Wight light ..Wight sun

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Surely a typo! That should have read " She's there alwight ". Ed

This is a legacy of the three engine fires on the ‘W’ class. Apparently the ships will not run in winds stronger than 20 knots (gusts to 25 knots), presumably because that would involve the engines wo

Can I put in a word in defence of the cats. As a regular user of the successive cats over 25 years, I am not aware that the crossing time has changed much if at all. (Frequency and provision of late c

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, martijon said:

Wight Light showing as berthing at Gunwharf arm. Any ideas why or is this just a gltch on vessel finder?

Just had a look on the HMS Warrior webcam and she`s there alright..

Really sad to read this thread.  After all the efforts WL went to secure the permissions to operate these boats out of Lymington, seems like the whole thing has  become a shambolic disaster since the C-class was replaced.  Pity.

• Like 1
On 25/08/2019 at 21:16, Hermit said:

Mea culpa - it looks as though the crossings have indeed got slower, without me noticing. Perhaps the Fastcats seemed no faster because of the very slow turn they used to make to tie up at the harbour when I was getting nervous about the train connection.

As confirmation I have rooted out a Wightlink timetable from 1992 which gives a crossing time of ‘approximately’ 15 minutes.

When they were first mooted as a replacement for the Dennys the promotional material went big on a 15 minute crossing, and for commuters wanting an omnibus service that was probably a plus. But for the leisure traveller they were almost completely misguided and the lack of an outside deck was a massive, really massive, error. I disliked them intensely and find the present vessels an improvement. As for the current service frequency I travelled both ways on Bank Holiday Sunday and the loadings were surprisingly light, I would have thought the frequencies were about right. Mind you you have to be my age to know how the carryings have fallen away since the days when the queues could stretch a third of the way down the pier on a summer evening. BR used to run a seven car shuttle train from Pier Head to Esplanade as well as the Shanklin train in connection with each sailing at peak times. 

Edited by Millsy
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, martijon said:

Reading the article, it says 16 extra sailings between Fridays and Mondays - presumably 4 per day, using all 3 vessels in the way they did on the Monday of the Festival tjhis year

I was wondering if that means just two extra round trips per day, that they perhaps just tack them on to the start and end of the day with a two vessel service.

3 hours ago, eagleeye said:

Wightlink have more boats in Southampton than red funnel both the light and the sky are there 

Wight Sky was in refit, now Wight Sun is in refit. The 2 vessels were only together in Southampton for a few minutes while they were swapped over.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's good news, mostly. But it does mean for foot passengers it will mess up the connections with the train service to Lymington Pier that runs every 30 minutes.

There was a time (not that long ago) that the ferries used to run every 30 minutes and so did the trains and they all co-ordinated well. Then Wightlink switched to having departures at seemingly random times and it didn't. Then when they cut the service back to hourly it does at least mean one train an hour connected well with the ferries. However now it won't again.

I do wonder why SWR bother to run through to Lymington Pier at times when there isn't a ferry connection, but I suppose there are a few houses along the road to the ferry terminal (and a pub I believe) so perhaps it is useful for people living there.

Definitely good news. However, as you say, it used to be 30 minutes, which was excellent and very convenient. I remember it only in the days of the C-class however, as far as I was aware the W-class have never run a 30 minute interval. I might be wrong...are they even quick enough to run the old 30min service or is it just too uneconomical? 

I wonder why the Portsmouth to Southampton stopper that gets 8 minutes turn round at Southampton and 57 at Portsmouth does not run through to Lymington Pier to Connect with 1 ferry, Then it could go back to Brockenhurst, do a Lymington Town only, and then back to Portsmouth. Thus town gets its 2 trains an hour and the pier gets the useful 1 per hour. Thus get rid of a wasted unit just trundling up and down all day.

Guess with 40 minute ferry service it is 10 minutes up the river, 20 minute turn round and 10 minutes back down to pass the next vessel at the entrance. So vessel goes up at 1130, arrives 1140, departs 1200 and back down at 1210 arriving in IOW 1240 for 1300 dep arriving at end of river 1330 etc etc. Wondered why its taken them so long.

Edited by adicat
14 hours ago, Pigeonrat said:

Definitely good news. However, as you say, it used to be 30 minutes, which was excellent and very convenient. I remember it only in the days of the C-class however, as far as I was aware the W-class have never run a 30 minute interval. I might be wrong...are they even quick enough to run the old 30min service or is it just too uneconomical? 

No the W-class have never operated every 30 minutes. Though we were assured by Wightlink prior to introduction that they would do, but it never happened.

No the W-class have never operated every 30 minutes. Though we were assured by Wightlink prior to introduction that they would do, but it never happened

I may be wrong but I think there was an assumption that two ships could pass in the Lymington river but that proved to be impractical.