hirondelle

Pont aven WiFi problem

Anyone else having problems getting the WiFi on pont aven? I keep getting stuck on the "your provider may require you to login" but every time I click on connect, it just opens another page saying the same! 

Worked fine on the armorique one the way out. 

It's an android phone, if that makes any difference. 

1 hour ago, hirondelle said:

And 5 minutes later, it's fixed! 

Engineers and big hammers.......works every time..........almost🤣

I think it’s performance is very dependent upon number of users.  On a busy sailing it can be a waste of space.  Having said that, I’d have expected a sailing to Santander in August to have been a busy sailing.

I recall my employer trying very hard to get me to have a company smartphone ….. "you'll be able to receive and respond to e-mails while you're out and about, or at any time of day or night" he said.  Needless to say I continued to survive without the facility - Mrs Nottingham does have one, it bleeps from Whatsap groups incessantly!  When I ask her about the content  it seems to be mostly about  food and gossip.  I get irritated in the supermarkets with people who talk while they shop.  I'm just old school, but I think it was better in the days of posted letters and faxes.

I understand where folk are coming from with disconnecting from everything but having an ill relative who requires reassurance at any given time it’s sometimes a necessity to be constantly in touch with him , there’s always the vibration feature that does away with that irritating beeping.  

• Like 2

Horses for courses! If you want to stay in touch keep connected (if you can!) - if you don't, don't. not noisily in a restaurant though. And BF's 'internet at sea' can be pretty shocking in any case......

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, steveg9 said:

Horses for courses! If you want to stay in touch keep connected (if you can!) - if you don't, don't. not noisily in a restaurant though. And BF's 'internet at sea' can be pretty shocking in any case......

Presumably 'internet all at sea' would be a better name. Ed. 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Aphrodite said:

I climb onboard (the stairs at Plymouth are rubbish) and switch off data roaming as I am on holiday, don't others do the same?

I turn off data roaming pre-boarding as I don’t want to get caught for a huge bill when my phone connects to the satellite.

The wifi on the Baie de Seine was fine two years ago: we could even get it in our Plus cabin on deck 10, enough to download newspapers anyway. Never had this on either CF or Pont Aven.

• Like 1

Yes, that’s a point that cannot be emphasised enough.  Used to be a time when there was no need for data roaming to be on, ever, unless you want massive bills.  But now that roaming on the continent comes at the same rate as your inclusive package, its use overseas has become viable.  But use of data roaming on the ship is still astronomically expensive, so very important to remember to turn it off.

Wont

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Yes, that’s a point that cannot be emphasised enough.  Used to be a time when there was no need for data roaming to be on, ever, unless you want massive bills.  But now that roaming on the continent comes at the same rate as your inclusive package, its use overseas has become viable.  But use of data roaming on the ship is still astronomically expensive, so very important to remember to turn it off.

Won't always be the case though. There are many solutions out there being perfected other than dedicated Sat connections (Royal Carribean Quantum style - £20m for connection to 3 vessels). Some hybrid, some dedicated. There are a few companies using basically "big antenna" to push Wi-Fi signals 40 miles across a body of water. BF operations over the channel would be perfect for such a solution one day, with some routes potentially being fully covered, by a land-based signal and others with a short 'handover' period mid-channel where there would be a gap. Spain would be more difficult, but again not outside the realms of possibility that with rapidly improving techniques they could position stations down the coast of France to reach out to cover the route path, and handover along the way. It's quite an exciting for datacomms, using some fairly rudimentary methods to extend range.

• Like 1

Yes, but why ?

We were in a local restaurant recently and there was a couple (40yo-ish) who were both on their phones for most of the service.

Presumably they were talking to somebody else and not each other !

Call me old fashioned, but I think that what I’ve just described is worrying / sad.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Yes, but why ?

We were in a local restaurant recently and there was a couple (40yo-ish) who were both on their phones for most of the service.

Presumably they were talking to somebody else and not each other !

Call me old fashioned, but I think that what I’ve just described is worrying / sad.

Sad, and rude!

20 minutes ago, BigDW1946 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you switch off data roaming but still use the phone for calls and text, and connect to wifi (assuming it's any good)

Yes, absolutely, and that’s what most people used to do before data roaming became economical.