hirondelle

Pont aven WiFi problem

2 hours ago, BigDW1946 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you switch off data roaming but still use the phone for calls and text, and connect to wifi (assuming it's any good)

If you do, don’t forget that receiving sales calls could cost you £2.40 per minute ! 

Edited by David Williams

I've always found the wifi on PA to be totally pants, if you're on early enough and log in it's not too bad, but once the ship is full and everyone is logged on, may as well forget it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gardian said:

Yes, but why ?

We were in a local restaurant recently and there was a couple (40yo-ish) who were both on their phones for most of the service.

Presumably they were talking to somebody else and not each other !

Call me old fashioned, but I think that what I’ve just described is worrying / sad.

I agree, it annoys me when my friends do it at a meal. But you can't get away from the fact that more and more aspects of life will become dependent on having instant access to communications. Imagine most experiences now for Flights, they all offer, even if not require the facility to do everything digitally and present boarding passed, tickets on phones etc. The ability to do that should make things simpler. It doesn't mean that you have to use devices all the time though, but imagine if you did have access when onboard - someone checking Google Maps would be able to spot traffic jams or problems to avoid on their onward travel for example, whereas someone not using it would just run into those problems.

I think the important thing is to balance what improves your experience whilst away, rather than making the experience away about using your device for other things you could do at home.

When we go out for a meal with friends we put our phones in one of the girls handbags at the start of the night ... the first person to go near their phone pays the entire bill ... lets say we have a very social evening, and not of the media variety.

Should have said ... if you get an incoming call then that's ok ... could be important, but apart from that.

Edited by Geezer

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

When we go out for a meal with friends we put our phones in one of the girls handbags at the start of the night ... the first person to go near their phone pays the entire bill ... lets say we have a very social evening, and not of the media variety.

Should have said ... if you get an incoming call then that's ok ... could be important, but apart from that.

Funny how differently I think.

I would have phone out all the time, but would actively ignore any and all phone calls. :)

My view about WiFi is that if you need it for business / urgent necessary requirements then make your own arrangements. The WiFi on the Pont is pants and that's the way it is. 

Too many folk complain about minor WiFi issues and not extra pastries issues. 

All this talk of phones reminds me of a funny conversation on one of the fastcraft that BF used to hire of Condor. Elderly gent with very loud voice had the following conversation

”yes, we're on the channel” listens to person on other end, then “no, on a boat” What was the question?

16 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Don't forget all the fleet now offers pay WiFi options too now if you need a premium service...

Quite surprised that BF doesn’t throw the enhanced wifi in as part of the package when booking a premium cabin.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Quite surprised that BF doesn’t throw the enhanced wifi in as part of the package when booking a premium cabin.

It is a good idea Gareth As well as adding the options of an a la carte meal etc inclusive. Maybe introduce a "Premium package" or something?

5 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Only if you could actually get it in the cabins. I'm not sure at the moment that the free version reaches that far. Ed. 

21 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Only if you could actually get it in the cabins. I'm not sure at the moment that the free version reaches that far. Ed. 

The free version doesn't but the Premium offering does and is pretty efficient. I consider the 3.90€ for an hours use good value as it allows me to work in the comfort of the cabin undisturbed, certainly better value than the horrendous charges I've had in the past having forgotten to turn off data roaming....O.o

Chris

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

The free version doesn't but the Premium offering does and is pretty efficient. I consider the 3.90€ for an hours use good value as it allows me to work in the comfort of the cabin undisturbed, certainly better value than the horrendous charges I've had in the past having forgotten to turn off data roaming....O.o

Chris

Which ship is that on? Not PA I assume. Ed. 

7 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Chris

Where does the 3.90 come from Chris?

So in reply to both questions I use it either on MSM or Normandie and it appears to be available on most ships. 3.90€ is for 45 minutes, not an hour though

Chris

The info below is from the BF website

Enhanced Wi-Fi options on board

Aboard some of our ships, we also offer an enhanced Wi-Fi service with four options designed to suit your needs. Please note that the service is via satellite so speeds may not be the same as at home or the office.

ON OUR SHIPS SAILING TO / FROM FRANCE

The following ships offer the Wi-Fi service options listed below.

• Armorique
  • Barfleur
  • Bretagne
  • Mont St Michel
  • Normandie
  • Normandie Express
Level No of devices Price
Level 1 - Free Wi-Fi in specific public areas of the ship 1 FREE
Level 2 - Web Browsing up to 45 mins (100MB) 1 €3.90
Level 3 - Social Media up to 1 hour, or Web browsing up to 2 hours (300MB) 2 €9.90
Level 4 - Streaming up to 1 films, Social Media up to 2 hours or Web browsing up to 4 hours. (600MB) 2 €17.90

Level 2, 3 and 4 Wi-Fi is available in all areas of the ship. When paying in Euros, your bank may charge you a transaction fee. Prices shown are per sailing.

