Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

One star rating for BF on Trustpilot

Trust Pilot has been like that for years. LOTS of rants on there about the diversions from weather, strikes, and so on. Hardly ever a positive review. It seems to me to be far more negatively skewed and more of a 'rant board' than a true cross-section of reports of people's experience as Trip Advisor is.

Whilst I am sure that the majority of Customers love BF and keep returning, the issues raised are real ones and are usually due to BF's inability to cope with a number of cancellations or changes at the same time, their method of letting people know a sailing at a time helps their call centre, however winds up Customers, 

I admit I have only had a skim of this but it seems the main burden of complaints surrounds poor customer service interaction and lack of information when there is a problem with a vessel or a particular crossing. I have been a member of BFE, I am staggered to find, since 2004 and I have to say over that period BF have seldom, if ever, covered themselves with glory in communicating with their customers in those circumstances. I know it is difficult but they seem to get it wrong time after time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

The rant about knifes and a 3 year ban is the best review 😂😂

I have never in 14yrs been asked if I have small “pointy” objects about my person! I always have a tiny Swiss knife with scissors, 2inch blade, screw driver, tweezer, toothpick and nail file in my pocket for a multitude of purposes. Maybe I should declare it as an offensive weapon and hope they won’t ban me!!!

17 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

I have never in 14yrs been asked if I have small “pointy” objects about my person! I always have a tiny Swiss knife with scissors, 2inch blade, screw driver, tweezer, toothpick and nail file in my pocket for a multitude of purposes. Maybe I should declare it as an offensive weapon and hope they won’t ban me!!!

I also have carried a swiss army knife for many years but unlike JohnMustow have been asked the question on a few occasions at ferry ports. I remember waiting to board the IOM Ferry in my car and owned up to the question of having a knife on my person - a surprised Port officer came up with the solution that I should place it in the glove box …. which of course I did. I also take it with me on cruises and only one occasion when returning to the ship from a tender it was taken off me.... at the end of the voyage I went to collect it and was amazed to see at least 300 other swiss army knives awaiting collection.

1 hour ago, Manxscorpio said:

Yes - quite a few and all with high ratings - take a look 

I’m ok I only look for when I’m going to new places.

Does anybody whose booking a holiday actually go to Trustpilot? I personally only use Tripadvisor or Google maps.

I'd never even heard of Trustpilot until this morning!

It takes a while for Tripadvisor ratings to adjust when things change, when there are years worth of reviews.  So I'd expect BF to stay high in Tripadvisor for some time.  But the theme of the company not being what it used to be is a recurring one, and fits in with observations that have been made on here about things like cleanliness, website, and the ability of customer service to cope well with large-volume issues.  In retrospect I suspect that they will view their involvement with the HMG scheme, and messing so many customers around with re-arranged sailings, as having been a mistake in PR terms.  The issues with Pont Aven were very unfortunate and outside BFs control (and it is hard to see how they could have responded to that situation better when it comes to operational provision), but coming on the back of the discontent already caused by the March-onwards late timetable changes was very unfortunate.

I've read through all the pretty dire comments and one thing that was often mentioned was the obligation to drive up from Spain through France to get home in time for work or other commitments. It reminded me of a discussion we had back in the Spring when everyone was thinking about getting International Driving Permits. I got both just in case (as I might need the French one depending on what happens and we might also go to Spain in the Autumn) as did others on here. The thing is that BF really will need to issue advice on the subject if those permits become necessary as anyone stranded in Spain will be unable to get one valid for France one outside the UK. If your flight is cancelled and you are rerouted through a third country for which you have no visa then as long as you stay airside you are fine. That system obviously does not work when it comes to ferries. They may have to ask for proof of your IDP number and expiry date when booking a trip just in case.  Ed. 

Trustpilot itself has recently come under fire for allowing fake reviews to be posted.

However, looking at those comments about BF and from recent discussions on here there do seem to be the typical hallmarks of cost cutting in many areas, cleaning, meals, maintenance etc. Customer service has traditionally been their strong point but one gets the impression that staffing reductions may have significantly compromised their capacity to cope with abnormal circumstances such as the PA breakdown piled on top of all the booking changes that resulted from the UK Government contract.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The thing is that BF really will need to issue advice on the subject if those permits become necessary as anyone stranded in Spain will be unable to get one valid for France one outside the UK.

The clue is in the name. INTERNATIONAL Driving Licence. The one I got recently will be just as useful as the one I used to drive in Spain Morocco, Turkey, Bulgaria etc. many years ago.

Crikey! - just read some of those tweets - don't ever let him join this forum, the guy needs a personal 1:1 moderator 24/7!  I think he probably has a price in mind to shut him up.  Reminds me of the case in USA when a guy stood on top of a dome  topped fridge to change a light bulb, slipped and was injured.  He successfully sued Kelvinator because it did not say in the fridge user manual that you shouldn't stand on it ….. A sign of the times with the blame and claim culture?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobCrox said:

The clue is in the name. INTERNATIONAL Driving Licence. The one I got recently will be just as useful as the one I used to drive in Spain Morocco, Turkey, Bulgaria etc. many years ago.

There are different types of IDP, each valid for different countries. Spain requires a different IDP to France - although it seems that Spain have some mechanisms in place and an IDP is not required until after 31 July 2020 in the event of a no deal, whereas France will require one as soon as a no deal occurs.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

5 minutes ago, Paully said:

This idiot is one passenger BF can very well do without. So glad he`s going to inflict his foul mouth on some other public transport operator.

Seconded.  And he won't get very far if he tries to infiltrate BFE either.

1 hour ago, BobCrox said:

That’s not the advice the British Government are giving out:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

(Check Which Licence you will Need).

For France you will need an IDP 1968 and for Spain IDP 1949. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Paully said:

This idiot is one passenger BF can very well do without. So glad he`s going to inflict his foul mouth on some other public transport operator.

There are only 5 members in the Facebook group, 2 of which are his and I bet the other 3 are fake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is one long article on Trustpilot which is a little too close to the lower end of experience of BF, but most of it is exaggerated by events which are more or less out of their control.

I have always found Trustpilot to be more of a credability tool for the site - i.e. - is the domain legit, how long has it been there, are they gonna scam me... etc.

8 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I've read through all the pretty dire comments and one thing that was often mentioned was the obligation to drive up from Spain through France to get home in time for work or other commitments. It reminded me of a discussion we had back in the Spring when everyone was thinking about getting International Driving Permits. I got both just in case (as I might need the French one depending on what happens and we might also go to Spain in the Autumn) as did others on here. The thing is that BF really will need to issue advice on the subject if those permits become necessary as anyone stranded in Spain will be unable to get one valid for France one outside the UK. If your flight is cancelled and you are rerouted through a third country for which you have no visa then as long as you stay airside you are fine. That system obviously does not work when it comes to ferries. They may have to ask for proof of your IDP number and expiry date when booking a trip just in case.  Ed. 

Ed, I think this is the most recent from HMG.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit-international-driving-permits

• Thanks 1