Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TonyMWeaver

'Visborg' Hull Breached

Recommended Posts

Ferry 'Visborg' collided with the pier in Nynashamn, Sweden, at around 12:00 UTC on July 29th and reportedly sustained a hull breach in stern area. The ship’s scheduled trips to Visby were cancelled, 'Visborg' is to undergo repairs. As of 14:00 UTC, 'Visborg' remains alongside in Nynashamn.
 

Capture.JPG

 

http://maritimebulletin.net/2019/07/29/ferry-breached-in-nynashamn-sweden/?fbclid=IwAR2D6wsAgoO1Hc87BzwPzIyXK-4xKQKUYB1CVwUCRZ1dNCUZ7YIZoltEqP4

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Ferry 'Visborg' collided with the pier in Nynashamn, Sweden, at around 12:00 UTC on July 29th and reportedly sustained a hull breach in stern area. The ship’s scheduled trips to Visby were cancelled, 'Visborg' is to undergo repairs. As of 14:00 UTC, 'Visborg' remains alongside in Nynashamn.
 

Capture.JPG

 

http://maritimebulletin.net/2019/07/29/ferry-breached-in-nynashamn-sweden/?fbclid=IwAR2D6wsAgoO1Hc87BzwPzIyXK-4xKQKUYB1CVwUCRZ1dNCUZ7YIZoltEqP4

I always wondered, if a ferry like the Visborg, would be suitable to replace the Bretagne? Any thoughts? I mean in terms of the interior of the ship.

Edited by MichaelBF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MichaelBF said:

I mean in terms of the interior of the ship

The bits that aren't full of water,  you mean? 😉 Ed. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once upon a time, the ferries used to hit the rocks all the time at St Malo!  (I remember BF had a horrendous time back in the 70s when they first started operating to St Malo.  Sealink had similar problems at St Helier.  Armorique and Earl William almost spent more time being repaired than in service for a while.  GPS has improved things a lot!).  So she’d probably be eminently suitable! 🤣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MichaelBF said:

I always wondered, if a ferry like the Visborg, would be suitable to replace the Bretagne? Any thoughts? I mean in terms of the interior of the ship.

I think there would be riots if the Visborg, Visby or Gotland turned up on the St Malo run 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You say that hhv, but if memory serves, BF did once charter a Gotland.  Can’t remember whether is was for Caen or St Malo, but it was one of them (sailing opposite the main vessel on whatever route it was).  St Malo rings more of a bell than Caen....and if I was to put a date on it I’d think it was around 1988, give or take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Gareth said:

You say that hhv, but if memory serves, BF did once charter a Gotland.  Can’t remember whether is was for Caen or St Malo, but it was one of them (sailing opposite the main vessel on whatever route it was).  St Malo rings more of a bell than Caen....and if I was to put a date on it I’d think it was around 1988, give or take. 

Yes it was the Gotland of 1973, now the Corsica Victoria. It was in the early days of Ouistreham when the DDN couldn't cope alone.

The 1973-built Gotland and her sister were stunning ships, all Swedish designer furniture and shag-pile carpets. All cabins were en-suite and above the waterline which was almost unprecedented. And there was lots and lots of orange - orange carpets, orange seating, orange light fittings. Pictures on board her as built are a sight to behold. As well as a rather lovely lido area (which only the Gotland had because she was intended for out-of-season cruises) they also had a below the car deck nightclub which remains, unused but completely intact, on the two ships today, right down to the original carpets, orange glow lights, button-down red leather seating and framed Swedish prints on the walls.

The next generation Visby (and the never-used Gotland) became the Felicity and Peter Wessel and were not quite as swish but still very impressive.

Then came the wilderness years when Gotlandsbolaget lost their franchise and the Gotland of 1996 was, and is, an icky and unimaginative budget ro-pax built for the charter market.

And now the current generation(s) of fast ro-paxes - very well done but essentially hundreds of reclining seats with a self-service bistro area the only change of scenery. I haven't done the Visborg yet and by all accounts she is rather nicer but the formula is essentially the same as her two predecessors.

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/extra_bilder/gotland_2003_omb_1.htm

So whilst the Gotland of 1973 provided an excellent experience for her era, the current ones wouldn't quite pass muster in their current incarnation for the prospective cruise ferry buyer. 

(And I haven't even mentioned the Gotland of 1964 which briefly operated for Sealink at Weymouth in 1985 and the pictures of whose handover to Moroccan owners in 1987 are the most harrowing thing you'll see on Fakta om Fartyg).

Edited by hhvferry
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...