For sailings on Pont-Aven to France, please see its options when sailing to Spain.

ON OUR SHIPS SAILING TO / FROM SPAIN

The following ships offer the Wi-Fi service options listed below.

• Cap Finistère
  • Connemara
  • Pont-Aven (also available on sailings to / from France)
Level No of devices Price
Level 1 - Free Wi-Fi in specific public areas of the ship 1 FREE
Level 2 - Basic Web Browsing up to 1 hour (200MB) 1 €5
Level 3 - Social Media up to 2 hours, or Web browsing up to 3 hours (600MB) 2 €14
Level 4 - Streaming up to 2 films, Social Media up to 5 hours or Web browsing up to 7 hours. (1GB) 2 €25

Level 2, 3 and 4 Wi-Fi is available in all areas of the ship. When paying in Euros, your bank may charge you a transaction fee. Prices shown are per sailing.

• Thanks 2

Honfleur will have wifi in all areas of the ship including the cabins. All of the recent newbuilds do.

It's very difficult and time consuming to install on older vessels as each cabin needs an individual router connected to mile and miles of ethernet cable due to a ship basically being a Faraday Cage.

Even caravans and motorhomes suffer badly without a roof antenna and the modern ones are basically made of two very thin sheets of GRP with Styrofoam sandwiched in the middle.

45 minutes ago, jonno said:

Honfleur will have wifi in all areas of the ship including the cabins. All of the recent newbuilds do.

It's very difficult and time consuming to install on older vessels as each cabin needs an individual router connected to mile and miles of ethernet cable due to a ship basically being a Faraday Cage.

Even caravans and motorhomes suffer badly without a roof antenna and the modern ones are basically made of two very thin sheets of GRP with Styrofoam sandwiched in the middle.

Was free wifi promised in the cabins in Honfleur ?

On recent trips on the MSM, I noted a good signal strength in the cabin for the paid for wifi & technically BF could have  free wifi running from the same infrastructure, however commercially they obviously choose not to.

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

Was free wifi promised in the cabins in Honfleur ?

On recent trips on the MSM, I noted a good signal strength in the cabin for the paid for wifi & technically BF could have  free wifi running from the same infrastructure, however commercially they obviously choose not to.

If it was in all cabins, there would be no free wi-fi, because it would grind the bandwidth to a halt everywhere. I think its a case of not ruining an already poor service, rather than commercially trying to push the pay option.

Edited by hf_uk

How good is the premium service out of interest, I’ve never felt the need to use it but considered getting the wife a voucher if it’s a rough crossing and she’s cabin bound for the entire crossing.

49 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

If it was in all cabins, there would be no free wi-fi, because it would grind the bandwidth to a halt everywhere. I think its a case of not ruining an already poor service, rather than commercially trying to push the pay option.

@David Williams Firstly I didn't say it would be free and why should it be, you pay for your service at home and on your phone and many hotel chains want an added cost for top end wifi unless you're in the best rooms? 

No top end maritime wifi is free on any ferry or cruise ship, you pay for it one way or an other whether it be in with the premium cabin price or pre paid voucher.

2018 was a big turning point for maritime consumer tech. They now use high throughput satellites & VSAT hardware with most of the new build ships now using a company called SES Networks. Their up and down latency combined is only 150 milliseconds without packet increase meaning there and back communication speeds are more than 4 times as fast.

All of the major cruise ships are moving over to this and many of the new ferries are having it too. What is used aboard BF's current fleets is essentially out of the arc relying of dated technology, that's why even the premium paid for service is still hit and miss, limited and expensive hence why many begrudge paying.

VSAT tech was tested aboard MSC's Seaside 18 months ago and the internet speeds reached 2.15 Gpbs, streaming TV such as Netflix is now commonplace and she carries over 5000 passengers.

Oceania also offer a service which is guaranteed to be the same as what you have at home, live streaming, Skype, everything. It's free in the top end cabins for everyone else it's about £6 a day.

A service which is fast, reliable and very efficient, I doubt there few who would begrudge the cost if it was what they wanted.

I think in time it will be 'expected' as part the service and will become cheaper or even 'free'.  It's even available on our local bus services these days (not that I use it, but it keeps kids quiet!)

• Like 1