewing deck at the stern of the vessel.

NEX.jpg

As I mentioned on facebook, we're being teased now! Was her name always written so high up on her bow, can't remember?

Eh, is that WBY's funnel in the picture too?

On 13/10/2019 at 15:10, TonyMWeaver said:

‘Cap Finistere’ 05/11/2019 - 26/11/2019 (Santander, Spain)

On 13/10/2019 at 15:10, TonyMWeaver said:

'Connemara' 31/10/19 - 13/11/19 (Santander, Spain)

They're cutting the dry dock time a bit tight aren't they, there's not much space down that end to play musical ferries.

27 minutes ago, jonno said:

As I mentioned on facebook, we're being teased now! Was her name always written so high up on her bow, can't remember?

Eh, is that WBY's funnel in the picture too?

Yes her name has always been that high up Jonno....And that certainly is WB Y’s funnel too

Chris

D3390D9B-5502-4543-8F9D-1638EAC8453F.jpeg

096FD628-AD31-45E3-92F0-55B762E0C7B1.jpeg

2 hours ago, jonno said:

They're cutting the dry dock time a bit tight aren't they, there's not much space down that end to play musical ferries.

Don't forget, these days are last day in service until returning to service dates. As previously mentioned on October 2nd.

Also, Astander has a lay by berth too..

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 1

Worth also remembering that there's always a day or two spent destoring before going to the yard, and re-storing before re-entering service.  CF and Connemara will do that in Santander (rather than Cherbourg where the rest of the fleet tends to do this if heading to Poland) so there will be no need for delivery passages.  But nevertheless, storing and destoring (as well as possible need for sea trials) will reduce the apparent overlap of the dry docking period to no more than 4 days.  And, as Tony (very sensibly and non-stupidly) said, there is also work that can be done alongside afloat at the start/end of the drydock period.  So it shouldn't be a problem.

59 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Worth also remembering that there's always a day or two spent destoring before going to the yard, and re-storing before re-entering service.  CF and Connemara will do that in Santander (rather than Cherbourg where the rest of the fleet tends to do this if heading to Poland) so there will be no need for delivery passages.  But nevertheless, storing and destoring (as well as possible need for sea trials) will reduce the apparent overlap of the dry docking period to no more than 4 days.  And, as Tony (very sensibly and non-stupidly) said, there is also work that can be done alongside afloat at the start/end of the drydock period.  So it shouldn't be a problem.

The Astander website has a few decent images BF ships, Bretagne plus Cap & Barfy berthed either side of the quay.

• Like 3

'Normandie Express' left the dry dock this morning at around 10:00, and is now docked alongside Quai de Panama. She's still scheduled to depart Dunkirk on October 26th.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Unless they decide to do berthing trials in St Helier and St Peter Port. Just in case. Although that's probably a stupid idea. Ed. 

Very.

40 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Unless they decide to do berthing trials in St Helier and St Peter Port. Just in case. Although that's probably a stupid idea. Ed. 

Well, the forum does seem to be full of them!  But, yes, it's ridiculous.  No need - we know Liberation fits so NEX is bound to.  And there will be plenty of time for that after her 2020 microseason finishes - by which time BF will probably have done its due diligence and Jersey's new harbour will have been built.  But I'd better stop in case anyone thought I was being sensible.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Maybe we should have a “stupid “ reaction along with the like and other ones .

Being serious for a change, I would trust that we never have anything like that. Message boards that allow a dislike as well as a like can lead to a very negative atmosphere.

• Like 3

On 06/10/2019 at 22:40, jonno said:

It's another dedicated deep water freight berth capable of handling a car carrier, although Grimaldi are looking at shifting their PCC & PCTC business to Dublin along with their Vigo business as part of the MoS link... which Cork has never enjoyed.

Gareth I've never understood why if Tivoli is being relocated lock stock & barrel to Ringaskiddy why a new passenger terminal and linkspan couldn't be constructed on the land and incorporated into the the retail & recreational facilities being built on the old container port... if deep sea freight shipping can get up there surely a 200-215m passenger ferry can?

On the soon to be old site the PoCC are also building a new rail link too, again surely ideal for attracting passengers to Cork central and beyond?

My reading of it is that there's not much appetite for RoPax activity at Cork, it's all about expanding freight, exploiting the grants on offer and the EU funding involved - they're not being offered incentives to carry people.

It's one of the reasons why I feel Rosslare will have a greater role to play in the future. It's already designated a Europort, the infrastructure is being modernised and expanded too.  A new M/N11 link is being constructed as part of the Euro E01 route from Larne, port hard standing is being increased and they already have berthing not too far off what Portsmouth offers.

