JayKay

Northern Port to France/Spain?

To be even close to economically viable (and I know it won't be even with this) the route and ship would need to sustain a WB Yeats style timetable of being able to do a round trip in 48 hours. So what's the farthest north that would get you from say Cherbourg? Liverpool or Birkenhead? That gives you access to the M62 corridor plus North Wales so would be the best bet by far. You'd need to get access to berths although that might not be impossible.

Perhaps an idea for the future deployment of Stena Mersey and Stena Lagan :)

• Like 1

Ive found this topic intersting, I do the Ply-Ross and return St.Malo Porstmouth approx 5 times a year.

I live 12 miles from Liverpool and dont see this has any legs at all. I can drive down to Plymouth in 5 hours and last week drove back from Portsmouth took 4 hours 15 mins and thats with 50 mph roadworks for 12 miles between Portsmouth and Southampton and the notorious M6 15 miles off roadworks in Staffordshire. 

It's an interesting topic but, and this is a serious question, has any ferry route in the UK ever run in parallel with a road/rail route which is equally convenient to get to the same effective crossing starting point? (I don't accept Southampton in this.) In my minds eye I can't recall any 'dotted line' over the blue bits that would be the equivalent of one running down from L/pool through the Irish Sea and Bristol Channel and then round Lands End before heading for the continent - leave alone one beginning at Glasgow. I know that there were Bristol Channel steamers that worked the French Coast in the early to mid 1800s. 

I'd like to see Motorail resurrected with some massive public investment as part of an actual joined-up transport strategy that shifted the focus away from travel by private car, ever more lorries and onto more environmentally sustainable forms, such as rail (including motorail which could take my camper down to Portsmouth) and high-speed coaches.  And let's make public transport so cheap, or even free, convenient, comfortable and regular that you would have to be insane to want to make the typical short journeys by private car.  And invest in the hydrogen economy.  Could it power ferries as well as buses and trains?

Well, there's no harm in dreaming that we might eventually have a government that puts ordinary people first.

• Like 2

Auchmill ...........

I understand your view, but Motorail was a product of the 70’s / 80’s, wasn’t it ?

A bit like the Silver City aircraft transporting 3 or 4 cars at a time from Lydd to Beauvais in the 60’s / 70/s.

I did both at the time, but they were ‘never for ever’, were they?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Auchmill ...........

I understand your view, but Motorail was a product of the 70’s / 80’s, wasn’t it ?

A bit like the Silver City aircraft transporting 3 or 4 cars at a time from Lydd to Beauvais in the 60’s / 70/s.

I did both at the time, but they were ‘never for ever’, were they?

It felt a lot like forever at the time, particularly in France where the network was huge and and still runs in places, over 60 years since it started.

Up at Stranraer Harbour station the car loading ramp for the service to London Euston remains in place, rusting away.

6 hours ago, hhvferry said:

particularly in France where the network was huge and and still runs in places,

The SNCF do still offer a car transport service (with a range of options) but the traditional overnight transfer now only operates between Paris and five destinations in the South of France. Your car, with all your belongings, leaves Paris at around 8pm, trundles southwards and arrives the following morning. You then take a TGV at around 8am and collect your car from, say, Marseille (assuming it's still in one piece and doesn't have a body in the boot or is riddled with bullet holes) at midday. My friends tested the service to Toulon last year southbound and it worked well. They were in the villa by 3pm after a relaxing trip and the cost was not too bad. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

8 hours ago, hhvferry said:

It felt a lot like forever at the time, particularly in France where the network was huge and and still runs in places, over 60 years since it started.

Up at Stranraer Harbour station the car loading ramp for the service to London Euston remains in place, rusting away.

We thought about using it once but the fact that we had to drive to Brockenhurst first made it seem a bit pointless and it didn't really seem that cheap iirc. I think what really helped to see it off apart from the inconvenience of some of the termini and increasingly reliable cars that didn't use so much juice was BR's introduction of regular and faster, sometimes much faster, clock-face timetabled cross-country trains that didn't require you to negotiate Birmingham New Street in its grottiest days or Crewe. 

10 hours ago, Gardian said:

Auchmill ...........

Well, yes, but trains are so 19thC, and ships so pre CE and so on.  I was suggesting investment in an integrated transport system rather than the non-policy mess we have at the moment, where government kneels down before the car lobby and worships the tarmac they run on.  Eurotunnel looks a bit like Motorail to me, though I've never used it.

Edited by auchmill
  • Like 1