Sign in to follow this  
Penlan

What happened to Red Cash

Coming up through St Pol today, I was just going to pull in when I noticed Red Cash wine seemed to be closed and the site for sale.

Is this another Brexit casualty??

Rhys

Once Irish Ferries abandoned the Rosslare-Roscoff route Red Cash announced they were opening a branch in Cherbourg. We're not sure where it is. Noticed the Roscoff outlet was shut in May. Seems Brittany Ferries customers don't spend like the Irish, but there again the tax on booze over here in the Emerald Isle horrendous.

6 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

Once Irish Ferries abandoned the Rosslare-Roscoff route Red Cash announced they were opening a branch in Cherbourg. We're not sure where it is. Noticed the Roscoff outlet was shut in May. Seems Brittany Ferries customers don't spend like the Irish, but there again the tax on booze over here in the Emerald Isle horrendous.

I had heard that the owner passed on and his next of kin didn't want to carry on. Not sure if that is correct or not.

However - WBS has an outlet in Cherbourg too now. WBS is by far the best thing in Roscoff :)

• Like 1

I will have to be careful here, no advertising on BFE Forums allowed, otherwise I'll be moderated or even banned...O.o!

Jean Lagree ran Red Cash successfully until November 2015. He was a sharp, smart and clever businessman who understood the Cross Channel drinks market and the business was very profitable and popular with both Brits and Irish alike, but with wine appreciation (and probably consumption) increasing dramatically over the last decade the market has changed completely since the early days following the European Single Market came into force on the 1st January 1993. For the next 15 years nipping across to France to buy booze became an institution and Calais in particular boomed with a vast range of discount outlets appearing from nowhere, some perfectly reputable, others less so.  

But the financial crash of 2007 and rapid slide in the value of Sterling changed the landscape forever and the bottom literally fell out of the market, although there was still business to be had if you were sensible. Jean then passed on Red Cash on to his son Romain, who unfortunately inherited a company that had been declining fast over the years but still remained profitable thanks to prudent cost cutting. Where Jean was to my mind slightly unfair was he retained ownership of the premises and charged Romain a top whack rent. Gone were the days when you could sell virtually any old rubbish as long as it was cheap - customers have become more demanding, and rightly so, wanting quality and value in equal measure, and with turnover dropping like a stone, the French banking system (heavily monitored by the Banque de France)  were alerted and seriously reduced his borrowing capacity and consequent ability to purchase fresh stock. 

I've experienced this downward spiral of increasingly painful misery myself here over the years, it's not nice, will leave some nasty scars and I personally feel sorry for Romain, but the writing has been on the wall since mid 2017. He went into voluntary liquidation at the end of last year and the business was deemed not viable in the long term and closed just a few months later. As far as I'm aware Jean is very much alive and kicking, making money from property rental and development and still based in Carentec.

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Liked as a reader of the forum (thanks for the insight Chris).

As a moderator - are you sure that there’s nothing in what you’ve posted there that is not in the public domain that Jean/Romain would take issue with being made public?

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I've experienced this downward spiral of increasingly painful misery myself here over the years, it's not nice

On the plus side Chris you've gained another punter as my missus is now a big fan as are her colleagues who invaded our house to help consume the stuff, ( I hid in the man cave). Me I can't really touch it... any chance you could stock Schweppes Agrum in bottles or cans as I need an excuse for a trip on Barfy...

21 hours ago, Gareth said:

Liked as a reader of the forum (thanks for the insight Chris).

As a moderator - are you sure that there’s nothing in what you’ve posted there that is not in the public domain that Jean/Romain would take issue with being made public?

If you take a look online Gareth it's all there, I checked before posting just to be sure. It even shows how much Romain paid for the business but I thought that was one detail too many...

Thanks for your concern anyway

Chris

Ok, thanks Chris, just wanted to make sure (though I needn’t have worried!).  Very interesting and informative post. 😀

20 hours ago, jonno said:

Me I can't really touch it... any chance you could stock Schweppes Agrum in bottles or cans as I need an excuse for a trip on Barfy...

How much do you want Jonno? I could even bring it over myself, spending an hour or so in your Man Cave talking about loading rates, still water bending, hogging and sagging would really make my day!

I might bring a nice bottle of Crozes-Hermitage for company though...🤣

Chris

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jonno said:

I need an excuse for a trip on Barfy...

That must be quite an addiction you have to be prepared to go to such lengths. Ed. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

How much do you want Jonno? I could even bring it over myself, spending an hour or so in your Man Cave talking about loading rates, still water bending, hogging and sagging would really make my day!

I might bring a nice bottle of Crozes-Hermitage for company though...🤣

Chris

You can if you like, just don't hog the cave and end up sagging in the big comfy chair especially discussing the thermal efficiencies of free stream compression processes in a Braydon cycle to station 3, are they adiabatic, isentropic or both? Don't tell your friends Chris as they'll all want one but I'll even throw in a copy of Wartsila's encyclopedia of ship technology signed by Jan Babicz himself... now how's that for a keepsake?

...I know, can't wait can you?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

That must be quite an addiction you have to be prepared to go to such lengths. Ed. 

Is right... You know the dance, 'ard core me kidda, I luv that ded boss gear la...