I know there's a lot of speculation surrounding Stena's proposed enlarging of their Mersey based Visentini's making them both very similar to their E-Flexers, I wouldn't be surprised if they used them to begin their own Spanish link from Rosslare.

Quoting you here Jonno but this is only partially a reply to that quote as such

"Ferry" trade at Cork doesn't appear to be big business.  The port is busy with plenty of other trade though (including trade cars, of course).  It doesn't make sense for them to invest money in something they aren't making a lot out of at the expense of things they are.  Compared to Rosslare and Dublin, which have multiple passenger and freight sailings daily, they are a bit of an also ran I suppose.  A big change from their historical position!  If your Ireland to France sailing is cancelled, it is relatively simple to do a landbridge from Rosslare or Dublin.  A bit of a pain, but not as much as having to drive to a different port to do the same as is the case with Cork.  Freight likes reliability and the Cork-Spain service needs to prove it can deliver.  Dublin is by far the biggest population centre in Ireland (and by extension destination and origin of goods), and especially with road improvements Rosslare is just as close as Cork but already has the infrastructure in place (and the ferry trade is big business for that port compared to Cork).  Some predicted by moving to Dublin from Rosslare Irish Ferries would lose trade, but from the figures I've seen that's anything but the case.

Everything I hear about the enlarged Visentini's seems to point to them going to The Baltic.  For Stena to start a service to Spain it would need to make commercial sense versus using the tonnage elsewhere.  Operators aren't exactly clamouring to set up new services from Ireland to Spain (or France for that matter).  I'd suggest there is already over capacity given much of what trade does go to Spain passes through France - BF are having to build up direct Ireland to Spain trade from scratch after all, and from a haulage perspective the direct route removes all possibility of picking up or dropping additional loads en route as well.  Thats before you even consider one cancellation puts you back half a week or having to take a lengthy detour!  Margins don't appear to be huge either (remember LD Lines who carried good loads but couldn't survive without subsidy, though obviously the routing was different and they did have a lot of bad luck with regards weather and reliability).  It's worth remembering that much of what moves between Ireland and France (including via the land bridge) isn't going to or originating from France but the countries further east.

On a related note, the proposed competing Cork to Spain service from Vigo seems to be just that - a proposal.  Reading the interviews with the company concerned (the port management company...) it seems to be mostly about poaching Uk-Spain trade from Santander.  In any case, the company supposedly providing the tonnage (Grimaldi) say they have never heard of this proposal!!!  Nor does it seem they have even approached the Port of Cork :/.  Theres also been some talk of a Rosslare to Le Havre service, but that seems to be more of an idea to perhaps extract EU subsidy and increase votes in local elections than something that is going to happen any time soon.  Who knows what the future holds mind, but I can't see Stena or anyone else starting an Ireland to Spain only service unless Brittany Ferries are consistently achieving high load factors.

EDIT:  Apologies for continuing the off-topic discussion.  Admin please move if there is somewhere more appropriate.

Edited by tarbyonline

8 hours ago, David Williams said:

Being serious for a change, I would trust that we never have anything like that. Message boards that allow a dislike as well as a like can lead to a very negative atmosphere.

Indeed.  And, being equally serious, it’s not going to happen on the grounds (as everybody is aware) that antagonism/rudeness towards other posters (including calling them “stupid”) is an infringement of forum protocols.  I am presuming that everyone with a shred of discernment is aware that Neil’s “suggestion” was very much tongue-in-cheek.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank You for sending me this photo earlier @jujudu62100, along with all the other photos you have sent me from Dunkerque. It's much appreciated.

'Normandie Express' leaves Dunkerque at 09:00 next Wednesday (23rd October) bound for Le Havre, arriving at 16:30 where she will be laid up in her usual spot in Darse de l'Ocean.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Thank You for sending me this photo earlier @jujudu62100, along with all the other photos you have sent me from Dunkerque. It's much appreciated.

'Normandie Express' leaves Dunkerque at 09:00 next Wednesday (23rd October) bound for Le Havre, arriving at 16:30 where she will be laid up in her usual spot in Darse de l'Ocean.

Sounds like this was better suited to a DM?

Yes she's belting along at 32 knots - a silly question maybe but why dry dock now and give her a fresh coat of paint, only to sit in Le Havre for over 6 months exposed to the winter elements..?

Chris O.o

7 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Yes she's belting along at 32 knots - a silly question maybe but why dry dock now and give her a fresh coat of paint, only to sit in Le Havre for over 6 months exposed to the winter elements..?

Chris O.o

She's aluminium so won't corrode and get ugly streaks down her sides. If there is any algae growing on her come May they can just wash her down. Ed. 

23 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

She's aluminium so won't corrode and get ugly streaks down her sides. If there is any algae growing on her come May they can just wash her down. Ed. 

Sounds like my missus😂

• Haha 3