Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

One star rating for BF on Trustpilot

I note there are a few complaining about not receiving any compensation due to PA's incident(s). I'm sure a BFE member posted something as to why this is... only to be informed that the information given was completely inaccurate... Still no payout, funny that?

1 hour ago, jonno said:

This is looking a lot more reasonable, however it does highlight the importance of switching to a photo card driving licence if using the old paper one. Now all we need is for France to take a reasonable approach !

54 minutes ago, David Williams said:

This is looking a lot more reasonable, however it does highlight the importance of switching to a photo card driving licence if using the old paper one. Now all we need is for France to take a reasonable approach !

I didn't think it was an option anymore. When I had to resit my test in 2010 I'm sure I was issued a plastic licence as standard. Looking at the photocard I have now, issued after moving in 2015, I see they are now only valid for 10 years which seems a bit of a swizz... I mean, I'm as good looking and debonair as I was at 17 back in '85 so why they need a new photo I'll never know.😉

One of the main moans has been the transfer of Portsmouth-Santander sailings to Plymouth, which BF are advising customer in tranches, so unless you follow the website or these forums you only get to know a few days before your trip. Also BF don't have the staff to handle major problems. Over here in Ireland the Cork office couldn't cope when the PA had problems; they closed the phone lines down and lock the doors at one point. Give them credit, in recent weeks all affected customers have had a long apologetic email, and over and above refunds, alternative routes, etc. they are offering the equivalent of 25% of the ruined booking on future trips.

I assume there are companies which exist to provide rapid-response call-centre services to other firms in a crisis situation. Not every company has the resources to employ a team of operators just in case of problems and they still need to be able to sell tickets to new customers as well. Judging by the comments posted on Trustpilot, and what we know from people on this forum, the resources BF made available were totally inadequate proportional to the number of passengers affected. And at the same time they had most of PA'S crew not working and who could have been tasked with manning the phonelines, assuming they were trained for it (probably not). I'd be interested to know if any of those forced to drive up or down through France to their final destination actually found the experience less taxing than anticipated and would happily do the same again. As the timetables for next summer are not yet available, anyone wishing to book the same villa or appartment for May or June next year might need to make a decision now to guarantee a reservation rather than risk waiting until October. Ed. 

• Like 1

But would BF really want to outsource its customer relations?  It is becoming clear to me that BF customer service is second-to-none when dealing with individual issues but that the large-scale ones, involving many customers at the same time, are the ones where they are found wanting.  That must purely be a resourcing thing (and also management policy on how customers are to be contacted).  It won’t be for lack of training, or willingness to help, on the part of customer service.  And, whatever the issue, I’d rather deal with BF customer service staff than some outsourcing company.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gareth said:

But would BF really want to outsource its customer relations?  It is becoming clear to me that BF customer service is second-to-none when dealing with individual issues but that the large-scale ones, involving many customers at the same time, are the ones where they are found wanting.  That must purely be a resourcing thing (and also management policy on how customers are to be contacted).  It won’t be for lack of training, or willingness to help, on the part of customer service.  And, whatever the issue, I’d rather deal with BF customer service staff than some outsourcing company.

Out of interest, does anyone think there are other travel companies who cope better with large scale issues? BA are normally good, but really struggle when Heathrow is shut for any period of time.

There is a balance to be struck but a bit of capacity in reserve plus willingness to pay generous overtime would usually be sufficient to cover most unexpected eventualities. Reserve capacity can be increased by taking staff off less vital tasks temporarily.

I have never thought it a good idea to outsource your core functions, you are then at the mercy of a third party who can never be as committed to your interests as you are and customer relations and support is beyond all doubt a BF core function.

• Like 2

Hang on - BF and Condor can’t both be the worst shipping company on the planet - which one is it?! 🤣